1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Allow more than 50 images per post.

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by Genzen, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Hello,

So, I recently made a post asking for help with stuff, and the easiest way was (or would have been) to copy and paste the moves and the commands from the moves-list. The problem is, the site recognises each command input as a separate image, so you can only put a few commands in before you hit the limit. It took me about an hour to go back through my entire post and convert all the images to the codes for each input. Seems kinda strange not to be able to copy and paste from the site's own command list database into a post.

Can we remove the image limit, or find some other way to make copy and paste work?

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Allowing 50 images in a single post is already overkill, and was only done so to allow for a wiki page to contain many images.

If you're referring to commands, then I suggest you use the smilies instead. These aren't constrained by the same limit.

3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is that copy and paste from the command list is treated as one image per command, so you can't really copy and paste that much before you hit the limit. It makes it a real pain in the ass to make reference to things without manually writing out all the commands or using the ugly number pad notation.

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I understand exactly what you're saying, and suggested that you manually type in the commands using the "ugly number pad notation" just like everyone else has been for years. :)

5. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

But why? I don't understand - what's the harm in raising/removing the image limit?

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It's a performance issue. By allowing an unlimited amount of images to be displayed per post you adversely affect the loading times of each page.

7. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess I can understand that, but I'd have to wonder how often there'd be a post with a large amount of big images (I'm assuming tiny images like the command icons don't cause as much of an issue) posted. Mostly it's just people discussing the game, or posting one or two funny images as responses to things.

Is there any way to make the command lists 'copy-and-pasteable', if having more images is out of the question?

8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    While I understand you have good intentions, unfortunately I have to do (what I can) to ensure a certain amount of protection from malicious attacks. If it were unlimited, someone could register and go crazy, bringing the loading to a grinding halt.

And it's not the image size per se that's the issue. Each image link itself is a discrete http request that must get served, and with every request there's an amount of overhead associated. Furthermore, VFDC could get blacklisted if it were deemed to be hotlinking to many images from other sites without permission (copyright).

I don't think there's an easy way to "copy and paste" graphics to text, but what I can look into is having a kind of "share" feature that will expose the command markup in textual form so that you can copy/paste elsewhere.

9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Ah, alright, I see what you're saying. I didn't think it could have such a serious repercussion. If you could find a way to make that share thing work, that'd be cool.

Thanks.