1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

10 Things That Will Improve Your Level of Play

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Pai_Garu, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I know that many of the still active players are looking for ways to improve their game. From watching the recent flood of videos posted by the US and UK players, I decided to start a weekly commentary on specifics aspects of VF that people can work on. I know that some of the things may seem obvious, but it's surprising to see how many people don't utilize them in actual play.

I'll begin by giving the whole list so people can get an idea of the things to come. Each week I will go into more specifics and give examples to explain what each item entails. I'll put this as a sticky and update this post as I go, and any comment or additions are welcome. The list is ordered in advancing order, meaning that as the number goes lower, the more advanced you have become, given that you have mostly understand/apply/hopefully mastered the previous items.

The list of things given below is not meant to be an all inclusive list, but rather a starting point for the discussions that hopefully will follow. These are the main things that I myself see forgetting and also what I think people are forgetting when I watch their vids.

So, to begin these will be the 10 topics I will cover

10) Learn the movelist
    09) Understand Frames
    08) Buffer correctly
    07) Know the correct counter, max dmg combos
    06) Distancing and Movement
    05) Know your defensive options
    04) Throw More (also understanding good choices in nitaku or santaku situations)
    03) Learn to see stance (also raising your overall awareness and reaction)
    02) Learn the small specifics of the game
    01) Play Play Play

***** Explainations *****

10) Learn the movelist

This is something that sounds obvious, and many people think they've done, but doesn't reflect in their play. Every character in VF have a large set of moves, but oftentimes I see people using only 4 or 5 of them. I understand alot of moves are mostly not used, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them. Just because some moves have a bigger risk to it, doesn't mean you should just not use them. Using only a core set of moves makes you predictable, and limits your options and variety. This makes your character easy to read by the opponent, and they will be able to easily exploit your habits.

I think most people may ask, "why would I do anything else other than my best option?" The thing is, when you use your best option moves over and over, a good opponent will be able to read that, and then suddenly, it's not your best option anymore. This concept will be further explored in the later items, but for the sake of keeping the order or things, the key idea here is to remember to use a big subset of your characters movelist, instead of sticking with only a few core moves.

Aside from know the moves of your own character, it's necessary to know the moves of other characters. Again, you shouldn't ignore those moves outside of the core set, because if you are not familiar with those less used moves, when they pop up in a fight, you won't know how to react to it. Know the properties of each move, know the hit level, know if they are counterable, know whether they are circular/half circular, etc.

09) Understand Frames

If you don't know what frames are, simply put, you will never get to a higher level of play. If you haven't already seen zan'nin's (myke's) guide to frames in the VF4 system section, then you would do well to take a look at it now. It may seem a daunting task to learn all the frames in the game, but as you play and take frames into your account while you play, you will be able to know them. Start by knowing the frames of the most often used moves, and slowly build up from there.

So what are the uses of frames? For starters, you will be able to figure out your advantage/disadvantages of all the moves. You'll be able to know when you can be offensive or defensive, you'll be able to understand why your move countered your opponent's move, or vice versa. You'll also be able to know when you should do defensive techs, when you have guaranteed counters, etc. Without frames, all these essential knowledge will not be accessable for you. It's clear to see why it's one of the basics you must understand before you can begin to comprehend and apply the more advance concepts that will be covered later on. This is a logical step up from knowing the movelist, and if you can take the time to learn the frames for all the characters, that is even better. I understand that at this point, most of the veterans may be kind of bored since this is pretty common knowledge; but bear with me, I hope to make this more interesting.

For the vets, at this point, something that can be helpful to do, is to take away your previous understanding of frames and look at them in a new and different way. For example, some of you may look at moves with large disadvantage as risky. Rather than looking at it that way, think of the frames as what kind of defensive tech or possible counter an opponent may have. Instead of thinking certain moves are uncounterable, think of it as what kind of advantage the opponent will get, and the kinds of guessing game you forced upon yourself when you get that move blocked. Looking at the frames in this kind of perspective will allow you to think of frames in terms of the whole game, instead of focusing only on yourself.

