1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Active throw windows

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Jide, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Do all throws in VF5 have the same active throw window?

I know in FT some throws like 270's had bigger active throw windows like KS and F5.

Does this still apply in VF5?

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Although I can't prove it, nor point to any supporting info, I believe that all regular throws in VF5 had an active window of 1 frame.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Really? I always thought i was much larger. Like 4 or 5 frames. My reasoning for this is those occations where you stand up into the throw. If the window was only 1 frame i would think this wouldn't happen very often, as the odds would be quite long.

There must be some way of testing this without a progammable input device. Any ideas?

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Frame math. I hate it. BUT...

could’t you have two akiras, one back turned (1p) and the other crouching (2p). 1p akira does turned away P+K+G (which delivers -11 frames on hit) then immediately throw. 2p takes the hit and hits guard to stand which takes one frame. P2 should be thrown as it is 12 frames total.

1p in same situation does back turned “shin kick” (d+K) which is blocked by 2p akira (leaving him at -12) and immediately throws. 2p Akira simply stands taking 1 frame and does or doesn’t get thrown. Total frames 13.

I don't know. like I said, I hate frame math.

5. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

@Marlyjay: If it was 4 or 5 you would'nt be able to fuzzy. Since it's possible to fuzzy throws/14f mids, it means throws have 1 or 2 active frames.
    I think it's just 1f, otherwise it would mean a 1 frame timming for fuzzy 14f mids which doesn't seem likely considering it's not that difficult.

6. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I thought i took 7 frames to become crouching and 7 to become standing, so long as you're not being attacked. When you attacked you instantly stand or crouch. In that case from the frame you become crouching there are 6 more frames before you're standing again. This means throws could have a longer window.

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Watch the fuzzy animation when you're at -6. You CD then G. Your character just dips ever-so-slightly to duck the throw. The throw whiff happens while you stand and guard. Throw window probably = 1 frame.

8. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm not saying i'm definately right, just playing devils advocate. -6+6 frames to crouching state. So you're crouching at 12 frames when the throw becomes active. But can't CD fuzzy avoid a throw at -5? If it can, then doesn't that show that pressing G doesn't automatically put you in standing state without an attack as if it did you'd get thrown if you CD fuzzy from -5?

I'm confused. someone help [​IMG] lol

9. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    During the early VF5 days, it was assumed/tested or reconfirmed that pressing [G] to instantly stand or crouch is directly dependent on opponent's action (ie throw or strike). So yes, to both of your questions. Depending on your opponent's action it will take either 6-7 frames to switch from standing <-> crouching (opponent throws) or instantly 1 frame (opponent strikes)

Wiki Crouch section quick summary

Are you still confused?

10. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No, thats perfect Akai. Confirmation of what i thought.

Throw window question is still there. And i still don't think it's only 1 frame.

11. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    If all throws have greater than 1 active frame window than a relatively simple test is:

Requires opponent with low throws.
    1. You input an attack that recovers standing. Opponent guards against strike
    2. Opponent attempts low throw (executes 12 frame). You press [​IMG] (will be in crouch state at 7 frames).

Based on what we know of the game mechanics, at -5 or less disadvantage, you will get low throwed.

At -6 frame disadvantage, you get low throwed if throws have more than one active frame. You will not get low throwed if throws have just one active frame.

12. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Wouldn't that test active frames of low throws?

13. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    yes, but I think Marlyjay states all throws have more than one active frame?

You can also do something similar by using low striking attacks that recover crouching against standard high throws to test active frame windows for a throw.

14. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No I actually just meant the standing ones. Sorry, for not being clear. I don't have any ideas about low throws. I just don't use them enough. Still, there is no reason for normal and low throws to have the same window, other than the fact that it would make sense. Not much of an indicator of anything in VF5.

Can you set the cpu to block low and then respond with a throw? If so i'll see if I can give it a go.

15. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I don't think there is many attacks that recover crouching that gives -6 disadvantage on block. Thus, I suggested doing test for low throws.

Low punch gives -5 on block, so based on what we know, opponent should be able to grab you with a standard throw after guarding attack.

What I would do (and maybe I will try it tonight) is have two controllers very close to me:

1. 1P get a normal hit with most characters [1_][K] (many of them should be -6 on normal hit and recovers crouching.
    2. After hit, 2P attempts standing throw (macro a button to make it easy to press).

16. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Eileens 3P+K recovers crouching and is -6 on block. I'll try that if i can get the cpu to block low. Maybe i'll ask my flatmate to help as we both have the day off tomorrow.

17. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    After doing some tests-low punch guarded (-5, thrown), eileen's 3P+K guarded (-6, whiffed), and Pai's 1K normal hit (-6, whiffed)-standard high throws appear to have only 1 active frame.

Just some VF quirks that I don't fully understand: You still have to press [G] to immediately (7 frames total) stand up from crouch, relative to opponent's throw attempt, or your character will stay crouched for an unknown amount of time before standing up on its own. The same goes for standing to crouching.

18. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    What throws did you try?
    Only certain throws in VF4 had bigger active frames like KS and F5 I believe.

19. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Just [P]+[G]. Doing more complicated throw inputs is quite difficult for one person with two controllers.

20. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Just giving it a go. I've set the cpu to block low and then respond with a throw. I've been caught by giant swing, jackets hammer and his hcb throw so far. Neutral throw always wiffs.