1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

10 Things That Will Improve Your Level of Play

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Pai_Garu, Oct 18, 2005.

1. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

no problem BK, I used that example because that is a situation that could very easily come up and low P is a very good option so it's important to know there are good ways to beat it that result in good damage but also to know that it's also possible to beat the beater and so on and so on.
    some more points to add on:
    it's very feasible to assume that your opponent will adapt to your adaptation and use that against you hence those things you'll see in videos from time to time that seem out of left field.

because peoples moves are underused doesn't mean their useless. I hardly ever see the use of 2P+K, 6P or any other iterations of that string in Brad vids but truth is though it's underused, I think it's one of the best moves. It's guaranteed after almost all sweeps so you block low and you will get his free 60 pt combo there. Also it's a great anti evade tool because if they evade the first one and try and do something, the 2nd one will track and will hit on counter for the 60 pt combo again. It's another good mid for him, and it becomes safer since it can be delayed so long that it being just throw counterable is almost ludicrous. The only 1 move in VF that I would say is completely without redemption is 8P+K with Kage. Some moves maybe more limited than others but still with purpose.

People debate on this because they'll see good people doing things that aren't "frame dependent" but in my experience, you NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to know frames to be competitive. If you don't know what the best option is in a given situation, then you can't beat that option (on purpose at least). At least a basic understanding of guaranteeds, sm, md and lg advantages and disadvantages (though I feel there are more advantages to knowing specific numbers) is required because if not, you can assume your opponent will have you on that.

This just doesn't get brought up a lot, and it's something basic but it's important and it isn't mentioned often enough: be wary of the ring position at all times. If your facing Kage and he can ring you out with a TFT (as any Kage player I know would know), then you need to know this too to make sure that he doesn't get a free win due to your lack of attentiveness. If an elbow will wall stagger your for free HUGE damage, just make sure you know that and try and deal accordingly. The reward of a move can change with ring position but the risk stays exactly the same.

This is the most anime thing that I will prolly ever say in life but: you really don't have limitations beyond what your willing to do. If you don't have the passion, then that is your limitation. If you physically can't do something then that is A limitation, but that is no reason to give up on the game. You can do combos with practice or you have something mentally or physically wrong with you but then you could pick a character with easier combos (not everyone is an Akira player, trust it).

More later /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. scrabbler1

scrabbler1 New Member

A very interesting and informative thread... Thank you all.

3. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    When is he going to finish his breakdown?

4. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Haha, I thought no one was interested. I'll continue now due to you guys.

5. Krafty Matt

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    I appreciate that. Lots of good information in there, even for those people that might have been playing fighting games for a LONG LONG time (such as my self) but have a desire to achieve another level of play and fun.

6. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

I know I appreciate your post. It's well written, and very insightful. Definitely good for both experienced players, and newbies like me. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

Good work, Srider! but where is #6 and the rest? dont tell me it's pay per view:p

8. mike2095

mike2095 New Member

Speaking as someone who is completely new(I played a lot of VF2 in the arcade, nothing in almost 12 years!!!), I'm really looking forward to the rest of this. Keep going!

9. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    08) Buffer correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this section is more about hit checking.

if you see your opponent better than you see yourself, then buffering will be out of understanding how to interrupt your opponent, when you see an opening.

because you cant expect to buffer frames out of reaction, only out of anticipation, and / or knowing its your next choice. hit checking is seeing what's comming next, and buffering a good response folloup.

nice thread, dont stop~!

10. Krafty Matt

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    [ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

10) Learn the movelist
    09) Understand Frames
    08) Buffer correctly
    07) Know the correct counter, max dmg combos
    06) Distancing and Movement
    05) Know your defensive options
    04) Throw More (also understanding good choices in nitaku or santaku situations)
    03) Learn to see stance (also raising your overall awareness and reaction)
    02) Learn the small specifics of the game
    01) Play Play Play

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be perfectly honest with you guys. I love to play fighting games, they were what I was raised on since Kung Fu and Street Fighter. I was in my prime when I was sharking games of Tekken 3 at all the SoCal arcades. My problem is that I have a wife, children, job, and a night volunteer job that take up all of my time and effort. I do not get to play as much as I would like, and when I usually do find the time to play it is either very early in the morning or very late at night. I do not get to arcades like I used to, and I do not have the luxury of people I know that can play at the hours that I do.

I am in full agreement with anyone that says that you need real people to play against, but like I said... that is a luxury that is few and far in between. Right now I am just looking to improve on the items listed above. Are these things that I can improve on just on the console alone? I am knowledgable about the theory of fighters, but with VF I feel that I am at a scrub level of play at best. At what difficulty does the CPU fighter become less human and more borg like?

I will try and free up my thursdays when i can to join all you SoCal players at AI, but I need a bit of practice and refreshment first. My first meetings with you all at Plague's was a little embarassing as my skills were not what I would have liked them to be, but that does not mean that I would not want to get better and join you all again.

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hey there, ~

firstly, i think that true improvement isnt playing other people.

i think it's solidifying game areas. which is exactly what you will be doing by reading this thread. understanding things on theory means you can only reckognize, and either lose to it, or beat it vs an opponent. if you lose too it, you can only know why through theory.

competition is just practical experience -- getting used to performing, and reckognizing situations visually, it trains response, and alteration. and where opponents dont play by a theoretical structure, you learn to defend by learning "how" to defend (essentially through theory).

the way i see it, is that too many people improve with opponents, will only learn their opponents. where as improving is academic training, and shows able to deal with any given situation.

having said that, people to play is always useful as a measuring scale, and shows your own weaknesses very quickly. so i guess both hand in hand is the full package.

EDIT: final arcade in quest mode is designed to play the VF system in it's purest form. so it's where you learn the most essential training.

12. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

EDIT: final arcade in quest mode is designed to play the VF system in it's purest form. so it's where you learn the most essential training.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Sega east or the special battle center.

13. Pai_Garu

Sega East.

14. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    [ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

Haha, I thought no one was interested. I'll continue now due to you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been checking this thread everyday for updates. I appreaciate you and BK's input. Keep it coming.

15. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Great thread strider this is the first time ive had a chance to sit down read and undertand it at the same time. Please keep it coming /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. Pai_Garu

ok I updated this thread finally after solving my ISP problem.

This is a long one, I hope it's useful /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

17. tianyuan2k2

tianyuan2k2 Well-Known Member

cant wait to read...

18. Heta_Akira

Heta_Akira Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

ok I updated this thread finally after solving my ISP problem.

This is a long one, I hope it's useful /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very useful!!
    Please finish explaining the other topics as soon as possible.

After that, I would like your permission to take your information, translate to spanish and put it in the VF e-learning section of HonMaru: VideoFighting en R.D.

Of course, I will give you full credit for it. I just want to give the change to any dominican that can't understand English to read this great information.
    I am planning to do this same thing with a lot of the info of this site. Of course, I will always ask for consent of the author.

Regards,

19. WARCHILD

WARCHILD Member

...or instead of spending the hours learning all this stuff, spend it in the real world learning how to fight for real, LOL. I know Aoi's movelist, use her throws a lot (you have to if you play as Aoi), and try to use as many moves as possible. But I don't really spend the time learning every possible situation in the game. I mainly play Kumite, and have not seen a single arcade in my area. I can only wonder at how I'd stack up against real players. How would you guys compare the top level CPU fighters in Kumite vs. real arcade competition? Similar, easier, harder? How could I gauge my level of ability?

20. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

You haven't started to play the game until you've gotten some real VS. You should try making an effort into getting to meet some ppl (NY has some of / the best players I think if they're still around)