1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Brad Yomi thread

Discussion in 'Brad' started by deathsushi, Sep 14, 2012.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

The Brad forums seem a little slow these days (though that might be because I remember how active they were during VF5's initial release).

One thing that often doesn't get discussed are tricks related to yomi. One of the keys to playing VF effectively is knowing when you can do something against your opponent that is technically a bad play as far as frame data is concerned, but worth it because you know the mind of your opponent.

Here are some of the things I've noticed:

After Ducking P+G, 4P+G, 3PP is guaranteed. After hitting with this, the opponent almost ALWAYS feels especially vulnerable. A strong followup is usually 66P+G, as their instinct is to turtle after taking the beating they just did. If your opponent is playing abare, 3PP again will often hit. If you've just either broken through a series of attack/counterattacking with your opponent to get the clinch, he's likely especially reticent to attack. In these cases, ducking P+G again will net you big rewards. Finally, you can also swayback and K or P+K to generate further damage.

On the note of 3PP, I've found that, although the frames are great for you after simply hitting on it, the intimidation factor is big. 3PP looks like it's doing grievous damage, and the instinct of the opponent is to block after you hit them with it. I find that 66P+G is almost guaranteed after a successful hit. (obviously it's not, on paper, but in terms of human nature, it's a pretty safe bet).

Sometimes I will notice that I counterhit an opponent out of a rising attack, usually the first one I've seen in a while. At this point, the common reaction for people seems to be to repeat that same attack. I suspect this is because they've invested in actually doing the rising attack, and now they want all the more to complete that sequence. As such, if you notice that you crush an opponent's rising attack, you can likely set up the situation where you swayback (4P+K+G) and launch with K.

Finally, whenever you've hit someone with an especially intimidating combo (eg, PP, ducking, PP, ducking, swayback, K, 3PP, 9K), many opponents are feeling especially bruised and will be inclined to turtle up. Godddamn, they're thinking, it's time to stop the bleeding! During these points, I find that they are considerably open to being thrown on rise.

Since we're operating in the realm of yomi, it's of course valid to say "well, they might do that sometimes, but not always". As always, the case with yomi is about knowing your opponent's mind. Nevertheless, these are the tidbits that I've picked up from playing fighters. Share what tricks you've noticed so that we can continue to evolve our yomi.

Also, big props to all the Brad players online changing their costumes up. Almost every Brad player I play online has a unique costume. Almost every other character I play online is boring old default. Big ups the Brad massif.

2. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    The 3PP isn't guaranteed.

Libertine likes this.
  3. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    Yeah, it can be crouchdashed out of. Though that setup is kinda hilarious.

4. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. Any other yomi tricks you guys use that you'd care to share?

5. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Players sometimes miss the timing of a throw after guarding Ducking [K][+][G], so you can [6][K][+][G] afterwards. I try to enter the knee followed by a throw escape right after as an option select.

R_Panda likes this.