1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

All character strategy by Shiwa

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Dennis0201, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Character Index
    (compiled by Pana)

Taka - 02:54, 1st video.
    Akira - 09:25, 1st video.
    Pai - 15:15, 1st video.
    Lau - 21:51, 1st video.
    Wolf - 27:17, 1st video.
    Jeffry - 30:30, 1st video.
    Jean? - 1st part, 2nd video.
    Eileen - 25:30, 2nd video. Eileen, translated by Dennis.
    Kage - 00:25, 3rd video.
    Sarah - 14:08, 3rd video.
    Jacky - 22:22, 3rd video. Jacky, translated by Dennis.
    Shun - 30:47, 3rd video.
    Lion - 00:25, 4th video.
    El Blaze - 13:16, 4th video. El Blaze, translated by Dennis.
    Aoi - 26:59, 4th video.
    Lei Fei - 36:55, 4th video.
    Vanessa - 04:48, 5th video. Vanessa, translated by Dennis.
    Brad - 18:28, 5th video. Brad, translated by Dennis.
    Goh - 31:54, 5th video.

Videos

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Infohigh, Shinobi, G0d3L and 8 others like this.
  2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Can someone translate what they're saying for eileen tactics starting at 28:00?

3. TaNooki_kun

TaNooki_kun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    TaNooki-kun
    Pretty sure there're some characters missing... The most important ones at that...

4. Dennis0201

Good: fast and strong strings. It's not easy to deal with her if you don't understand her moves.
    Bad: short range, and you can back dash when she has tiny advantage such as P on blocked. Also, her recovery time is kind of long so after successful evade, you can do big move as knee to punish her(Usually most characters can be punished by P). Worst thing is her weight.

Shiwa also mentioned that her throw is very good against wall either direction causes good damage, so mentally you can abare(mind game). And he doesn't recommend use 2P against Eileen(she has good setup against 2P).

When her front toward to wall(parallel), she has 6P,2K, and another low poke(I don't know that command) to make wall combos, but they are all linear so it's easier to evade. More interesting thing is when her back toward to wall(parallel), she can use 2K+G and 6P to indicate the following wall combos. Shiwa said you can backward jump to make yourself safe because 6P will only hit as a NH.

G0d3L, Chanchai, Ben_Lord_Dur and 4 others like this.
  5. EastBayKage

EastBayKage Well-Known Member

PSN:
    EastBayKage
    Hrm, maybe I should've kept up my Japanese after I was done with school after all...:oops:

Genesis likes this.
  6. Dennis0201

OP update:)

Well, it's not easy to digest these videos in short time but hopefully I'll see if I have spare time to post here what Shiwa mentioned. All I can say is the gap between Japanese and non-Japanese players is something we can't measure;)

Chanchai likes this.
  7. TaNooki_kun

PSN:
    TaNooki-kun
    Thanks for the follow-up; much appreciated. I can only guess what they're saying about Vanessa; as I feared the full value can't be learned from watching the video itself. I'm sure their side-points are insightful but based on those set-ups I think they barely had an opportunity to scratch the surface of these characters in such a short time, which makes me sad and glad at the same time.

Also, props for the shout outs to KOF XIII and Puzzle Fighter :p

Genesis likes this.
  8. Dennis0201

Yes, due to rush schedule and Shinwa could only share very limited information to cover each character. He tended to point out the way to deal with specific setup annoying people most and provide some advice for the characters. I understand it's difficult to watch the videos without English commentary but I strongly suggest you guys can check it out sometimes. Maybe there is a chance you can realize the demonstration from those videos, which give you the basic idea.

9. TaNooki_kun

PSN:
    TaNooki-kun
    Exactly, it's probably more beneficial to view the character's that you don't personally use to see their tricks and what you should be punishing more.

10. Dennis0201

Okay, start with Van this bitch:mad:

Van has both DS and OS, so her move lists is like 2 times than others. Make sure you can tell the difference between these 2 style, DS is taller.

DS:
    She is good at tiny disadvantage due to 46KP(sabaki high/mid P), 46P+K(sabaki high/mid k), and 1P(sabaki low p, plus it can avoid high p). Opponent can crouch 46KP and 46P+K, and has +8 when you block her 1P. DS has 2 full circular K+G and 2K+G but only 1 half circular which is 6P, and you can evade to her stomach side. However, her 6PK is trackable so you need to release your G button after successful evade to wait for her whiff. Shiwa doesn't suggest to attack Van with tiny advantage and it might be good if you wait a little bit.

