1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

About Akira

Discussion in 'Akira' started by maddy, May 30, 2006.

1. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

OK. After finally playing FT, here are things I've noticed about FT Akira.

Overall

His damage potential is reduced, but he has more defensive options than he does in Evo.

Overall, he's slightly weaker or the same compared to the Evo Akira unless if you heavily relied on SDE in Evo.

Changes

[6][P][4]

: The reach has been upgraded as he now steps way further away. A great tool for poking with a decent speed(16f).

Dbl palm: -15 compared to -14 in Evo, but it's actually safer in FT as in most cases, he pushes the opp far away so that throws would not reach. Does only half the damage on a crouched opponent. That's more of a negative change than it being -15 on block.

[4][6][P]

I've heard that its recovery is longer on a whiff, but I couldn't feel the difference.

[4][P]+[K]+[G]
    : A major upgrade from Evo. No need for a hit check anymore as the 6P follow up is always guarantted. [4][P]+[K]+[G],[6][P], single palm-elbow seems to do about 75-77 damage.

[2][1][4][P]+[K]

: A very effective sabaki with a huge damage potential. One of the reasons why I thik Akira's defense is much better in FT.

[6][6][P]+[K],[P]

It's evasive property over a high P seems to work well in small adv-disadv situations. It has its value for it being a half circular move but it doesn't seem to be a move you can just throw out easily. The timing on the second P is pretty easy.

[4][2][P]+[G]
    It's more of an setup throw now as the single palm is hardly guarantted on anyone now. His throw game is got toned down due to this change plus SDE being nerfed meaning his nitaku game isn't something to be feared as much.

SDE
    I found no particualar reasons to use it in FT. The biggest problem is you don't know what kind of counter you will get when you use in adv. The combos are also stance dependant, and it's -10 on block which won't make it any more usable. I've seen Inotchi or Mukki going for the yellow counter combos when they use SDE as at least they work in case SDE hits on a red counter. However, if you go for SDE(red), double palm or SDE(red), AS3, it's not that much more than DE, double palm or DE,

DE
    It's much more valuable now as SDE's much worse. DE's better in FT as now Akira gets a combo off DE against the heavies with his new standing kick. DE combos on the heavies are not consistent in Evo.

Shrm

Weaker in FT as P, [4][6][P], dbl palm combo no longer works on the light weights in the open stance.

[K][G]

I like the new motion. It's crazy looking, and people got used to Akira's Evo [K][G] motion a lot. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I personally think Akira in FT stronger since I don't fight like the typical NA Akira but enough aboutt me let's talk about me in VF5. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The biggest thing I have to adjust to is him in Evo to FT. Shit FT is so slow compare to evo which I do speed training in & sadly it's no faster than a turtle, in FT you notice just how slow the game is compare to evo it just sucks. The training I put in isn't progressive b/c it's not steady. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I kind of feel out of place everytime I try to write a technical response since I'm just not technical. I hope ppl here understand me or feel the same way about akira.

3. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Good post , smurft. Here are things I've noticed in terms of dashing.

Backdashing:

Backdashing has been shortened, which means the boxstepping and backdash evading are weaker. Canceling backdash into evade seems to be the same.

: Evading

Failed evade seems to be the same but a succeful evade feels slower. It feels like there is some kind of a quick pause after a successful evade compared to Evo.

ECDG:
    ECDG feels like the same with a failed evade. It feels slower with a counter evade. (Some situations where ECD shrm was guaranteed is no longer the same in FT.)

Crouch dashes:
    They feel a big sluggish though it might of been for other things.

Multiple crouch dash cancel( KG,11G,1G,1G)
    Works the same as in Evo.

Overall stepping:
    It's been toned down mainly due to the nerfed backdash and possibly crouch dash recovering slower when you try to cancel it into a forward or a back dash. Anything involves a backdash feels slower and less efficient as Akira doesn't move as much.

4. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

Backdashing:

Backdashing has been shortened, which means the boxstepping and backdash evading are weaker. Canceling backdash into evade seems to be the same.

: Evading

Failed evade seems to be the same but a succeful evade feels slower. It feels like there is some kind of a quick pause after a successful evade compared to Evo.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG OMG OMG~!!! i wasnt going crazy~!!!

in evo i could do an evade / low P trap at advantage~ for example:

[2][P] ~ [4][4] ~ toe stunner

or

(block elbow) ~ [4][4] ~ toe stunner

but in FT, i always get low Ped if i try to backdash, i thought low P has longer hit range~!, LOL, thanks for clearing that up, now i know for sure~.

also i'd just like to add that evade is 2 frames slower in FT meaning if u evade a move in EVO and get a garanteed b,f+p, it may no longer be garanteed in FT~ so fast evade especially wont get as much advantage, and affects ARE also.

i think even slow evade is slower.

great post, keep it up~! UK just got FT~

EDIT: this thread's just about akira right? or shall i post a new thread about other characters~

5. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, BK_. I noticed that ARE in -4 is no longer possible or the timing is different now. I liked using single palm, elbow and then ARE with Yoho in Evo, but I couldn't pull that off in FT.

