1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Brad Video and Critique thread

Discussion in 'Brad' started by R_Panda, Aug 9, 2012.

1. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    A thread for personal videos and gameplay critique.

I'll start us off with a playlist consisting of some of my matches from Winner's Finals and Grand Finals from Best Bout Beatdown 14 here in Portland Oregon. Feel free to examine and dissect my Brad. I made some obvious mistakes but maybe my fellow Brad players can find some more subtle adjustments that could be made.

Please forgive the handcam, the videos after the first are recorded a little better but this was the best I could do at the time, since we didn't get the tourney streamed.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA75D613B535C2519&feature=view_all

2. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Well, I am definitely not a competitive player so take it for what it is worth, but I think that the use of Duck [P][P][P][P] should be avoided.

Or at least, if it is blocked, the only options should be slipping [P]+[K] (if you think that the opponent will try a high or mid slower than 14frames) or guard/evade etc.
    I even believe that a simple [2][P] could beat any attempt of Duck [K]+[G] (I couldn't test it training, the CPU try to [2][P] after the second punch...)

Duck [P][P][P][P] on guard leaves you on great disadvantage as described on the Quantitative Frame Data for Stance Entry topic.
    On your video your opponent doesn't punish it, but when I fight a Brad player who tries to do it, I punish it directly by a [4][P]+[K]. Even simple PPP strings from any character can punish it.

You will probably tell me that even [6][P] leaves you at a higher disadvantage if blocked, but it doesn't give your opponent so much time to react and prepare to punish.

That said, I saw in a recent replay that DrFamilia uses it too, so maybe it's me that I missing something.

And I use this opportunity to thanks Libertine for its work on the Quantitative Frame Data for Stance Entry topic, definitely a great help to realize which tools to use after a duck/slip.

3. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Against people that know about PPPP on duck, I usually just go for PPP and then throw. Like G_A, I think Brad has better options out of ducking, but this one will get people once in a while. If they are punching you out of the throw, well, then you can carry on with the string, or end it and evade/mid/whatever.

Like everything, even bad moves can win you rounds if your opponent isn't expecting it. Some players will get hit with PPPK on the last hit, simply because it's a bad string for Brad to use and they'll give you the credit of assuming you wouldn't carry it through.

4. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Excepting the Taka match, I only used ducking PPPP twice, both times in the fifth video, sequentially. I did it into itself because I knew my opponent was scared and I didn't think he knew what level every attack was. It paid off and Shun got ch during the second string, which made the slipping P afterwards safe, which gave me another string I hadn't overused to pressure with. I appreciate how dangerous stancing out of ducking PPPP on block can be, but when you're playing Brad you can look for times that the opponent is scared even when the frames say they shouldn't be. That's also why I started ducking after blocked 6P occasionally in the later matches, because my opponent wasn't reacting quite fast enough and I felt contextually safe.

Ducking K+G avoids all lows G_A. It's specially designed as an option on block to beat someone trying to 2P you out of ducking shenanigans. I never use it, but that's something I need to start using and recognizing situations for.

Going over my matches again, I can see clearly something I felt and adjusted over the matches, which is using too many highs, like starting a lot of my pressure with 4P to get that ch 4PK. I cut it out more later on though, I think.

5. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Well, if you had an idea that your opponent was clueless about it I get it.
    It's just that move it's one of the favorite move of the shenanigans Brad player, your opponent probably lacked of some basic training against online Brads [​IMG]

Yup, I know, I just couldn't verify if the disadvantage wasn't too big.
    Tomorrow I should test with [6][K][P] ducking [K]+[G] on training, since it has the same disadvantage when guarded.

Now that you mention it.
    Why would do you want that much a ch with the [4][P][K] ? [6][K][P] is one frame slower, but starts with as a mid and give you the same frame advantage on normal hit.

Personally I usually use [4][P][K] only when my opponent tends to evade a lot.

6. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Because my opponent was at first consistently blocking high or not jabbing me out of the 4P, and 4PK is mid, and Shun has lots of high-evasive moves. It's also more delayable.

7. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I don't agree with what people are saying about Ducking [P][P][P][P] too much. It's a good move if you can mix it up. That frame data stuff I posted on stance entry isn't the only part of the equation. Your opponent has to guess that you're even going to enter a stance, and that's when attacking through disadvantage works. Just remember: the first two hits of the string are guaranteed after CH [4][K]. You can delay the string a lot, too. So after the two punches land, you can delay the next two or throw as an example of a possible mix up. Also, as you probably already know, the entire string is a NC on Taka.

