1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aoi FS wiki

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by kingo, Aug 30, 2013.

1. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Starting to write a bunch of stuffs
    http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/aoi-strategy-vf5fs/

I tried to be the most basic, concise and easily understandable possible.
    I may have forgotten some stuffs, let me know.

Will update throughout the following weeks.
    Any comments, corrections, linguistic suggestions, bitching, name callings are welcome ! :D

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I gave it a quick look, and I think you should list Aois punishes also. In any case good work! :)

3. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I love your Introduction, it's a very accurate one imo.

I also like the part you wrote about chars with good/bad tools against her, I think the matchup boils down to this in the end so it's really important. I agree on the bad chars.

For the good chars I would definitely add Akira, Lion and maybe Taka.
    Some ideas, some pure tenchi related, some more general.

Akira:

• 2K+GPP becomes some kind of OS 60 pts low on CH vs tenchi.
    • His combos against her do ridiculous damage, and with his weight class, her combos won't hurt him that much.
    • He has a lot of good moves that beat tenchi : shoulder ram, 66P+K hit throw, 46P+K, 214P, 3P+K, P+K, body fucking check for the lolz, and the jump K.
    • His 6P+K+G guard breakcombo does 77pts against her if the player can get it consistently.
    • He has crazy meaties that even when miss-timed are tenchi killers

Lion :

• P+K is good damage safe on block that beats stance.
    • Guard break is a two handed attack, beats tenchi.
    • Lots of good low attacks that beat stance, some safe (1P+K) some with combo potential (1K)
    • 1K is fast enough to react to tenchi and gives a combo on CH (will also beat sabakies)
    • FC6P+K near wall = no tenchi.
    • His FC3P combo against her is simple to confirm AND damaging AND with good carry.
    • His FC6P+G does a bit more damage against her. Best Damage for this throw.
    • He has good meaties with combo/RO potential to keep her honest with tenchi after a tech roll
    • 8K gives a combo on whiff punish (like after a low rising attack is jumped over).
    • 2K(CH)K+G= 85+ damage, I need to use that from time to time ;)
    • Circular at all levels

For Taka not so sure, cause I don't know if she got good specific Anti Taka stuff but my 2 cents.

Taka:
    • He can use k+g P confirm against tenchi (suprised Chofu didi'nt used that more in your match at SCE)
    • P+K is fast/good damage to react to tenchi up close, and will give 80 on CH.
    • Again risk reward due to weight is really good
    • Launcher damage is crazy
    • Back throw damage even higher than ususal on her.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  4. Darksoul173

Darksoul173 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darksoul173
    FIXED

5. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Oups still used to the vanilla input of this move.:p

6. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    How could I forgot Lion lol

I agree that having tools against Tenchi determine a major part of the Aoi match up
    but my 3 categories ( kinda subjective though ) just show how much using Tenchi can affect their game and force them to change their approach.
    My second category would mean that the character has to change his usual way of play and use ( more )anti tenchi moves, but at the end, he's still good and efficient against Aoi, meaning he isn't really affected.
    I put Akira in there because he can't spam his 66P and 666P, his usual main tools, so he may be beetween the 2d and the 3rd category. Same for Taka.

Craigbot likes this.
  7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I reposted since I think you missed my post due to Chibitox's long-winded post..

8. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    It's because it's not in the strategy, but in the Aoi wiki main page ...

9. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    My bad.

10. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Nice write-up kingo! A lot of useful stuff is listed here. There's not much that needs to be added to the sections you already covered.

Both [2][3][6][P][+][K] and [4][K][+][G] sabaki moves can be used in -9 disadvantage situations or better.

Also, on that bit about backdashers at the end of the Poking & Offensive Game section - A Counter Hit [6][6][P][+][K] attack can also launch the opponent for a combo opportunity if he/she opts to do an attack immediately after a backdash. And at worst Aoi will be in -1 if [6][6][P][+][K] lands as a Normal Hit instead.

Kruza

11. thujone

thujone Member

Great stuff kingo.

Aoi is actually very deadly in the right hands. She may not be a powerhouse, but if you can read your opponent well enough, and have good reflexes Aoi is the character with the best tools for the job. It's with her that there are the most mind games and she exposes those who cannot adapt well. I think this is also why she doesn't fair well with trickster characters like Shun or Eileen, because it's these characters that can throw off momentum at the drop of a hat and make it difficult to respond. Lion is also difficult because of the emphasis on lows.

One trick, that I don't know if it has a name, is to whiff deliberately, so as to provoke a response from the other person. It's during this time that you can respond with a reversal, again if you are confident about the habits of your opponent. I think though that you have to understand, statistically, whether they respond with lows, mids or highs. Also another setup is that low sweeps usually take a lot of time to complete, so deliberately standing by your opponent on the ground to respond with a low reversal can throw the game off.