ARE in -3(after DE gets blocked) felt pretty inconsistent as well although I think I pulled it off here and there. I need to play around with it more next time I play.

Edit: This thread is about anything. I haven't really paid attention to technical changes and new things in FT while all I had was Evo. I assume the same for the U.K. crew. This thread is for us to catch up. Any discussion about FT's welcomed.

6. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hey sure~ i imagen akira with ARE will be screwed~

wolf isnt really an ARE character, but all of his opportunities are gone in FT anywayz~

[1][P] ~ ARE ~ reverse hammer

[4][P] ~ ARE ~ reverse hammer

[2_][3][P] ~ ARE ~ reverse hammer

all of those are -4, ~

-----

the only change i felt about wolf which probably has never been mentioned anywhere is [6][P]+[G] ~[3][P]+[G] has now switched stance after the push, so:

[4][P] ~[6_][P][K][G] ~ screw hook ~ (lightweights)

now works as a followup which it didnt in EVO. either that or the combo has changed to closed stance instead of open stance~

i will test [4][P] ~ [2][P] ~ [4][P] since that's open stance only too~

RAW stance seems abit sluggish, i dunno, mabye it gets less advantage? i need to check that~

[P],[K] ~ screwhook ~ now doesnt have a bug of losing to low P in open stance as it did in EVO.

----

as for Goh which is the only thing character ive tested~

[4][3]+[P]+[K] sabaki doesnt get a garanteed launcher, which really sucks it seems. i think you have to do [6][6][K]+[G] all the time~

7. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

IMHO

[4][6]+[P] on whiffed IS really much slower. Try doing it continuously whiffed in Evo and FT and see the difference. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SDE (red) i will do single palm -> DE combo for around 75 pts. SDE (yellow) I will do dbl palm or As3 depending on stance. Its damage potienial is higher than DE. Not to forget it floats at normal hit and has longer range to punish "[2] +[P] -> back dash -> attack" tactics. At 14frame execution and -10 recovery, it is akira's safest, fastest and longest range launcher.

[4][2]+[P]+[G]
    You can still nail SDE -> DBL palm 75% of the time. Some characters such as Vanessa are out of range for the SDE to hit though. It also doesn't work on Shun and Lion. I've played Pai and Lau in Japan that can struggle to block the buffered DBL palm.

Shrm(normal hit) -> [P] -> [4][6]+[P] -> DBL Palm still works on Pai, Aoi and Vanessa in open stance.

[K][G] when oponent tries to evade = guaranteed throw for Akira.:)

8. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

ARE still works even at -5. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Goh's [4][3]+[P]+[K] on successful [2]+[P] sabaki guarantees Basara(20 frames) when the sabaki is peformed with Goh at -3 to -4. For other cases where Goh is greatly disadvantage, only [P],[K] is guaranteed. [6][6]+[K]+[G] no longer works in any situation.

9. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

RAW stance seems abit sluggish, i dunno, mabye it gets less advantage? i need to check that~

[/ QUOTE ]
    that move does seem slightly slower to me but it comes under the blueish white counter system now, see also lion's parry stance /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I dunno I kinda like the slight downgrade in speed, gives you time to think more tactics /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

thanks for that danny~ seems basara is gonna give me some mad input pressure tho~ /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

and atleast we know ARE can still be done (?) mabye maddy can clarify this?~~

oh and OPTI:~~ i checked the stats for FT ver.A anywayz, wolf's RAW seems the same, but i think in VER.B (which is what we have), his raw gets a bigger catch window i think. mabye if you catch the opponent's P too late, then you get less advantage like any sabaki

but it really seemed i couldnt get a garanteed throw off MC 0 _0) i need to try again next time.

EDIT:~ has anybody tried the [K]~[G] ~ garanteed throw -VS -opponent's -evade? ~~ it works only at +1 i think, so when akira gets a b,f+P blocked, i remember when i want to japan 2 yrs ago, dera akira was doing this on me 0 ~0)~

i'll try it out sometime this week~

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

In VF5 Goh's best option after a low punch sabaki might be [4][6][P] if it results in a flop! Easy to do, great damage.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

some stuff i noticed yesterday.