As far as criticism goes, it's hard to do to an extent. I don't know what you were trying to set up, what your experiences with player reactions have been to stuff, etc. For instance, I've noticed that you've been using Ducking [P][+][K] Delay [P] a lot. It's hard to criticize because it was working most of the time. Just to let you know, the [2]/[8] enders track to either side and side turn the opponent. Though they're high, they're an alternative to ending with the mid and are safe on guard. You can also fuzzy after the first punch because you're at -5, or you can go for a throw.

I'm going to concentrate mostly on character-specific issues. That Shun player was using [P][+][G] mostly, so you should have been entering that throw escape. It give Shun two drinks. If you keep escaping that throw, the Shun player will probably use a [6] directional throw, one of which I believe also gives Shun two drinks. Make sure you sober him when it's free. Whether you want to go for sobering over damage is up to you. It's related to your style of play, and I don't want to criticize that. However, when you end a round with [3][K], as you did in one round, you should be doing something like [6][P][+][K] -> [3][P][P] -> [9][K] afterwards. It will sober Shun by 3 drinks. Sometimes you can get him to assume a knocked-out posture on the ground where you can still hit him too, like after a CH down attack. Then you can keep using [9][K] for as often as you can hit him. This move sobers. Lastly, that mule kick of his is jab punishable, so try that when you guard it.

Against Taka, [9][P][+][K] [4][6][K][+][G] is what you should be using, unless you find that the player isn't teching [9][K]. Against his throws, it's a 50/50 as both his forward and back throws do 80 damage. [4] is the direction for the combo throw. I also noticed that you used [3][P][P] after the Neck Catch throw a lot. Seems like you understood its potential! Not sure if you noticed that Taka wasn't side turned after your one attempt on him. The opponent can avoid being side turned if he remains neutral while being thrown. If you anticipate this, use [6][K][+][G] -> [6][P][+][K] -> [3][P][+][K][P]. After a couple of times of using [3][P][P] he's still not side turned, there's a pretty good chance that the knee will land next time, since he's not trying to guard. I'm sure you noticed that [2][P][+][K][6][P] doesn't launch Taka unless the second hit is a counter hit. Otherwise, you'll get +5 instead. So if you want to evade then launch, maybe try using [6][P][+][K] or something instead.

A couple of combo pointers:

After [6][P][+][K] on Taka, use [P] [3][P][+][K][P]. After Ducking [P][+][K][P], use [3][P][+][K][P].

A couple of general observations that I've noticed:

Don't use Ducking [K] so much. Even though it's safer than Ducking [K][+][G], you should be creating nitaku between that and his catch throw. If you have enough frame advantage, use Ducking [P][+][K] for the mid instead. Also, you tend to rely on Brad's forward throw a bit too much.

For the sake of helping you to improve, I didn't mention much good that you did. I think that you have a nice overall handle on Brad, though. The things I mentioned will help you take your game to the next level.

8. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

So why wouldn't you advantage slipping [P]+[K] ? It leaves you pretty safe if guarded, it's one frame faster and lead to bigger opportunities if it connects.

And what about attacking after a fully guarded Ducking [P][P][P][P] ?
    I don't see what the opponent has to guess, a simple [P] would be a basic answer to any attempt without risk and the opponent has plenty of time to prepare the countermeasure.

But I admit that I never thought about mixing the 3rd/4th delaying hit with throws, probably because as far as I remember I never saw somebody doing it.
    I should try, could be interesting and be the only interest of this move at my eyes .

9. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

You wouldn't necessarily use Slipping [P][+][K] because it's a high.

After guard, you can just go on the defensive. A jab won't beat that.

10. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Ducking [P] is a high too. o_O

Maybe I see things the wrong way, but how I read the scenarios, when going into stance, enemy has basically 2 or 3 choices :

- going for a high or mid attack -> I would try to punish it with a slipping [P]+[K]
    - going for a low attack -> I would try to punish it with a ducking [K]+[G]
    - going to defend or evade -> I would try a ducking [P]+[G]

Depending on the advantage you can get from the previous move you can use a ducking [P]+[K] to answer to an attempt of any level attack (and leave the opponent at 2 choices).

But I totally agree that in order to surprise the opponent doing other moves should be always considered, but not prioritized.

I fully agree, that just leaves the opponent with a +2 advantage. That a part of what I was hinting when I wrote "without risk".

11. Libertine

It's all relative to style and the opponent's knowledge of the situation. In Panda's case, the additional Ducking Rush was enough to create pressure on his opponent. Had he used Slipping [P][+][K], it may have been guarded and the momentum ended. Ducking [P][+][G] would have broken the opponent's guard, forcing him to guess between three throws. At the same time, it would have been beaten by an attack had the opponent attacked. So Ducking Rush is kind of a happy medium between interrupting certain attacks and maintaining pressure.