Her OS is similar to Jacky(P,elbow, and low punch) but stronger with half circular. 6K CH if you evade to her stomach and low kick throw(sorry I don't know the command) if you evade to her back. So basically against her OS, standing block is primary because you will have advantage when 6K blocked and not big deal when low kick hit. However, she has catch throw against player who like to block, but you can punish her catch throw when you crouch(knee guarantee). Also, watch out her 9P so don't use low punch when you have tiny advantage(use mid more). Her 9P is high and can be punished when you crouch.

IP:
    She has low, mid, and catch throw. Use evade cancel crouch to avoid all of them(to her stomach side). Use something like Lion's 66KK to hit her on the ground is a good choice too. And keep in mind that Van will become to DS when her IP get hit. Although she has +4 when IP hit, but you can still hit her back with 16f mid guarantee.

Shiwa said Van is strong with 2 different styles, but her weakness is her weight. He said Van is sort of Akuma in SF.

MakiLeSushi, G0d3L, VFnumbers and 9 others like this.
  11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

See this makes me want to play around with her a bit in player matches now.

Genesis likes this.
  12. pana

pana Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the translations Dennis!

Just a request, can you translate what they're saying about El Blaze?

ExzetyXat1 likes this.
  13. Dennis0201

Yes, El Blaze's part is much easier to do the write up. I'll post it when I have time.

pana likes this.
  14. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I liked the vanessa commentary. It's very helpful. For vanessa players i mean. Thank you.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Any chance to get Wolf tranlated?

16. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    i want translate for Pai.

Ylyon likes this.
  17. Dennis0201

Unfortunately, Shiwa didn't phrase that much on Wolf. Most important things he pointed out is the option(direction) to escape catch throw especially against the wall. He also said to keep the distance that 3K+G can't reach you is a key to fight Wolf. Other than that, watch out the characters(not only wolf) who has low throws, and Shiwa use Wolf KK as a example to do low throw when opponent tech roll. Opponent is only able to attack against that low throw but also put himself into nitaku situation due to Wolf has strong 3K+G.

Unicorn likes this.
  18. Dennis0201

Blaze's part starts at 13:00 video 4.

Weakness: Light weight and short range. Shiwa showed that back dash can avoid his 6P and 4P+K, so Blaze has to use mid kick to reach the opponent. But PK is guarantee to punish Blaze with a successful evade mid kick. Same story, Blaze is able to hit opponent with forward dash but he also takes the chance once opponent abare uppercut or launcher.

Shiwa recommends that keep a mid range with Blaze is a good way because of his short range attack. At this situation, Blaze has his tool 9P+K K to use, but keep in mind it is high not mid, so simply crouch it. Or you can actually just punch it when Blaze is in the air and continue to do the rest of combos because his light weight.

SideTurn: Blaze's typical sideturn game is his 4PK>6>K or 4PK>6>P+G. It looks like nitaku but actually not. 33G fuzzy is able to take care of it. On the other hand, Blaze can use 4PK>6>low throw to deal with someone who fuzzy.:p

6K>run>9K+G: Evade is the key here to deal with this move, even though 6K hits but you can still evade the coming 9K+G. If you think Blaze is going to use this setup, don't hesitate to use uppercut, knee, yoho, and whatever can makes Blaze pay for it after the evade. Other than that, use throw to deal with Blaze's catch throw if you find out he likes to throw much.

Shiwa doesn't recommend to use 2P that much against Blaze because of his 8P+K. And watch out Blaze's evasive property move. More important thing, Shiwa highly don't suggest to tech roll after Blaze's KKK combos. Shiwa showed the examples to demonstrate Blaze has unblockable move after KKK and strong nitaku situation. And don't do rising kick after KKK knock down because it's mid and Blaze can evade that rising kick. The only timing Shiwa suggested to do tech roll is after Blaze 6PK, because Blaze can do some shit if you don't tech roll.

Basically, due to Blaze's weight he suffers more damage. If you are able to read your opponent's pattern, you always have the chance to do combos or throw Blaze's catch throw. However, if you're not sure what's going to do, fuzzy is the other option to make yourself safe.

19. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

finally i know how to fight that midget >: D

20. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Dennis, thx so much for the translation. i didnt know shit about blaze, now i feel so great:)