You're right. She needs work to set up and essentially deceive the other person. Obviously, cancels to throws and mixing that whole thing up helps. I find she doesn't win often really, but that's not really the point with playing Aoi. At higher level play it's like a game of chess. :)

Edit: I find it's also not best to plan too much with Aoi. Like not to have some kind of formula in your head of what to do. Because I think this is the wrong way to play her. You have to be fluid about it, constantly paying attention to what your opponent is doing. This I think has more to do if your opponent is very aggressive, or already has a plan in mind. If your opponent is on the more cautious side of things then rely more on confusing them and being a little aggressive yourself.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    Craigbot and kingo like this.
  12. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Guys I need your help to write about how [P][P][2][P][P] or [P][P][8][P][P] in combo can lead to wall with a wall slump even if Aoi is near the wall, with different angles or parallel to walls..but I just don't know how to write it in english lol

13. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Hmmm... how about:

"Whenever the opponent is lifted in the air with a launcher attack ([3][3][P][+][K], Counter Hit [6][K], or CH [6][6][P][+][K]), or whenever the opponent is floating/jumping in mid-air close to Aoi at an area of the ring near a wall, then [P][P][2][P][P] or [P][P][8][P][P] can be done as the follow-up string to lead the opponent into a wall to possibly cause a low wall slump animation. This situation can occur when the opponent is knocked directly backward into a wall, and can also occur when the opponent is knocked into a wall at an angle."

Kruza

Craigbot likes this.
  14. GunSniper Ls

GunSniper Ls Member

I know if the [8][P] hit on counter then the other [P] is guaranteed and if there near a wall, wall splat if that's what you're asking?

15. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Yes. A low wall slump is basically the "minor" splat which does not have a character plastered on the wall from head to toe on impact.

Kruza

16. thujone

thujone Member

Take advantage of the fact that a ton of her moves are cancellable, but also delayable (not sure about other characters. Probably same right?). You can use this to control the momentum of the game to confuse your opponent. And a lot of her moves can also be split into parts. What I mean by this is let's say with something simple like [K][P][K]. IIRC you can delay the last [K] or you can cancel it or you can just mix it up with [K][P]. A lot of her moves are like this. It's not anything new at all. But if you want to make it difficult for your opponent to read you, there are lots of ways to confuse them using Aoi. (Maybe I shouldn't be telling you guys this lol).

Oh, another trick, probably old news: her Tenchi stance is also useful in the sense that while holding the stance you can press [6] or [4]. Tenchi [6] will often duck under moves, but if your opponent is conditioned for the full Tenchi [6][P] and you only do [6], then this often gives you enough time to throw them or begin a new string, with additional cancels or delays. But you always have to be fluid about these things, you can't really have a plan in your head beforehand. I think these also only work when your opponent knows what they're doing and is cautious. If they basically mash or are just formulaic and aggressive, then keep your distance and wait until an opportune time to attack. A good tactic is just to stand there, with some distance and see how the other person reacts.

As for anti-Aoi tactics: she's vulnerable to being thrown a lot, and the new system really messes this up because throw escapes are more difficult. She has tools for lows, but that's I think another vulnerability. Obviously her lack of damage and weight category also. But, once again, if you can read your opponent well enough and they refuse to change their tactics, fighting them is a breeze. But you always have to pay close attention.

Craigbot likes this.
  17. thujone

thujone Member

Moves

[4][3][P] - Excellent, as I'm sure you all know. It dodges things, it's quick. Good for when you panic! I usually follow up with [6][P][+][K][P], but you can mix it up all you want.

[4][K][+][G] and [2][3][6][P][+][K] - Love Aoi's sabakis. If you have good timing and read well, these turn the tide of the game because they crumple and you can move in for massive damage.

[P][+][K][+][G] - Her infamous stance. Don't abuse it, of course. Catches a lot of moves. Not good against low-based charas like that bastard Lion or Eileen. Shun not so much either. I mean, it'll work sometimes, but this move is better against Jacky and company. Once again, it's a good, flexible stance, because you can follow up with [4], [4][P], [4][K], [6], [6][P], [6][K], or [6][K][+][G]. With a simple [4], you are in back turn and more possibilities open up, including evasive moves like [8][P][+][K][+][G] or [2][P][+][K][+][G], which may or may not lead to attaching an additional [P] for a possible crumple.

More later!

Craigbot likes this.
  18. thujone

thujone Member

Another thing I notice about Aoi is that you can afford to be risky with her. Because she is such a defensive character she has a lot of give, meaning should you make a mistake it is always possible to turn the tables around. Often, people play her too safely and while they are technically competent with her (frame data, etc.) sometimes when they play it shows a lack of adaptability. Too often we are set in our ways. The point of fighting games, or maybe it's only true with VF, who knows, is to be flexible of mind and try not to have patterns.

Craigbot likes this.
  19. thujone

thujone Member

This of course requires thorough familiarity with her moveset. I would not say otherwise because you obviously need to learn how to execute the moves, which, from my experience, is quite easy. In this way Aoi is a great beginner character because her moves are not difficult to pull off. Technical difficulties usually arise from things like timing her cancels and reversals, maybe the multi- and full circular throws, but on average, her moves are very easy to execute, unlike characters like Wolf. I suppose this is the tradeoff for low damage output, but once again, in the right hands she's a beast. More and more I'm beginning to think that it's more about good timing and being tricky with Aoi more than anything else.

20. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    I'm not sure what you meant by "risky", but here is my contribution on the issue.

Some players told me I play risky too, but it's because I try to force them to prevent me from abaring by using a quik elbow for example so that I can catch them with Tenchi or sabaki the next time. Also, competent players will wait ( and lose their frame advantage ) for your Tenchi or use a slower anti Tenchi move to catch you, that's how you can be safer or afford to be risky by trying to interrupt them. Not to mention that her hit-throw can go under highs, throws and some mids, making a good tool to abare & annoy your opponent.
    Obviously, you can't play always like that, but that will keep your opponent honest on trying to throw you / poke you.

So in a sense, you have to make your opponent hesitate to attack or not. Part of Aoi's charm I guess :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013