1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

CEO 2015 USA chants

Discussion in 'General' started by MAtteoJHDY, Jun 29, 2015.

1. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I though I would ask here as it is the only fighting forum I am comfortable with,

Yesterday I stayed up until late to watch the USF4 finals at ceo2015. It was a great turnament, really impressive stuff by american players, knocking out JP heavyweights like Daigo, Mago and Bonchan. All good. But one thing was annoying: everytime a JP palyer was defeated by an american players, the crowd would start chanting 'USA USA USA' as if it was about nationality. Why do american people feel the need to do that? Why cant they cheer for the player, rather than for the country?

I dont get it. It is quite embarrassing, especially when a JP player end up winning the tourny and gets asked 'do you think american players got better?'. If it was me I would have said something like 'yeah they got better but the nationalist bullshit helds them back'!

2. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Simply put? Tribalism.

3. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Its international competition. People have nationalistic chants at the olympics or the world cup, so i dont think its a big issue if its at a video game tournament

4. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

5. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    Personally I would only chant when a USA player wins the WHOLE thing.....otherwise I would look like a damn fool just chanting any other time. :)

6. MAtteoJHDY

This makes sense in a way. I mean, I get why they would chant USA USA at the olympic games or at the world cup.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  7. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    I wouldn't lose sleep over this or turn this into a drawn out long discussion. People chant USA simply because the Japanese players have always been on top for years (possibly well over a decade) no matter the game. It's a rivalry that's been going on long since like super street fighter 2 turbo days. Honestly it might even go back farther than that to like hyper fighting.

The chant simply represent " we will not take it anymore. We will not tolerate you guys obliterating us in every game... Coming here and taking all our money and going back home to laugh at us. " they don't really laugh at us but you get where I'm going with this. It's basic saying ENOUGH we have caught up to you and we will surpass. Really it doesn't matter who is up to bat or what nationality they represent. If they ain't japanese the crowd is going chant USA or anything that ain't Go Japan.

BLACKSTAR likes this.
  8. MAtteoJHDY

Ok Rod but the question is:do American player get the same treatment when they travel abroad and fight against local players? If yes, then fair enough.

9. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    No they don't but you know how it is.... AMERICAN'S ARE RUDE AND DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

Damn shame I know. :-(

It's definitely not fair man I won't deny that but then again so are many other things. As long as it doesn't get personal or go any further I don't see the problem with it. Honestly I wish other countries would do it like they do in the Olympics. That shit would be so hype.