1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Building a Better Community

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Oct 17, 2013.

By Myke on Oct 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    In this recent article on SRK, Opinion: "Toxic Community" and Building a Better FGC, the author presents their opinion on the current state of the Fighting Game Community (FGC), laments that its online and real-world manifestations can often appear at opposite ends of the spectrum, and puts forward a pretty strong case as to why "paying it forward" - or the practice of becoming better people - can lead to a bigger and better community.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    PoisonKid13, BlueLink, Ellis and 3 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Oct 17, 2013.

1. ShinobiFist
      ShinobiFist
      I read that, and is not just the FGC, is the gaming community period, and the folks that allow it. There is a famous Youtube vid on competitive COD in Europe that shows this players cursing up the storm. And what baffles me is that this teams are sponsor by big companies. So if the corporations allow such behavior, why should others change? Again, not all companies are like the example I mentioned, but it has to start from some where. From either top players, or community leaders. I guarantee you if the VFDC community was a foul mouth bunch during tournaments, and respected community members like LA Akira or Rodney, will tell folks to keep it PG during an event(with logical explanation of course) People will. If not, people will get the beats by Flash and SDS :p
    2. Tricky
      Tricky
      I read that as him tailoring the general gaming community problem and targeting it to FGC. Our games are personal in nature so sometimes the bile that can get thrown at you is harder to deal with, while someone in DoTA can brush it off more easily as a team member.
    3. Myke
      Myke
      Of course this applies to many communities, and is not just specific to the FG genre. Once sponsorship and/or money is factored in, we unfortunately start to see the worst coming out of some people.

But I think the message of the article really just applies at the grass roots level, and how we as individuals choose to engage with others. I like that he touched on the parallels of betterment -- the process of helping others also helps us to be better, not only as gamers but as people. And, at the end of the day, that's what community is really about for me.
    4. Kamais_Ookin
      Kamais_Ookin
      "Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up" is a good motto to go by I think, and ties nicely with what you and the author of the article were talking about.
      capt_catalina, phanatik and Ellis like this.
    5. BlondieVF5
      BlondieVF5
      In anything, if you have a good attitude and will to succeed, it will transcend into something that will flourish. From srk, this is probably a waste of time. Most srk readers are harsh young players with a lack of empathy as most online warriors tend to have. The thread speaks volumes to the effect of ego and its effects on an fgc's potential. When hydra sprouted, I won't lie I had a huge ego. IMF was my ego check, he held me accountable for my shit talk. I realized that ego didn't do anything but drive ppl away. I've been an angel ever since >:)
      BlueLink, Valakrie and Pai~Chun like this.
    6. Pai~Chun
      Pai~Chun
      Maybe "Eric" has relocated to Japan now, with finally a smile on his face ;)
      Kamais_Ookin likes this.
    7. Ellis
      Ellis
      Sensible stuff, and a good post indeed.
      Kamais_Ookin likes this.
    8. phanatik
      phanatik
      As with the many circles in our lives, we should be focusing more on building meaningful relationships with our fellow man; that is, of course, contingent on the other person willing to join in the process. If not, move on to the next opportunity, and yet, remain available.
      Myke, nou, Ellis and 1 other person like this.
    9. YOMI
      YOMI
      I blame esports. Esports ruin everything. Get rid of esports, all problems solved. The fighting game community didn't need it for over 15 years starting from the 90's, so why would we need it now?
    10. Optimus_Cack
      Optimus_Cack
      Like hell "eSports" is responsible for this! Fighting games were still a small and obscure hobby even in their "heyday" of the early 90s. To make matters worse, when arcades started dying off (at least in the U.S.) many of those left in the community reflexively became exclusive and elitist. The environment became increasingly toxic, driving off more and more players with time. It was a deadly spiral. Thank goodness SF4 came along when it did (whether or not you liked the game is irrelevant).

We need to change now, because environment we are in is changing. The community needs to adapt or fade into utter obscurity/oblivion. If you want this hobby to persist, you need new blood. How are you ever going to attract new players with such an exclusive and elitist attitude? Do you think they're going to stick around if every other player treats them like garbage?
    11. capt_catalina
      capt_catalina
      Most, if not all, of the local scene has been relatively healthy. What started as an after hours group of regulars showing up at a local game store has snowballed into several venues to get your game on. Every player will have their opinions, attitudes, or dislikes. Yet, we all come together as fans of the game. Anyone that's looking to find what they want out of the game can certainly find it. The talent pool is fiercely competitive and passionate towards their disciplines, but aren't monsters who shun new players. While the untrained will take their licks, there's someone there to help between training, tech/hardware, rides, etc. Those who come back and put their time in will be rewarded.

Before fighting games, my online experience came from Day of Defeat. One particular community was very no-nonsense towards the game, and harbours some of the coolest people I know across the world. You could join their server, and fight your heart out knowing others were doing the same. Your comrades in one round would become targets the next, and the battles were epic. When a community is able to host good sportsmanship and provide fun for any skill, those make for great times.

Sure there's NSFW things that can be found in a given group. But when you look past it, you can find a fight.
    12. Optimus_Cack
      Optimus_Cack
      [Q] or Frenchy's?
    13. capt_catalina
      capt_catalina
      [Q] or Frenchy's?

Mike's Marauders. They still exist, but are into Battlefield these days.
      Sudden_Death likes this.
    14. Plague
      Plague
      Channeling IMF...

Stop with the generalist labeling nonsense. I'm sure a lot of people read SRK - people that can make a difference in the outlook of many.

End IMF channeling
    15. Sudden_Death
      Sudden_Death
      On PC?
    16. capt_catalina
    17. TheWorstPlayer
      TheWorstPlayer
      In my opinion the gamers, their events, and what happens to them except for a few isolated incidents is exactly what it should be. People play these games to be competitive yes, but also to let loose and have fun. The only people that feel badly about the community are those with some agenda outside of that fun.

Now can people clean up their act a little and still have fun? Definitely, but it's the media producers at these events job to create the face of the fighting game community. During a football game you don't see the camera focusing on the fat cursing guy twisting his nipples. The issue with the fighting game community now is whats happening the world over, people posting all types of embarrassing ish just for attention.

I know this because I'm part of another niche community: Capoeira. If you want to talk about a community with a lot of ish floating around look no further. From the outside it looks like just a bunch of people having fun throwing kicks all day but man there's politics, fights, all types of crazy crap that occurs all the time.

Blondie knows, I was the loudest most abrasive gamer to ever exist back in Orlando FL, but I tell you one thing. I'd never video tape my antics and post that ish online for the world to see, then again I had a career to think of. (Yeah I know I made those crazy videos but actually a lot of people didn't think it was me LOL) Most of these guys are just young and having fun.

sh!tcock will happen...and it should...their kids ::shrug::
    18. Sudden_Death
    19. d3v
      d3v
      It's like what happened a few months back at CEO. Instead of focusing on how awesome the event was (as CEO always is), Kotaku decides to focus on one thing, the whole Noel Brown assault incicent that didn't even happen at the event (happened at the hotel). Thanks to focusing on the negative in an effort to get more hits, fighting gamers are once again portrayed as pricks (despite the fact that what happened to Noel could have happened to anyone).