1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Arcadia's FS version A tier list

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Didn't buy the magazine, I just saw the tier list and made a mental note of certain things about the top tiers, sorry if the info is scant...

SS: Akira
    S: Lion, Jacky, Taka-arashi
    A: Goh, Lau, Wolf, Brad, Shun, Vanessa, Jean, Sarah, Kage, Jeffry, El Blaze
    B: Pai, Aoi, Lei-Fei, Eileen

Akira is top above everyone else because of his ridiculously good ability to guard crush everyone with f+P+K+G and d+P+K+G, and he is extremely dangerous when he's attacking from the side.

Jacky and Taka-arashi are polar opposites of each other when it comes to playstyle, but they sit atop the rest of the cast nonetheless. Jacky has insane striking ability in version B when you factor in his buffed up slide shuffle. Taka is a monster now because his d/b+PP, d/f, d/f+P+K lift higher and his throws from both directions do at least 80 damage, making it a complete guessing game as to what throw to escape.

2. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

That looks like a solid tier list so far. What makes Pai so low in the list?

3. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Thank you for taking the time to post the tiers.

I was under the impression that all throw escaping was a "complete" guessing game in VF5FS. Maybe you're searching for a different word to describe the throw guessing game when it comes to Taka? "Non-trivial" guessing game? "Challenging" maybe? "Frightening"? 80 dmg throws sure frighten me, that's for sure.

Other than that i want to state that, no matter what the tiers say, AFAIC this seems like the most damaging iteration of vanessa EVER. OS does stupid damage and DS got the new stance, pk punishment and non-clashing sabakis. In fact Myke should be glad we don't have VF5FS - complaints about DS [1] [P] would make VFdc's bandwidth costs skyrocket.

MakiLeSushi likes this.
  4. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Jeez, and this guy is studying for his doctorate. Since you can only escape 1 direction, you're obviously more likely to pick the higher damage/more dangerous option to break (e.g. burning hammer/TFT and the like). Your opponent is also more likely to attempt those throws. If both directions do massive damage, then there is no clue as to what you should break. Less sassing the people actually playing the game and more VF practice (since you suck).

P.S. I'm fully aware erdraug has me on ignore. This is entirely for my own satisfaction [​IMG]

5. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Excuse me Reno, are you referring to my post or to Marlyjay's post? I admit that i typed my message somewhat hastily and i forgot to thank you for taking the time to post this latest tier List. I have since remedied my omission.

I sincerely hope you don't take offense to me pointing out that the word "complete" is ill-suited to describe taka's throw guessing game. It's just semantics.

6. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Cheers for the info Reno [​IMG]

.... and yay for offtopic racism!

7. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Both i imagine. No one cares about your semantics [​IMG]

Reno, have there been gameplay changes since Final Showdown version A? Because i can't even say i was aware of any testing or anything like that.

8. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Am I correct that version "B" is a typo Reno? Sega is still running Ver.A if I'm not mistaken. [​IMG]

9. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    That would explain my confusion. Version A seems very balanced imo. The top tiers have lots of options, but everyone seems completely viable now, even Jeff!!

10. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Yes, it's version A, not B, sorry for the confusion.

11. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ULVeTwKHk#t=1m52s

12. wali

wali Member

i hope it come to console with this list.keep it up Akira

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Over on kamaage's site, Joseph posted his tiers as follows:

SS: Akira
    S: Lion, Taka
    S-: Jacky
    A+: Goh
    A: Shun, Brad, Lau, Vanessa, Wolf
    B: Sarah, Lei, Jeffry, Kage, Aoi, El Blaze
    C: Eileen, Pai

There's some explanatory text in the post if anyone cares to translate. Note that Jean appears missing from the list, not sure why.

14. Jigohro

Jigohro Well-Known Member

I remember years ago when Akira's damage potential in FS became apparent people were vocally worried on the forum, but others calmed them down because "it's no big deal really, anyone can do combos like that, he's always been like this etc".

Fast forward a little, Akira: SSSSSS rank [​IMG] .

Pai~Chun likes this.
  15. Mooseking_Lion

Mooseking_Lion Well-Known Member

WTH I thought it was universally considered that Eilleen was rather top tier.

Did Koedo drop Jean, if so that's why heis not on there [​IMG]

Edit: Lol @ S- and A+

guess there's more than one way to flatten out a tier list!

16. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It's not the damage. It's the crazy mixups he can force you into coupled with 2 good guard breaks and a guard break string. Eileen at the bottom and she looks great in FS version A imo. Game looks super balanced.

17. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Very Clear to me why Jacky is S this time around. All his weaknesses was covered, All his normal generic combos is beef up because of the enchanced float and collison box of the iageri kicks. He has a low full circular, His [k]+[g] is faster and can lead into a side shuffle backhand for more damage. His low fist backhand is faster on execution which makes opponents aware of lows.. Akira on the other hand was beastly when you first seen him. Im glad he is SS. For his difficult learning curve he is very rewarding. Taka Should be a S since his size gives him a different play mechanic when your fighting against him. The draw-back is he can get hit with a lot of strings cause of his special back stagger. I just can wait to play this game.

18. tatey0u

tatey0u Member

Since FS's new throw and escape system, Lei-Fei's basic stance to throw game is gone, he's gonna need some real tune up for his moves.

19. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

Holes as a character, yeah. Just like they fixed Sarah in R. I don't think that's still going to change how Jacky or Sarah would approach Aoi players for example. Aoi players still going to give headaches with tenchi, but now we can sweep her after she does HER sweep into counter at ranges the other lows would miss or be too slow.

Also, Jacky won't have issues going up against Jeffry because he has more bang on the combos now.

And lastly, even though Jacky is in the upper range of FS, if we even ever get the chance to play, I'm probably still going to lose to Lei Fei, Shun, and Lau users that go nuts on the controls... until I hit em with that swoll beatknuckle combo now. Damn that shit hits hard, equalizer.

20. DurViener

DurViener Well-Known Member

Someone explain to me why Eileen and Lei Fei are bottom tier