08) Buffer correctly

Now we are beginning to advance to beyond the very basics. Many times I hear people complain: "I escaped that throw!" "I dodged!" "How did that *some move* beat my attack?" "I thought *some move* was guaranteed after me guarding your move?* All these question, 99 out of 100 cases are a result of bad buffering. This is something often overlooked by many people, especially in the heat of battle. For example, when a move is -8, a throw is guaranteed, but if you input the throw a little too slow, even just a frame, you will get counter hitted if the opponent followed up with an attack. Another commonly misbuffered situation is doing throw escapes. Oftentimes after a throw guaranteed move. Most players input throw escape as soon as they see their move being blocked, but this is the wrong thing to do. Every move have a buffer window for throw escape, and the longer the move, the longer you have to wait before you input it. These are just some of the common mistakes that many people often overlook in their play, and it's necessary for everyone to make sure they stop doing that.

Something that you can start by doing is to get used to a varied rhythm of play. For example, when a match slows down, many people tend to react slowly, so they wait and execute their next move. A good example is after blocked a lp, many people are too slow in executing their mids, and gets hit by the second lp. This kind of mistake needs to be eliminated for you to get to the next level. Even when a match slows down, you can not let up in your pace. If you are not doing a delayed attack, make sure you buffer your moves as tight as possible, so you don't lose even one frame of advantage. In the case of throw escapes, make sure you are doing it in the correct window. This is something that simply requires you to practice at home in training mode to get the timing. If you are not familiar with your movelist yet, then this is one of the things that demonstrates how important it is. In the case of ETEG's, you must learn to input the dodge at the right time. Many times people get into the habit of always buffering dodges or doing it too early, and it's one of the chief reasons why people get hit during evades, missed throw escapes, or counter hit because the dodge never happened.

07) Know the correct counter, max dmg combos

Now that we've moved beyond much of the basics, we will talk about something more detailed. At this point, you should have a very good knowledge base of every character's moves. This is a requirement from now on, and it's the foundation of what is being discussed now.

I'm sure many of you have thought to yourself, "I've hit this guy more than he had hit me, but why did I still lose?" Well, I can tell you this, you don't know the correct counter or your max dmg combos. The idea here is to capitalize on every possible chance that you can get. If you have a chance to take more damage off of your opponent, then you should. There's no point to counter a -15 move with a low punch or a simple p, but unfortunately, this is what many people do on reaction. Same goes with combos, you simply have to get out of the habit of doing a less damaging combo just because it's easier or it doesn't require stance watching or simply because of a lack of knowledge. Start looking through VFDC for the max dmg combos and practice them, and get in a habit of doing them. I can guarantee that most of the players looking to reach the next level can not simply for what was just described.

Another advantage of knowing the max damage combo and the correct counters is the expanded guessing games that you can go from there. Once you have demonstrated your ability and knowledge to consistently do max dmg combos and appropriate counters, your opponent may go into a state where they expect and let you do those things. This will pay off when you notice that they are letting their guard down during those times. This is when you can get flashy and do the unexpected. For example, when something is p counterable, the opponent may forgo doing throw escapes and wait for you to do the p and then ETEG. You can score a free throw for a bigger reward if that is the case. Another example, characters with low throws may mix up their combo when the opponent expects a max dmg combo to result in an earlier landing. If the opponent wasn't paying attention, he may not TR, and you can score a free ground throw for extra dmg. This is something often done by the flashier japanese players, but they are able to do these kinds of things because of the extra layer of guessing that you build by projecting a certain expectation onto your opponent.

6) Distancing and Movement

At this point, you should be a proficient VF player with quite a bit of foundation knowledge. You should have little problem playing this game at close range, where the majority of the game takes place. This heading will now help you improve on where the rest of the game takes place, mid to long range. Before I go into distancing, I'll talk about movement first. Those of you who are not beginners should already know that movement in VF largely involves dashing, evade, crouch dashing, and a bit of jumping and moving around back turned. The first three are what I will focus on.

