1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a stick for VF4Evolution PS2

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I don't think you can use that stick for a PS2. The DOA4 stick was made for a XBox 360 and I doubt there is an adapter for it.(360 to PS2).

A friend brought his SFAC stick to play last week and I couldn't hit corners with it at all. The stick is modeled after American arcade sticks which have a round gate for the shaft. Hori sticks are modeled after Japanese arcade sticks and have a square shaft. I prefer Hori's style for playing VF, for 2D fighters I'd like to have a round gate.

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Shag a good way to get those demanding throw motions down is to practice your twitch. (wrist movement) In training really disect your mechanics and how you go about twirling the stick. Go slow at first seeing if a certain motion works or not. After you've got that down pick up the pace and keep doing it over, and over. Repetition is key. After you've done that go to the 2p side and do the same thing.

I find 270 motion easier than pulling off PGS, but if you study your motion and master your execution (twitch) you'll be able to stay consistent with the motion and land it most of the time. Repetition is key.

Another factor is the stick you're using. Unfortunately this will have an effect if you've been practicing on a certain stick only to be using a completely different one come the time of play. In these situations you'll have to slow down and make sure your hitting the spots. There are some who are prodigies when it comes to being able to play on any stick, but if you're like me I know you'll find this info helpful. Good luck!

P.S So cool we'll get to hang out while you're here.

3. Too_Sober

Too_Sober Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Shag said:

Most people say that the VF4 Hori was built better. I've heard stories of the Evo stick breaking down fast.

I wouldn't wait to get a stick for VF5, that won't be coming for home for quite sometime and it might not be compatible with the next-gen systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, i believe the PS3 is not compatible with PS2 dual-shock controllers because the PS3 is going to use wireles bluetooth technology, so there just won't be the port on the console for the old PS2 controller. