1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Character Match-Ups/Strats

Discussion in 'El Blaze' started by daRockReaper, Oct 9, 2012.

1. daRockReaper

daRockReaper Shadow Hammer MADNESS Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    daRockReaper
    XBL:
    daRockReaper612
    I've been playing for 2 months or so as Blaze and have found myself hitting a bit of wall against characters I haven't seen in a while. I know VF is a lot more about getting used to player playstyles, but are there any moves/stances/strings we should look out for? Such as Wolf's elbow (the one a few Wolfs spam) that looks like a high sabaki-able high, but is actually a mid.

2. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

There are people that know a lot more about other characters than me. However, the best advice I can give is that if you get beaten by a specific move then go to dojo>free training and use the record mode and detailed stats to find a way to counter it. In order to find out what the move is, just ask the guy you're playing against (he might be able to save you the dojo trouble) or just go through the other chars move list till you find it. That's my way of dealing with it.

Seidon likes this.
  3. nou

nou Well-Known Member

First, how is your defense? I hate to say it but maybe you should answer that, then hit up the character sections to see why people are favoring with said character and why then you can apply your defensive counters to those situations.

I've been working on mine all day, as the stuff I lose to is stuff I know how to defend against but don't, since it's not muscle memory yet.

I know that's vague, but it's hard since this game has so many options and there aren't too many hard answers, since its pretty open-ended. I'll post some stuff I use against some of the players in my scene to see if we can't get something going.

4. nou

nou Well-Known Member

In an effort to get things active around here.

Against Wolf I like make it a point to

- Evade towards his stomach since that will cleanly Evade most of his moves. Be careful of his charge moves, DA Chop and his kick. Be ready to cancel the Evade Dash Cancel Guard to block the charge kick. Evade towards his back when the opponent is trying to give you the chop, since it's a half-circular that covers his stomach.

When put in a Two choice situation make sure to break forward as it breaks his most powerful throws.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    As a wolf player I must say that evading to wolfs stomach is great idea. You will dodge 624PP in exchange for eating 3k+g for some nice 95 dmg. You will also eat 6k+g; and out of my faster, useful moves it will be KK and 3K .
    I will add that if you are in catch/change, break neutral. Catch neutral vs Blaze can be up to 88 guaranteed dmg; change up to 92 dmg.
    Only exception in Catch with wall/ringout behind Wofls back (even at medium to long distance), when you need to break 4p+g. Only exception in Change is with ringout close behind Wolfs back, then you need to escape 4p+g too.

6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    It really is, especially if you cancel your evades. That way you need never eat 3K+G

7. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I will say it will depend on the disadvantage you evade from..?

Still, I will say that even with ECG the stomach/back are more or less equal.

8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    No, 3k+g slow enough that you'd have to be at -11 to get hit if you 866G. And at that disadvantge Wolf should be throwing you. 63214P is fast enough that it can never be blocked with 866G and if they evade in the wrong direction you get the hit.

Unicorn likes this.
  9. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Good to know, thank you! :)
    My problem is that offline, I have noone to play with who will be able to 866G consistenly... :(

10. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

what are some tips in the taka matchup? so far i find nitaku situations i should mixup 4p+k(can lead to i believe 95 damage on taka?) or throw. also after a knock down i can otg with 6p,k(TWICE!). 4p,k doesnt knock down so 6k and 4p+k are better options when going for a close mid. Taka's rising attacks are seemingly pretty bad and fairly easy to crush. Any other tips?

11. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

If you can do 2_6P+K consistently as -15 punish it gives you a pretty big tool to use provided the Taka player puts himself there.
    Other than that KKK is a KND with RD possibility as -15 punish on Taka.

4P+K is very strong against Taka so you should definitely try to fish for it in nitaku.
    4PKP is guaranteed on Taka on CH or rCH so if you can check it its a good KND into some nice meaties / OTG.

Other than that I all I remember is that you can finish some combos with KKK by delaying the second K a bit.

I'm not good enough with Blaze to give better info on this but hope this gives you some ideas.

EDIT: oh yeah, and 4K,P,P is guaranteed on taka on rCH I think but I never ever found any reason to put this into my game. Maybe you can think of one but I doubt it. It's not too useful.
    Also, P+K,P,P is NC on Taka afaik, but that not too useful since you won't use it outside punishment but you got KKK and 2_6P+K on him anyway.

12. cmase1989

I was just in the lab versus taka, any of his low rising attacks you can crouch throw, even his one thats -6(i guess hes in a forced crouch state on block?) his mid rising attacks are also really easy to stuff with k+g(well everyones are but yeah)

13. cmase1989

after i connect with k+g i like 2p+k and im +4 but it looks like im at a negative, nice way to setup blazes 4p+k counterhit versus taka, against everyone else use 3k instead

14. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    You can low throw any attack that leaves you crouching at -6 - IF your opponent just hold guard. Because if he do not move, it tooks 5 frames to stand up.
    If he attack/evade/dash/whatever, your low attack will whiff

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    cmase1989 likes this.
  15. cmase1989

no way! good to know man