As many of you already know, dashes can be cancelled by evades, and evades can be cancelled by crouch dashes. That is the fundamental of VF movement. Using these in conjuction with one another is what stepping is all about. You might think it's cool to be able to move around the ring really quick in a flashy manner, but in fact, 99% of the time it's not to your advantage to do so. Don't get me wrong, stepping is definitely a major weapon for every VF player, but it's something that should be used in a very controlled fashion, similar to everything else in VF. Let me explain to you why.

We all would like to do some crazy looking stepping while we are facing our opponents, because it looks cool and it makes it look like we are technically better. If you are doing crazy stepping during a match, you fall into one of these 3 categories.
    1. You are moving towards your opponent.
    2. You are moving around in place with or without evades.
    3. You are moving away from your opponent.
    Once you think of it in this context, it should become obvious why it's usually not a very good idea to step around in a wild fashion. If you are moving towards your opponent, you are putting yourself in range for them to hit you. If you are moving around in place with evades, you are spending frames moving around and opening yourself up for attacks and/or slowing down your next input. If you are moving away from your opponent, you are giving grounds to your opponent and trapping yourself to the edge of the ring. Of course, there may be instances where you want to do such things on purpose, but these reasons show you why it's mostly not a good idea to wildly step around.

Now, on the other hand, you can do steps in these 3 categories in an advantageous manner.

If you want to move towards your opponent. Crouch dash in cautiously. Be aware when you are within range of the opponent's long reaching attacks. This of course goes back to knowing the movelist. Since crouch dashing puts you in a crouch position, it makes a difficult guess for the opponent to attack you. They key to crouch dashing into range is to close in into mid range. This is just outside of the throw range. This will usually bait the opponent into retaliating or back dash to keep the distance. Either way, it's to your advantage. Most people will go for a long range mid attack to keep you in check, you can anticipate this to your advantage by either blocking it, evading it, or sabaki when applicable.

If you want to move in place, two good possibilities are forward dash cancelled by back crouch dash, or forward crouch dash cancelled by back crouch dash. These movements can be done quickly enough to potentially bait your opponent or simply to keep you in motion so you don't freeze up. Standing and holding block tends to make people freeze especially when the opponent dashes in suddenly. Follow this up with crouch dashing towards or away from your opponent.

If you want to move away from your opponent, you can simply crouch dash back over and over, or something that I like to do is to crouch dash back one followed by a back dash. These two simple movements combined is enough to move you away to mid to long range from your opponent. Sometimes you want to back dash away from the edge of the ring to prevent a potential ring out, these movements can accomplish exactly that. In addition, remember to be caution just like when you are crouch dashing forward; since the opponent may try to dash in and attack, you can always stand up and guard any mid level attacks. If you know your opponent's movelist, you will have a good idea what he can execute from that range or from a running state.

Now I'll talk a bit about specific movements that are used often as evasive options. The often used term 'box stepping' consists of a back dash -> evade -> forward crouch dash. Subsets of these three movements are also used often, such as back dash evade and evade crouch dash. Many people all have different ways of using these defensive movements, so I'll just highlight some of the key considerations when using each of these maneuvers.

Back Dash -> Evade - Due to the back dashing in the beginning of these commands, the evade will execute slower than normal. This is important because depending on your input speed, it is possible to be hit during the back dashing. Further more, since you are not cancelling the evade at the end, in the case of a failed evade, you can be throw depending on the distance of the back dashing before the evade. This move is useful when you are in mid to long range.

Back Dash -> Evade -> Crouch Dash - The longest and most complicate input of the three. The advantage here is that you are attempting to cover all bases by mixing an evade delayed variably by a back dash, and then cancelling the evade in case of a failed evade. This movement, when done in certain circumstance, constitutes what's called ARE or VIP. More detail on this can be found elsewhere on VFDC. This is obviously a very powerful technique, but also the hardest to execute, so decide for yourself if it's something you want to utilize in your game. This move is useful mainly in close range. Try to stay away from doing this in mid range, because it's possible to be hit when you are crouch dashing. At long range, there's almost no value in using this.

Evade -> Crouch Dash - Immediate evade followed by crouch dashing. The idea here is to evade immediate and cancelling the evade with a crouch dash in case it fails. In the case of a successful evade, you will be given advantage in a crouching state. This can be good or not as good depending on which character you use, since certain characters have very good counter attacks from a crouching position, and some characters have better ones from a standing position, so this is something that will differ stylistically.

