1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi advice needed

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Vic_Viper, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper Member

I have posted here before asking for advice on playing Aoi. Now that I got more of my friends playing this game(all with the intention of playing it well) I figure the time has come to ask more questions. I still think some of these might still be noobish (all questions concern Evo).

1. Her stance(forget the name) - I never seem to use it mainly because I forget she has it. So what do the Aoi users here say, really useful, char dependant(wide range of chars used among my friends), not useful, matter of prefrence?

2. [4][3]+[P] - I seem to remember being told it's one of her best moves but I can't seem to capitalize off it, suggestions?

3. Other useful moves - I use her elbows (mostly [6]+[P]), [4][3][P]+[K],[4][4][P]+[K],[2][K]+[G], Anything else thats really useful that I just can't see?

4. Char advice Jacky - My friend mixes up mid/low pretty good and likes to poke and retreat w/ the backstep. I can't seem to hold my own up close and can't close the distance effectively when he retreats, suggestions?

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hi, vs Jacky using YY stance (4p+k+g) is very effective because Jacky is a high offense character. It will lose to mid spin kick, but that is a high risk move for Jacky as well. Discourage him enough so that you can work your own offensive flow/throws.

3. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

Remember that you can cancel out moves like [6][P][P][G], [6][6][P][G]. For poking I like to use [6][6][P]+[K], you can also cancel the last [P] in that also. I like to use the "talk to the hand" [4][4][P]+[K], its just as good as [4][3][P], you can cancel out talk to the hand as well. You should also learn how to use [4][G]+[K], crumbles on counter, plus BT games. Always, always mix up the guard cancels. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

1. Really super useful, against all characters. Some more than others, but one of her best tools. Parries all normal high/mid attacks, and you can sidestep from it. A common tactic is to do [4]+[P]+[K]+[G], [8] or [2], and then escape [4]+[P]+[G] and [6]+[P]+[G] during the sidestep. This is because if you throw Aoi out of that command sidestep, it's always a side throw. This is a fairly advanced technique, but just doing YinYang -> immediate sidestep without escapes is really good by itself too. Try doing this from her stance transitions from moves (especially [2]+[K]+[G]).

2. That move was really good in ver C, it gave a stomach crumple on MC, but it was throw counterable. It just gives you advantage in Evo, but it's only -6 or something. It's a good poke, but not really something to whore out. It's really fast though, 13 frames. But I would rather use [2]+[P].

3. [6]+[P]+[K] is really good, as is [3]+[K].

[6][6]+[P] is great for wall stagger combos, since it pushes them far even on normal hit. You can do [6][6]+[P], (wall stagger), [4][3]+[P]+[K], [6]+[K][K], pounce. The combo works because [4][3]+[P]+[K] will crumple if it hits during a stagger.

[3]+[P]+[K] is really good too, on MC you get +12/13 or something. You get a free [P][K], or you can do [P] -> 50/50. Another cool setup is MC [3]+[P]+[K], [2]+[P]. The [2]+[P] is free, and they recover crouching, so if they just hold [G] you can low throw, it looks really dope. Also, a blocked [3]+[P]+[K] is a great setup for [4][4]+[P]+[K], because it creates a tiny bit of distance when it's blocked. There are a lot of thing that [4][4]+[P]+[K] will avoid here, that it won't avoid if you use it after [4][3]+[P]+[K]. Mess around with it in training.

4. Jerky is right about using YY stance. About the backstep, if he doesn't use moves after it, just learn to recognise it and follow him in. Be fast and pressure with a lot of high P -> mixup.

5. Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper Member

Hmmm good stuff guys thanks for the advice. I managed to put some of the stuff to use in the past couple of days and the stance worked pretty good, even though I was facing shun and not jacky. Still need to look up the adv. it gives spacing it leaves you at and good techs to use after a reversal but that king of stuff I can look up and things I need to learn by doing.

[6][6]+[P] worked pretty good as well but I couldn't really use it against a wall as I hardly ever put enough pressure to back them up to a wall which leads me to another question.

With Aoi's reversals, inashi's and sabaki's I always thought of her as a read, react, contain char. Can she play rushdown effectively?

Also lauchers - I haven't looked at the move list in depth but in EVO does she have any launchers that launch on normal or is it just me?

Finally how much do you guys use [4][P]+[K], etc... and her position change throws ([P]+[G][2], etc...)

6. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

Someone please give me all the tips you have on how to beat Shun!! I get completly owned whenever I have to fight Shun in quest mode and it's making me oh so sad. I just can't touch him no matter what I do. Is Aoi a bad match up for Shun or am I using the wrong tactics against slick shun. Help! Help me please!

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif more? You just need to learn when you can counter Shun after blocking a certain move. Other than that, I don't know what to say.

8. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

I'm doing decent against Shun now but I still am getting destroyed by constant attackers (Sarah,Lion,Pai,and Lau). I have many problems in deciding what to do against these characters. Any help would be appreciated. Also these are A.I. opponents I am mentioning.

9. Kikimaru

Kikimaru Well-Known Member

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    AI Sarah should become easy enough -- watch her lows when she's in Flamingo, YY-inashi all her other BS. Just don't hold a stance too long, or she'll throw you.

10. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

Thanks. I do have another question though. Was I wise in picking Aoi as my first character to learn? I have played VF2 before as a kid, but that was just pressing random buttons. Don't get me wrong, I am decent with Aoi (I say decent because I have no one else who wants to play VF because they all think it's gay.) and can judge attacks and reversals pretty well but is there another character that would be prove more beneficial in improving my skills?

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

If you're having trouble against the AI, that probably means that you're not really there yet. I would say that Aoi is easy to pick up but hard to master. You could consider experimenting with other characters to see if there's a better "click," but you should play who you like to play with. Except arguably Goh, VF4 is extremely balanced.

12. yuki414

yuki414 Member

I always call it Tenchi In'you 'cause that's what I see on the command list. Anyway just use it when you think your opponent might go for a quick mid or high. Make it quick though 'cause if you stay in that for a little bit too long and you'll get thrown.

Her [4] [3] [P] is one of her best moves because it staggers on a counter hit plus it is a quick low hit. (Not as quick as a 2P though). After you stagger go for [6] [P] [+] [K] [P] (maybe cancel for mix up), crouch dash to one of her crouch throws, forward dash to a regular throw, or maybe [2] [K] [+] [G] .

You seem to have most of her main moves down.

Jacky is a really offensive character (just like his sister). He has a lot of important mid and high kicks that can be parried or reversed.