1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

1P+K

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Combolammas, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I've been wondering about this move for awhile. Does anyone use this? It seems like it could be useful if used at the correct situations.

I did a basic rundown in dojo vs P, d+P and elbow in diffent situations. I did these vs Kage.

+2 done with [P], -2 with [3][3][P] -3 with [1][P], -5 with [6][P], -6 with [8][K]+[G]. I also tried using it after [K] with little success (-5, too close) and [3][K] (-6, usually too close)

+2 vs P: up close loses, further avoids.
    -2 vs P: always avoids
    -3 vs P: open stance avoids always, closed stance same a +2
    -5 vs P: same as -3
    -6 vs P: closed stance always avoids, open loses up close, avoids further away.

+2 vs d+P: always avoids
    -3 vs d+P: always avoids
    -5 vs d+P: always avoids
    -6 vs d+P: always avoids

+2 vs EL: always loses, however backdash into [1][P][K] always avoids
    -3 vs EL: always loses, backdash into move impossible upclose but works further away.
    -5 vs EL: Works surprisingly well after Laus [6][P]. Always works if not point blank and even at point blank you can backdash into move from both stances, though it's pretty hard.
    -6 vs EL: Works if not right next to opponent. The backdash could work here but I didn't test.

Conclusions:

- Laus hitbox moves backward a suprisingly good bit almost immediately at the moves start.
    - It probably works better from open than closed since characters usually are a bit further away from each other in open stance because of front foot hitbox collision.
    - Most of this stuff seems to work at small disadvantages as long as you aren't right on your opponents skin.
    - Not the hottest move at large disadvantages although I could avoid everything at -8 from WS [K] if done far away so it has potential.

I also tried hitting it against some strings in quest mode. Not much success but I did manage to avoid Kages [4][K][K][K] last hit, wooo.

Also, here's the stats for the move

18 damage, MP, -1DP sober, linear
    23 frames, block -9, hit -1, MC +5

So, does anyone use this? Any ideas for it? It seems decent I just never tried using it before.

2. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I use it from time to time, mostly at middle range on disadvantage. It's got nice evasive properties, but the return on NH is not that good, so not something I want to use a lot. 1p is often the better move in similar situations, since the return on hit (any hit) is just way better. It also provides you with more options if you are blocked (obviously). The only advantages 1p+k has over 1p is that it seems to have slighty better evasive properties (hitbox seems to move backwards a bit more) and the fact that it hits mid.

This move works wonders vs opponents that want to pressure after you hit them with ppp4k (and 3ppp4k, 4p+kppp4k etc.), with a backdash (cancel immediately into 1p+k), you can even avoid Akira's elbow! [​IMG]

Someone should test if this move gives advantage on mC! I might be playing offline vs some people tomorrow, I'll test it there if noone has done it by then.

3. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I don't really use 1P anymore. Slow, high, worse range than 46P and the evasion doesn't seem worth going for. The options on block and the damage are nice though so I see the benefits. The downsides of the first hit don't appeal to me much though. Still, dead on spacing vs elbow with this move could work for 50+ dmg. I guess I'll try working with 1P again too, haha.

I'll have to check some of your matches to see how you use it. New tricks are always good.

As for -1 from 1P+K I don't think it's too bad. Lau has good options vs most basic stuff from -1 and it's generally pretty easy situation to play safe.

4. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Yeah, but if you're using 1p+k it's usually to get out of a situation where you're at disadvantage, no? So when you use this move for that and you hit someone on NH, you're gonna find yourself at disadvantage again. Yes, Lau has plenty of options against that, but it's still disadvantage.

These kinds of moves to me are moves that should reverse a certain situation. To reverse the roles of attacker and defender in an instant. This move doesn't really do that, it just gets you out of certain tight spots. I don't like putting myself at the risk of eating a damaging counter hit just for that (I still use the move from time to time, though [​IMG] ), I'd rather use defensive options that either are less risky, or provide me with a better reward.

5. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Off-topic: Just had some thoughts.

I just realized we look at the move in different lights. You want to turn disadvantage to advantage for setups (for damage) while I'm looking to set the move up (from disadvantage) to get damage.

And while 3PPK is a whole different story because of its confirmability, speed and damage I'd still point out that we use it too even though it's -4 on hit, usually turning advantage to disadvantage.

Not trying to argue here, I just thought of these little gameplay philosophies as I read.

We're having a VF-gathering in 2 weeks. I'll try to implement both 1P and 1P+K in my game more there and see how it turns out.

6. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Yeah, you're right [​IMG] . It's so nice that this game allows you to look at and use moves in such diverse ways [​IMG] .

About 3ppk, I reaaaaaally dislike the fact that it's -4 on block. This is basically the only gripe I have with Lau: that he doesn't have a strong medium speed mid option. 3p is the only thing that comes close, so there's not really much of a choice for me. I could use 6pp, but the fact that you have to go to kokei to get advantage on hit makes me prefer 3p as a bread and butter tool at medium advantage situations.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that while I do use 3p, that's only because there's not really any other similar solid options, whereas with 1p+k, there's a lot of other moves that you could use, as well as your usual defensive options. Just a matter of preference [​IMG] .

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Actually its -4 on normal hit, which is basically every time it hits unless they block the first two hits somehow. Its -7 on block. (News to me, now I play bit better against Lau next time.. maybe)

I would use a single [6][P] myself. With kokei mixed in rather than used always. Let me say that you utilize [3][P][P][K] very well however.

Lau however has several evasive attack options to be used from disadvantage so that these minuses arent especially bad..

8. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Wow, I thought I already posted my reply.. Guess I forgot to press 'submit'...

Anyway, basically what I had written in my reply was that the -4 on block was a typo [​IMG] . And that a single 6p would be a good replacement if Lau had a proper damage dealing mid to go after 6p hits on MC, but he doesn't. So 3p is the better option.

Thx for the compliment, btw.

9. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I tested it a while ago and it's 0 on mC.