But you're right. On paper what you've said is totally true. Against better opponents one would probably opt to not use another Ducking Rush.

12. King9999

King9999 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    mmking9999
    I like your use of a delayed [P] after Ducking [P]+[K]! I gotta steal that one. :p

The only thing I can add is after landing [P], try using Slipping [P][P][K] then [K] just before the first kick hits. I noticed that you missed the [3][P][P] a few times, so maybe the alternate move will be more reliable for you.

EDIT: Not sure if this happened in your vids (wasn't looking out for it), but if you land Ducking [P]+[K][P] with the opponent against a wall, you can follow up with a [9][P]+[K] for a restand, and then do whatever you want from there.

13. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    This is super late but I want to say thanks for any and all comments and advice. I had meant to respond much sooner, but I suppose I have just forgotten and been busy. Special thanks for your indepth character advice Libertine. I have to admit despite the Shun player being someone I play with weekly I had yet to delve into studying anti-Shun tactics beyond dealing with his lying down stance, and sobering him up wasn't of any priority at the time, though now I'm sure I'll see what my options are for dealing with Shun getting drunker than I care for. My game should be a lot cleaner now and there will hopefully be more footage coming out of Best Bout Beatdown 15 this weekend for ya'll to peruse. Thanks again, but I wanna see some of your peeps' videos!

14. Libertine

I believe that King9999 has videos, if he'd like to share them. There's a couple of videos of myself up on YouTube, but I don't play the same way that I played in those videos now. tonyfamilia might start uploading videos of his play again someday.

15. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Names aren't always up to date. Sorry about the lack of sound.

http://www.twitch.tv/bestbout/b/342548029
    1:20:00
    FT3 with AJS_
    1:31:20
    FT3 with shinryu
    1:40:25
    FT3 with Chanchai

FT5+ with Chanchai begins 2:29:00 /some of my best matches of the night
    Afterset casuals begin 2:43:12

Chanchai likes this.
  16. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    The Beatdown #18 - VF5FS LR4 - Chanchai VS R_Panda

The Beatdown #18 - VF5FS WR2 - R_Panda VS ajs_

Uh..this is before I get over some tournament nerves against this player and character...you don't have to watch this one...

The Beatdown #18 - VF5FS LF - ajs_ VS R_Panda

This is after I get over my nerves.

Slap me with wisdom

17. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Well not sure about bringing any wisdom, but here some of my thoughts :

- easy to say (and I am the first to be concerned about that) but you need to work on your punishment since it's definitely one of Brad's strength. 6PK -> +16, almost (all?) full circular mid -> +15, Jacky's launcher -> +15
    - sometime you don't take the opportunity from your nitaku, specially after first hit of Duck P+K. Instead of giving the second hit or throwing, you go for totally another move not very interesting (I remember even you doing a 2P instead once). And if you really don't feel trying to attack you can fuzzy. It really intrigues me.
    - you probably checked since, but Jacky's best throw is 4 :D

R_Panda likes this.
  18. adverse

adverse Active Member

Good stuff man. I thought your high-low game was good.

I would advise more swayback game once you have people on the ground. Sometimes you can land the K on wake-up, other times you can get the guard break. Would also encourage you to use 46P+G more. After that throw you can combo 46K+G if your opponent is slow to get up and you can also set up the guard break.

R_Panda likes this.
  19. G_A

G_A Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember that wakeup game could be improved, but I understand that sometimes it's hard to get the rhythm when the opponent doesn't techroll every time.

That said, I would personally not use swayback for it, SB P+K and SB K have very different timing, a player a bit familiar with Brad will see the guard break coming. And if you miss the right timing, both can be evaded.
    Personally I prefer Duck P+K/P+G. Slipping K instead of Ducking P+K can do the trick too, it's hard to react on time if it's a slipping or a ducking.

About the 46P+G I don't really see the point, you only get +3 pts of damage for something that is not guaranteed. After 66P+G, 3K is always guaranteed. To use only if the opponent tends to never techroll.

R_Panda likes this.
  20. Libertine

From what I can remember, you should work on throw escaping more. I'm not sure if it was because your reaction or execution was lacking, or if it was because you didn't know the throw direction your opponent was using most often. The throw the Jacky player kept using was his [4] directional throw.

Sometimes you would end combos in ways that weren't guaranteed, but I'm not sure if that was some sort of strategy in anticipation of your opponent not escaping.

I would start trying to implement [6_][K] into your game. I don't remember seeing it used.

You've improved a lot, though. I should mention that you impressed me with your reaction to a high attack in a string by using Ducking. I should do that.

R_Panda and Chanchai like this.