--Now onto distancing.--

For most characters, we can break this down to close, mid, and long range. Some characters have moves from outside long range, but in most cases, their usefulness are very little, so I will avoid them in this particular discussion.

We can define them in this sense:

Close - close enough to land a throw.

Mid - Just outside throw range.

Long - Just reachable with long reaching attacks suck as side kick.

Of course, depending on your character and the way you play, mid and long range can be defined differently. Each character have different strengths from each range, but since this is something that differs depending on personal style and habits, I'll again highlight key considerations as above.

Close Range - This is where a large percentage of matches will take place. It's the heart and soul of the VF system. It's in this range where you will have the most options and most variety. At this range, you can pretty much throw any attack and it will make contact. Of course, this applies to your opponent as well, so beware of using moves with high execution carelessly. This is where your frame knowledge will come into use. The most often coined terms nitaku, yomi, santaku comes into play here. This subject will be covered later on in more depth.

Mid Range - While outside of the throw range, most character are marginally limited in their movelist. Fast, short reaching attacks like low punch will be in effective here. Back dashing/ Evade is almost the most powerful at this range. As the aggressor, you should be trying to closing in range, and prepare to go with flow charts that begins at disadvantage. Good options here are long reaching mid attacks, like side kicks. Mid sabaki's, for this reason is a very useful tool both as the aggressor and as the non aggressor. Another good option here is low kick. Since most low kicks are semi circular, not only is it possible to beat evades, but people looking for mid attacks will be hit by this option. You should again, expect to go into flowcharts that begins with disadvantage, since most low kicks on normal hit puts you at a disadvantage. Now that you know the good options at this range, you can figure out how to defend yourself at this range. Use back dash in conjuction with evades at times, and look for whiffing mids or lows. If you get a whiffed mid, use your faster high launchers if possible for best dmg. Throws are also an option if you are close enough. Otherwise go with jab flow charts or knock down moves. In the case of a whiffed low, go for long range mids like side kicks. Most characters will either knock down or cause stagger, then follow from there. You can now see that the main goal at mid range is to either close in the distance as the aggressor, or take advantage of that as a non aggressor by making your opponent whiff. Therefore, it is necessary you are adept at keeping this distance so you either don't whiff, or can be close enough to take advantage of a whiff.

Long Range - This is the range where both fighters are severely limited in useful moves. If your opponent doesn't have a running move, it's almost impossible to attack at this distance. Your best bet is to slowly move into Mid range, where you can have most defensive and offensive options. Being in long range also means you are close to the wall or the edge of the ring, so depending on the siuation, this can be an important factor in ring out considerations.

To sums things up a bit, the most important thing about distancing is what you do at each distance. Too often I see players move in at Long range with long reaching moves, only to eat a huge combo. Too often I see players randomly doing high execution moves at close range, only to be MC'ed (this is debatable, due to reverse nitaku). The key point to remember, nevertheless, is that be mindful of your distance at all times. Learn to move with the opponent, and anticipate his movement. This is especially true at Mid range. For example, at mid range, attack when you are expecting your opponent to close in. This works the other way around, fake your movement as if you are moving in, and make the opponent whiff. Make sure you are not randomly throwing things out and hoping to make contact. Make a relaxed list of moves of your character that you think might be most useful at each distance. Focus in on these moves and think about their applications in each given distance, in each given situation, against each opponent. To go another step further, do the same for every character, and learn how you might counter their tactics. If you can do this, you will have taken your game up another step.

That's it for now, until next week.

2. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Srider, buddy get a life!

3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Well, although this might appear to be useful, it will really only help beginners. I am no expert, but I know/can do all of the points on the list (unless there are some strange 'small specifics' that I don't know about). Now given that a lot of people are better than me, and even more people know the game better than I do, I would think that this may have been much more useful earlier on.
    I mean, how many people don't know their characters moves list, or dont know what moves are throw/hit counterable?
    Still, it was a good idea, and could help a few people, but it seems like a lot of work on your behalf, for something that may not benifit too many people.
    If you want to do a page to help people, it would be much easier to just tel everyone to pick Jeff, and whore the Kenka Hook all day. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Bibulus

Bibulus Well-Known Member

umm for #6 I dont know if its different for VF but often times in other 3D fighters (Tekken and Soul Calibur) you can use a lesser damage combo for better okizeme options. Max damage may look best on paper but what works on paper isnt always best in a match...

