1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi as a character...

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by plan17, Mar 20, 2002.

1. plan17

plan17 Active Member

it has begun to dawn on me (i'm a newbie) that Aoi is really not as effective a fighter as the others... The few movies i've seen with Aoi show her either getting demolished, or winning by the narrowest of margins... I'm a fan of her fighting style, but it seems at this point that the effort that i'm putting into her is kind of a waste of time...

2. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

aoi is really really hard to use imo... she doesn't have any major combos at all. Most damaging float is like 73 or something and it requires MC /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

Like alot of pple say, aoi is high risk low reward char. You really need to put in ALOT of effort to make her a worthwhile char.

Basically newbie/beginners are better off with jacky, lau , etc.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Aoi was on the whole weakened in Version C (or made harder to win with by a poking style of play) primarily as a result of the toned down double stop.

However, while on offense she may appear to be high risk and low reward relative to other characters, one should realize that defending with Aoi should be much easier than other characters. Her inashi, her G-cancels, her small frame, quick speed--these things should make defending with Aoi easier.

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

A good Aoi is achievable.
    Aoi has many moves that gives her an advantage when blocked. Her double stop is a great option for a stomach crumble.

Vs a friend of mine he seems to rely heavily on:

D,df+P
    f+K
    dodge a lot
    Yin Yang stance
    double elbow and fake, generally lots of fakes -> double stop

You also need to know which attacks and throws give you a guaranteed "floor joint break". And always on wall bounces.

"u+K+G"
    is a pretty good move as well vs the rising kicks, and also vs the normal side roll.

Need to YY and dodge and fake, to get lots of side throws etc attacks chances.

5. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Though I agree with you that Aoi quite weak compare to the others but I believe that it learning Aoi is not a waste of time. She got quite a number of throws and also reversals as well. Mix these moves well to confuse your opponents. When you use Aoi, you will need to put in a lot of concentration during the gameplay. A strong Aoi is still possible.

Personally I find that her throws and reversals are all very beautiful compare to the rest. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

(i'm a newbie) that Aoi is really not as effective a fighter as the others... The few movies i've seen with Aoi show her either getting demolished, or winning by the narrowest of margins... I'm a fan of her fighting style interesting observations. In my limited experience Aoi serves the advanced level player best. <font color=red>Shang</font color=red>, or any other advanced level player could never use Jacky, Akira or Wolf against a beginner or he would get bored too easily. Many advanced players use Aoi so they do not get bored with scrubs. Aoi is extremely difficult to use at advanced game play level against human competition.

7. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

Definitely agree that ver C Aoi is weaker than B.

b+K+G had really high priority and was one of my 'panic' moves in Ver B. I never use it in ver C. unless, for some reason, I feel like getting killed.

>defending with Aoi should be much easier than other characters

This makes some sense 'on paper', but in practice defence with Aoi is an extension of the high-risk, high-reward principle. If you just defend, as in hold the block button, Aoi is exactly the same as any other character. She has no special defense advantage or disadvantage.

Her unique defense characteristics come into play when you start using her reversals, inashi, YY stance, and cancels. And guess what? These are all high-risk, high (well... medium =] ) reward options.

As for 'small frame', this is actually a bit of a problem -- can you spell 'float combo'?

Her speed is certainly helpful, though.

grib.

8. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I think it's incorrect to say that Aoi is 'not as effective' as the other characters.

Better to say it's harder for the player to *make* her effective. In the hands of a good Aoi player (which I regret I am not) she is devastating.

I would say that, played properly, she is the equal of the other characters. She's not a combo machine, and she doesn't do huge damage. But defend well and outsmart your opponent and she's got plenty of humiliating limb-breaking moves to apply.

grib.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well, any time I say "defend," I don't mean blocking or guarding, as in "G" button. By defense, I usually mean to imply the opposite of...offense. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

In any case, defense with Aoi is not paper theory. Her inashi does not force you to guess high or middle. There are many moves that allow you to move into inashi right away. She has many strings that she can G-cancel for continuous offense so you don't have to commit. She moves faster and has a lot of attacks that allow her to travel back and forth quickly. While her light weight is mostly a disadvantage, she is so light that sometimes she floats out of range from certain combos.

A good Aoi is very hard to hit.

10. ukie

ukie Member

slightly off topic, but -

I was in Taiwan a few years ago, and played on a VF3 machine at a local arcade. I'm a decent Akira / Aoi / Pai player, but I got my ass handed to me by an Aoi user who watched my hands noticeably more than the screen itself during the relatively short matches. The guy about countered everything I threw at him, and throw-escaped about 90% of my throws even when I tried just about every single one of them. So, I for one believe that Aoi can be extremely devastating in a match, if you practically memorized the entire movelist for all the characters (which I think he did) and counter with impugnity.

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

aoi's best style of play is her move cancels, similar to last bronx by (old wepon based fighting game with vague VF characteristics & button function)... canceling combinations, sweeps, and knock downs can sometimes draw you in for an easy throw or launcher...

she's very versitile though quite complicated as she has multiple counters, knock aways and throw combs.. to use her effectivley you'd have to practice hard as she is deadly when played smoothly. she also has very limited knock downs and easy-to-operate power hits..

i'd say her most deadliest point is her throws & counters, it all depends of what you want to get out of her to decide on using her.. she's quite tricky to get used to.

12. karphead

karphead Member

Worship Kick

b+K+G had really high priority and was one of my 'panic' moves in Ver B. I never use it in ver C. unless, for some reason, I feel like getting killed.

I was wondering...what do people use to follow up with a hit from this?

13. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Just an opinion or perspective really.... but I honestly believe that Aoi in VF3tb is best played machi as hell. But in VF4, she's got some great flowchart like options and can still be bitchy with the machi game.

-Chanchai

14. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Aoi rocks... but you do have to put a lot of work into her. SHe's tricky. Mainly, you have to fake out your opponent. I think her items are by far the kewlest. Anyone see the Aoi-short (hair)?

15. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

BTW,is Aoi popular in Japan? Just wondering...
    She's my favourite VF character since I first played VF3 when it came out.... But she has not always been my strongest character... -_-
    Anyway, I found her items to be really cool, also my favourite in the game ^_^

16. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Not super popular, unfortunately. She takes a bit of getting used to, as she doesn't have a good 'unload' attack, if you know what I mean. Akira, Jacky, & Lau are definitely the most popular I'd say.

17. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

I love Aoi, then again I rather lose with grace then win like a pig .

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thread moved from Junky's Jungle.

19. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

i'm not really sure what flowcharts are yet ..but i've found a great "combo" for her...df+k, ->+R1,p, pppk <-p+k+g, then sidestep quickly , tap R1 a few for the slap combo and finish with her best throw...if done right your oppenent should not be knocked down till the end and most people fall for this and it does so much damage....

20. yuki414

yuki414 Member

I didn't think she was that hard to master. But she's a really fun character and she can be really useful once you can utilize her correctly. And I've seen Aoi excellents before. I don't think she's as bad as you think.