Goh:
    [4]+[P] during a stagger now acts as a launcher type. like it's variation on VF.net.

after shoulder ram, i used to do this on EVO because it's safe, long, and gets sick options~ but in FT you now get a small float if the opp doesnt struggle well, so you can do

[4]+[P]~[6_][P]~[K] atleast.

----

tracking moves seems weaker in FT, dunno why~[6][P]+[K] ~delay [P] in EVO i could use well when opp evades the first hit with an attack. in FT it still works, but seems more clumbsy, sometimes stays linear it seems.

---

[4][3][P], red counter~

meh, nice idea, ~ needs an akira/lion style followup tho. good for wakeup games anywayz.

ff+K ~ <--------------- amazing stuff. best long range you could ask for. it also plays oki, and ground hits. just incredable, and safe`!!!!!!!!!

---

wolf, nothing new, ~~ [1][6][P][P][P] is a good -14 counterattack tho, because it ends with opp spinning, meaning it needs perfect TR. you get the same followups as screw hook mabye. best to close in afterwards.

-----

jeffry:

NOTHING NEW~!!! JUST MOVE PROPERTIES~!!!! (and one air catch)

[4][P] ([P]) ~ doesnt knock down now. seems this string is garanteed tho.

evade P+K+G seems better, i didnt like the proporties of the EVO one, wasnt very evasive~

anyway, i wont go into much detail with jeff, coz im no jeff veteran~

13. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

no crisp new moves for jeffry? i will be highly disapointed if thats true /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

ok, i even had to check the moveslist.

the only classifyed new moves i see are:

throw from threat stance (p+G)

and air throw (uf+p+g)

the rest are all change of move proporites and commands: i.e

bd+k is now bd+k+g~

evade +p+k+g has changed animation completely

270+p+g is backbreaker

however d+K+G foot crumples on red counter and i think now during basic stagger also~

other than that, whoever worked on jeffry probably did it in his / her lunch break~ /versus/images/graemlins/indifferent.gif

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

isn't this thread supposed to be abt Akira?
    Just thinking out loud here.........

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Jeffry is massively improved in FT. No self-respecting Jeffry player would say the changes were minimal!

- [6][P][P]: you can now watch for the counter hit and go for the second hit
    - [4][K][P]: recovery improved substantially
    - You can low kick from standing position
    - A2 [4][P] is awesome and A1 still good
    - 270f [P]+[G] means that you can throw in 1 frame
    - [4][P]+[G] allows you to choose the direction and harder to ukemi
    - Threat stance catch throw a great addition
    - [P]+[K][P] (counter hit) [6][P]+[G]: now a major threat
    - [2][K]+[G] crumple a nice bonus
    - Dodge attack not actually useful with better range
    - [3][P]+[G] ground throw can inflict damage which means opponents have to be careful of being lazy

The only thing that's significantly weakened is the worse recovery on [3][3][P] and [4][6][6][P]+[K], but those are more than acceptable given the above benefits and the fact that Jeffry still has [3][P][P].

Play Evo Jeffry after being used to FT Jeffry...sucks.

17. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I think Shun is the hotness. Have you seen his slippers?

GE

18. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

The big difference I found from going somewhat back and forth between playing Evo and FT is that my timing on DTEG has to be different in FT.

I play Akira and in Evo, I've trained myself to do DTEG when Shrm, Dbl palm. Yoho or Knee gets blocked. After all those days of practicing, the timing on the technique has gotten muscle memorized on each move. Now I play FT and when double palm gets blocked, there's one extra frame that I need to wait for my DTEG to work the way it was in Evo as it's -15 in FT compared to -14 in Evo. On Yoho, it's extra 2 frames as it's -14 compared to -12 in Evo. Knee is even harder as it's -14 compared to -10.

I found myself inputing DTEG from my muscle memory when Akira's knee gets blocked to see my Akira getting thrown by one of the two throws that I tried to escape because of the diffrent window for the input.

I could intentionally vary my input timing during a match, but in a heated battle, it's mostly the muscle memory that governs what I'd do out of reaction. Do any of FT playing people have the same kind of issue as I do?

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Great post Maddy! I found myself in your exact situation when playing Evo, although probably not to the same degree of precision. One thing I've tried to do is to play different characters for each version--i.e. Jeffry, Goh, and Vanessa in Evo and Kage, Wolf, and Aoi in FT. That mitigates the different systems somewhat. Over the weekend in SoCal I tried playing Kage in Evo and it felt really awkward. Then I played FT and my Kage movement felt like butter again.