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I'm looking forward to next week's write up. I was sharing this list with GoatCheeseBlues - he recommended discussing hit-checking, I'm guessing this could be covered in Thing #9.

I generally learn things slowly. They don't stick in my head until I have that "a-ha!" moment. I've found that every time I read a FAQ or strategy discussion, I'll pick up on something I missed the last time. Also, I've noticed that when I'm researching any topic, every document seems to contain at least one thing I didn't know. I hope you finish this list.

Thanks for all the work you're doing.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    This is something that sounds obvious, and many people think they've done, but doesn't reflect in their play. Every character in VF have a large set of moves, but oftentimes I see people using only 4 or 5 of them. I understand alot of moves are mostly not used, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them. Just because some moves have a bigger risk to it, doesn't mean you should just not use them. Using only a core set of moves makes you predictable, and limits your options and variety. This makes your character easy to read by the opponent, and they will be able to easily exploit your habits.

[/ QUOTE ]

the basis of virtua fighter is Nitaku, this isnt predictability it's choice, and cant be fully covered by a single anticipation. closing down your opponent's choices by keeping safe and using solidifyed techniques is what will improve your game, and not by learning to play "unpredictable" ----- using a mix-up or an anticipation method is a different subject to this. it means you know your opponent's situation, and you know what choices *they* have as well as your own.

when you face players who have a strong fuzzy guard, you pulling off a "suprize attack" will be covered like 20 frames ahead of you. because if they can cover themselves completely at -2, why cant they cover themselves when a bigger sloppier attack is thrown at them unnecesarily?

if there is one thing i learned about this game it's the effects of a good defense. these narrow your choices, and makes "tricking" your opponent useless. so learning your most important moves, and handling a vast moveslits well is very much more key, in my honest oppinion.

if you read yosuke's posts in the pai thread, it is pretty much ALL about prioritizing your attacks.

7. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I also don't think that people should jump to the conclusion that they have mastered their character's movelist. It is one thing to know that the character has a specific movelist. It is another to know all the situations in a match in which a specific move can be leveraged to create damage and/or give you the advantage.

I know that for me personally (I do not claim to be a master or even very good by VFDC standards). I find that if I take time off from playing I lose moves from my 'working movelist'. As I play more, I remember moves that I already knew.

A person who has mastered his entire movelist, as the legendary Bruce Lee would stay, would have no style. He would flow like water and be completely formless and unpredictable. I think we would do well to heed his advice and take a quick look at our movelists again to make sure that we are using all of our options to the fullest.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

when you face players who have a strong fuzzy guard, you pulling off a "suprize attack" will be covered like 20 frames ahead of you. because if they can cover themselves completely at -2, why cant they cover themselves when a bigger sloppier attack is thrown at them unnecesarily?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Srider's saying that you should use any move in any situation. The important thing about knowing your movelist is not only what your attacks are, but also when you should be using them. For example, a slower attack is ideal when you have lots of advantage, such as after a tech roll. I don't think anybody is saying you should find a slow and rarely used move and "surprise" your opponent when you're +2. Although, depending on your opponent, this may indeed work...

Srider, good thread!

9. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    [ QUOTE ]
    04) Throw More (also understanding good choices in nitaku or santaku situations)

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there a thread that acts as a glossary of Japanese terms? I just spent a half hour looking up "nitaku", which I believe is a simple forced choice; and "santaku" of which I have no clue of the meaning.

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Quite literally, nitaku in Japanese means two-choice: ni = two, taku = choice.

So, san in Japanese means three, so santaku is three-choice. I'll let Srider explain what a santaku situation is.

