1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa - Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by MakiLeSushi, Mar 7, 2013.

1. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Damnit Manji, you totally killed my April Fool's joke :mad:

2. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Does anyone know why OS IS [P][+][G] does not work against Back Turned opponents?!

3. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Simple and stupid, but correct answer: Because it doesn't. Most catch throws don't unless they've been specifically designed to.

4. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    So i'm in the dojo vs Taka, terrace stage, CPU set to fastest unstagger, position: CPU's back against the wall.

I do OS [6][6][P] > [6][6][P]. What happens: [6][6][P] wall staggers, the CPU unstaggers in time for the second hit to NOT be considered a combo, then the second [6][6][P] knocks Taka down

Can anyone explain what's going on? [6][6][P] is not supposed to knock down on NH! :confused:

EDIT: Further testing reveals this ALSO happens with some other moves:

[6][P] knocks down, which guarantees [6][P][P][K] and a shoulder ram for 53 dmg!
    [P][+][K] knocks down which guarantees [P][+][K][K] (which may low wall splat for additional [6][6][K][P] damage)
    [6][K] knocks down which guarantees [6][K][K][P][P] and a shoulder ram for 63 dmg !
    [3][P] counts as CH which guarantees [3_][K][K] vs Taka.
    [6][6][K] knocks down (strict timing though, and combos don't seem that damaging).

EDIT#2: Testing in city stage now: same deal. It appears that after a wall stagger some moves retain their stagger hit properties, even when the stagger appears to be over.

EDIT#3: Testing vs JEFFRY now. The shoulder rams after [6][P] string and [6][K] string don't connect; [3_][K] connects after [6][P] string for 51.

[6][6][P] wall hit > [3_][K][P][K] also does 51.

[3][P] and [6][6][K] still count as stagger hit but the damage output is still less than [6][P] string.

Finally I realized that [P][+][K][K] > [2][K][P][K] actually does LESS damage after a stagger hit, making it an unattractive followup (on its own 5 hits, 61 dmg; after [6][6][P] wall stagger 5 hits, 54 dmg). Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Since hits into stagger count as combo and thus are susceptible to damage scaling, combo making less damage off a stagger makes sense.

I have no idea what is causing the knockdown in the situation you first described though.

6. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Minor update: i think we should file this under "dojo weirdness".

I remembered i didn't test for [3][K] string last time. After testing (it doesn't do more damage than the [6][P] string), i set the CPU to CounterHit.

All of a sudden [3][K], [6][P] and [6][6][P] no longer knock down (ie. the hit counts as a regular CH).

7. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I'm a bit late on this but this is something I've also noticed. After a stagger the opponent still has "stagger properties". This only applies if the opponent doesn't do anything and stays neutral. It reads as a regular CH because they are doing something, they could also guard or evade. Similarly if you just set the CPU to crouch or crouch guard you'll hit them but it'll just be NH since they are not neutral.

It's weird but it has no practicable use since it requires the opponent not to press anything.
    Another way you can do this is doing Blaze 9P+K~K, RD K with fastest struggle on and opponent on normal hit. The knee crumples even though it's not guaranteed. It doesn't if the opponent is pressing anything.

erdraug likes this.
  8. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Watching the Railway series uploaded by Blackstar, i noticed the following combos:

1st railway vid, @1:28:56: OS [6][6][K] crouch stagger [P] > [3][P] > [2][P] rebounce > [P][+][K][K] vs lau

3rd railway vid, @03:13: OS [6_][K] CH vs akira > [1][K][+][G] > OM to vane's stomach > [6][P][+][K] > [2][P] rebounce > [6][6][K][P] vs Akira.

I think that, if these are true, unescepable, combos, they'd be max damage for these particular characters. Could someone test, please?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    MakiLeSushi likes this.
  9. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I will test it this evening. The one vs akira if it works it s a great newz :)

10. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Both are white combos 76 dmg vs lau and 86 for the one vs akira the 2p have to be delayed i use with my pad 33pkg maybe for stick players 333pkg is required. Nice job erdaug...

erdraug likes this.
  11. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Good news! Thank you for testing Maki!! I'll add them to the combo list ASAP.

Looks like Japanese players still have some tech hidden up their sleeve :ninja:

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    They definitelly have, just this weekend Kanzen Nitaku presented a tech I will never imagine to even try :)

13. acebreaker

acebreaker Member

PSN:
    acebreaker0318
    XBL:
    VF Acebreaker

Sorry erdraug.

OS [6_][K] CH vs akira > [1][K][+][G] > OM to vane's stomach > [6][P][+][K] > [2][P] rebounce > [6][6][K][P] vs Akira.

I knew This combo, but this is unstable.
    Results vary depending on the starting move.
    Who developed the combo even know.

watch this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKku9L-ZJ48

erdraug likes this.
  14. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Thank you @acebreaker ! I am updating the combo list with your combos.

And thank you for taking the time to create a video; combo #1 ([6_][K][G] > [6][P][+][K][+][G] > DS [3_][K]) is astonishing!

15. Throwback

Throwback Member

How do I apply pressure in DS after my opponent blocks p?

6k is 15 frames - loses to 2p
    6p is 16 frames - loses to 2p
    while rising p is 13 or 14 frames - but is it possible to buffer out of a move?

the 2nd p of pp is mid and the stagger is recoverable, so I'd like to be able to hit check it and follow up with k. So far I haven't been able to hit check the k though - do I just need to practice more?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    After blocked P you use while standing P. It's always 13 frames but as it takes a frame to put yourself in crouching state it's effectively 14.

Practice by setting the CPU in dojo to block and then 2P. Do Jab and then WS P. The WS P should land on the same frame as the CPUs 2P and give you a counter hit. To get this to work you have to buffer the WS P. I do this by inputting [3][3][5][P]

To hitcheck the K in the PPK string the 2nd P needs to land CH or crouching. I'm not sure it combos on standing NH.

Throwback and Ellis like this.
  17. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

How do you figure out real frame advantage after doing a successful evade equation and getting your pseudo advantage then converting into real advantage.

Ie- -4 for lion evading p class nets 0.
    -4 for lion evading 2p class nets +6
    -4 for lion evading 6p class nets +9
    -4 for lion evading 3k class nets +17
    -4 for lion evading 33p class nets +18

18. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    OK, staggers might be recoverable, but I was under the impression that but if DS PP staggers it's impossible for the opponent to unstagger fast enough to block the PPK.

Same deal with DS 66P - if it crouch staggers then 66PP is guaranteed, right?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  19. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You subtract your advantage from the total frames right? So if you're at +6 then [P] is effectively 27-(+6) frames total, so you should be at least +2 if your [P] is evaded from +6 as evade takes 23 frames in FS. That's assuming the evade was buffered. If they evade later in the animation the advantage will be greater.

20. Throwback

Throwback Member

Don't know about 66PP but you are right on PPK. I'm too slow to hit-check it currently :(