1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Apparently Jeffry is just a weak-ass joke

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by Aeon, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

Been experimenting some more...

I'm pretty sure nothing is guaranteed after [6][4][P], although it seems like you have a slight advantage. Don't know about MC.

I have not yet found a single situation where [1][K] was preferable to [2][K]+[G]. It must be useful for something... maybe dodging/TE-ing opponents? (You'd think [4][6][P] or [6][4][P] would be more useful here) It's just too slow, even with no charge, and has zero range.

Only problem is, even though [2][K]+[G] is quicker, it leaves you still with a slight disadvantage, even on hit?? (-7), alll of which amounts to Jeff not having a low game at all. Which means opponents rarely need crouch, especially if they have good TE skills. Jeff really needs a good low attack. Badly.

The [3][P],[P] seems useful, but i'm not sure whether it would be more appropriate to use [6][P] to set up guessing games...

Also, i would love to know how much of an advantage [4][3][P]+[K][K] gives on block. I don't see this move used too often, and it's very good, causing a substantial block stun and a nice force crouch on hit.
    And back to my original point on using dashes to begin Jeff's motions: i think this is the only way to really get off [4][6][6][P] without getting your face caved in before you get the thing off, i.e. backdashing first, then [6][6][P]. I see backdashing first as the only way to make this move even viable in a match at all.

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Aii...your Jeffry game needs work.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty sure nothing is guaranteed after , although it seems like you have a slight advantage. Don't know about MC.

[/ QUOTE ]

On MC, sidekick and DEU are guaranteed. Nothing on normal.

[ QUOTE ]
    I have not yet found a single situation where was preferable to +. It must be useful for something... maybe dodging/TE-ing opponents? (You'd think or would be more useful here) It's just too slow, even with no charge, and has zero range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never was that useful in the first place, but you can use it for overtly defensive opponents, or if you've confused the opponent. Or you can charge it while opponents are rising/QRing/TRing.

[ QUOTE ]
    Only problem is, even though + is quicker, it leaves you still with a slight disadvantage, even on hit?? (-7), alll of which amounts to Jeff not having a low game at all. Which means opponents rarely need crouch, especially if they have good TE skills. Jeff really needs a good low attack. Badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would make him very strong if he does, but he doesn't really need one. Throw.

[ QUOTE ]
    The , seems useful, but i'm not sure whether it would be more appropriate to use to set up guessing games...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeffry's elbow, while fast, is not a good move. The delay after the elbow is terrible (he's throw counterable if you don't use the canned hammer...I think) so it's not really a move that's designed to easily and consistently provide guessing games in your favor. I.e. the risk-reward ratio isn't in your favor. [3][P][P] is better, though this move is more useful to interrupt than to set up guessing games.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, i would love to know how much of an advantage + gives on block. I don't see this move used too often, and it's very good, causing a substantial block stun and a nice force crouch on hit.
    And back to my original point on using dashes to begin Jeff's motions: i think this is the only way to really get off without getting your face caved in before you get the thing off, i.e. backdashing first, then . I see backdashing first as the only way to make this move even viable in a match at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Movement is important for all characters, but you're right in that it's probably more important for Jeffry since his moves are usually slow or have poor recovery.

3. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

[1][K] looks like [2][K] coming out, so if you wanted to you could mix those two up, although I'm pretty sure both moves have questionable usefulness compared to jeff's other moves.

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Listen to Ice -- his Jeffry is a bastard. I generally find Jeffry as a problem character for me, since everyone always dodges, knees, and then does teh follow up for 45% of the bar. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trust me - he's strong.

5. DarkBlaze

DarkBlaze New Member

I identify with u on the whole Jeffery issue Aeon; but i think Jeffery is a good, safe player 2 use, regardeless of his diminished strength. He has a height and reach capablitiy that gives him a good outside game, unlike VF's other big man. I generally use [6_][6_][K] and [4_][6_][P] in most netural situations.
    a lot of his moves are unreversalable too. Making him harder 2 counter than he should be. I like jeffery, anyone ghetto enough 2 headbutt in a high techinque marshal arts game easily earns my respect /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Not in evo... w/ Aoi anyway. She can reverse 'em all!

7. DarkBlaze

DarkBlaze New Member

Weak Ass Joke?? Naw!
    It's gotta be your style of play. Jeffery is one of those characters that can rely a good defense,basic commands and suprise specials to win matches.

My entire Jeff game consists of [4][P], [P],[P][P][K], [4][K], and creating juggles and ground hit combos off of his rises...
    Simplify your game...

8. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

oi, thanks for the input but this post is a couple of months old... /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

i've been playing VF4evo for the past 6 months (pretty much dedicated to this game than any other) with my friend (who plays alot more than me) challenging every weekend for 4-6hrs straight, pretty even matches, 50/50 in wins. my best character would probably be jacky, but for the pass two weeks i trained myself to use jeffery, and only jeffery! his guy ruled in power and i've starting to edge away my victories in higher numbers leaving my friend dazed & confused. the only problem i have with jeffery is low attacks. has he got any? i seem to be using [2][K]+[G] or [1][K], which it's not enough to mix ground attacks. while [2][K]+[G] comes out fast, the recovery is poor even when i hit my opponant. and [1][K] is too short for my liking. any tips for low attacks? apart from that he is damn solid and has a good guessing game.

10. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    man jeffry is VERY, VERY, VERY STRONG. believe me i know, i am a dedicate jeff player and i can tell you it's not the character, it's you. just keep working with him you will see.

11. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

yes, yes....as i said before he is ruled in power and damn solid in the game. i've been playing him in Quest Mode for over 4hrs now and i'm 5thDan (not bad since i've never used him before), but i want to know if there is a solid tactics or moves for ground attacks (read previous post). cheers.

12. JRock

JRock Active Member

Make sure you take a look at the training modes.

As for [2][K][G] as you can see if you try [4][K][P] as shown in series I think right off the bat it will nail his [2][P]

However before I used this [2_][3][P] right after [2][K][G] will stagger if it hits and you can do a combo (I use [6][6][P][P] or maybe another [K][G]) This move has different properties than the alternative as I don't think it's throw counterable but I think you should try a evading guarding throw escape if blocked.

Also I enjoy from a fairly distance going up to the opponent real fast and [2][P] him as he is anticipating the longer range moves and then I [1][1] and [4][3][P][P]him

13. Liquid_Lion

Liquid_Lion Member

sounds like some good strats that you present.
    Jeffry owns as far as im concerned. People say hes real slow and stuff but his [2][P] range makes up for his slowness. i get bitched at all the time for whoring the [2][P]. i dont really care because thats one of Jeffs defensive strategies.

anyone with any good strats please let me know.