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Myke, that's completely fair, but i didnt get that from the statement i was quoting~

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's clearly based apon predictiability and breaking attack habits, but i think that the basic habits you learn with the moves you have controlled will be the basis of a very strong attack game. and i urge not to stray too far from that foundation.

basically, in every situation, there are things which you have learnt to do, and things which you learn not to do. if i was talking about bigger attacking with larger nitaku, i would straight away think of -10 launchers- and this isnt extreme risk. if i was going to throw out an SS from wolf, it's only because A) i would have conditioned it to a backdash or a choice anticipation. or B) because i know it has good evasive proporties, so it's unusual to interrupt (and tracks one way).

if i am talking about Oki, or any rise-from-crouch situation, your risk cant afford to be greater, because this is where fuzzy guard is most strong. if there is a frame gap where the opp cant fuzzy TRs, it isnt likey to occur often if unpredictably large attacks are thrown into it. all i stated is witnessing a strong defense game, and all i learnt is to have a stronger attack plan.

if you learn to use bigger attacks to trap anti-linear measures, then this is another issue, but it isnt to do with expanding on the moves which are unused at all.

12. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

I gotta say I agree with BK on this, as I have found what he says to be applicable to myself, and to most players I know of, especially that of the 'core' of your gameplan...

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Back in times I played Tekken there was a large discussion at tekkenzaibatsu in topic, where one man sayed, taht with good reactions you can beat any mix-ups (nitaku) because every move have some exe phase which allow you to see this move, so your deffence will be bullet-proof and you will beat anyone from this world. But true is I NEVER saw anyone who will be able to see good nitaku and react all the time correctly. And one of my friend once sayed that good deffence is good, but you will never do even the smallest damage to your opponent (if he is good) ONLY because good defence - and no damage means you will loose. /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

What I mean is that real play is not 2-way (ie nitaku) but (I think) 6-way - you can block, crouch, ss, backdash, throw-escaping or try to counter; plus you can combine this possibilities. If you will use only few of your movelist, it will be easilly that normal for youry opp to react correctly, because
    A) he will learn during some period of time to see and react on that few of your attacks
    B) he will find which of this options is better to use in which situation
    C) normally (not all the time, but most) if you use only few attacks, you will use them in some "strings" or "setups"

And this three points are stuff, which make you predictible exactly as Strider say.

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

A) -- tekken doesnt play the same nitaku game as VF, because VF plays it with instant attack or throw. Tekken's throw window sucks. everything you listed as 6-taku comes under a catagory of 2 in VF. because you cant move away / duck from a throw window above small disadvantage.

B) -- fuzzy guard is not guessing nitaku, it's a coverage on both choices and can be done at anytime below -2. rise from crouch can be done at any safe disadvantage. this means that outside move recovery disadvantage, you dont even need to know what the next move is, you've pretty much already blocked it. -- makes predictability weak

C) -- punishable moves should be used because it either has good proporties, or for a high-reward choice anticipation. i emphisize attack priority, because there are moves you must do and choice games you must play, or else you have big fat holes in your game and get low P whored. -- end of line.

srider made a great thread, any player input will make it more effective i think, keep it comming~

15. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

In Evo2k3, I walked away with one round (not match) each from Ohsu, Chibita, and Kofu Megane. The most enjoyable one of these was my bout with Kofu, where I played my Kage versus his Aoi in the Harbor stage. I led off with some [P][P][4][P] foolishness, got YYed into some wall damage, and pretty much cursed my predictability. I then threw out some other clutch ninja play, and got a little over 1/4 of his lifebar while I was down to just a bit left. I then let loose with [6][6][K]+[G], which caught him backdashing for nice damage, then [6][6][P]+[K]+[G] into wall. After we both recovered, I went backturned and immediately spammed out good ol' [BT] [P]+[G] catch throw for the win. Let no one say that unpredictable moves can't net you rounds.

Note: Kofu Megane whipped my ass the next three rounds with little to no mercy. Unpredictability does have a lot of value, but it's still no replacement for solid knowledge and experience with the game.

16. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

I'll share my experiences with the game as I feel personally I have gotten better. 1) Know that there is textbook, and there is the unorthodox solution to pretty much any situation that arises in VF
    ex: Brad v Akira - Brad does L. sway knee which leaves him at -1 on block so it's pretty ok to low P there, let's say you get in that situation 3 times and the Akira player wants to take advantage, situation arises a 4th time L. sway knee - low P, the Akira player predicts that and does back dash SHRM and takes his 70 damage because you low P. He expects you not to adapt so it arises a 5th time, L. sway knee, he backdash SHRMs in anticipation of the low P but the Brad player dashes in and does 66K that hits on CH and gets Brad his 90 damage combo there.

That's just an example of a typical non textbook situation that can arise because though your textbook options at -1 are numerous, most of them are straight textbook defensive option which doesn't get you damage and as such will not discourage your opponent from using a really good option that will get him a lot of damage in that sort of situation, bear these things in mind.
    2) That being said, you still need to know all your textbook options in a situation cause if you don't get that far, then you will be playing straight guessing games at all points in time and any thing you can do to cut down the number of guessing games your playing, the better off your game will be for it.

3) Understand your character: now Srider used the more detailed terminology for these things but when I say this, I use it all encompassingly (know and understand your movelist, know your combos in every situation, hit or counterhit, open or closed stance, per the characters, and as stated above, max damage is not always the best option, if one will ring out, you should know that, if one will catch your opponent sleeping for extra damage, predict that, know throw breaks, know situation specific knowledge, know the techniques and there applications, what beats what, and ABOVE ALL in my mind, mix up because predictability is far worse than predictability in ANY OTHER GAME because you will suffer so much worse for it in this game).

4) Know everything about the game and assume that everyone knows as much as you do: by this I mean, no matter what from your opponent, assume they know as much as you do until you see some solid intel to tell you otherwise, exploit, exploit, exploit there weaknesses until they either change or just die from it. You can take any misunderstanding of a given situation and make them suffer for it, know these things and make them pay for it because you can assume if your not making them pay for it, they will make you pay for it.

This is just my ideas on it ATM, I have more but I will be sharing that later /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm... Do you argue with me or do you deflate me? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif Dunno how to react now /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Lol /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think he's just simply stating things the way they are, I don't think he's trying to cuss the Tekken series if thats what your on about.

19. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I sleep 5 hours during last three dayes and all the other time I spend with work. I was not just sure what he means... I don't care what he thinks about Tekken, I played that game and I don't play it now... I just don't get if he is arguing against me (ie about predictibility) or if he is makeing dumb from me /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif
    BTW Nothing hard now /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

that's a great post SH, thank you for sharing your points, these are informative.

i'll state firstly and foremostly (incase any points are related to mine inwhich im not particualrly assuming) -- that i never assumed you must repeat the same choice. the basis of your well-studied attack game will give you a better standing against solid defense, and please note that choice anticipation is part of your well-studied attack game, especially if you use something like akira's shrlm as a favourable choice (and people do).

i discussed a few things:-

- the basis of your attack patterns being firmed, unbroken, primary, strong, solid.

- choice anticpation (not unpredictablitiy as an attacker) - it requires some form of knowlege of the situation, your move, and your opponent's choices.

[ QUOTE ]
    ex: Brad v Akira - Brad does L. sway knee which leaves him at -1 on block so it's pretty ok to low P there, let's say you get in that situation 3 times and the Akira player wants to take advantage, situation arises a 4th time L. sway knee - low P, the Akira player predicts that and does back dash SHRM and takes his 70 damage because you low P. He expects you not to adapt so it arises a 5th time, L. sway knee, he backdash SHRMs in anticipation of the low P but the Brad player dashes in and does 66K that hits on CH and gets Brad his 90 damage combo there.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are a few notes here:

note:1 -- it took atleast 3 times for both players to make another move. it's better that you know to low P more than not.

note:2 -- each player makes a choice anticipation based on furthur knowege of the attacker's options. in the same way as i discussed using wolf's SS as a backdash attack on advantage --- to beat the option of low P, and an ETEG together. when you could easily use nitaku instead -- (but not forgetting that nitaku is your most important game.)

even so, none of it promotes the use of both player's underused moves. /versus/images/graemlins/indifferent.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

no doubt you have already covered most of this in your original post, i just wanted to single out some points incase i missed any myself.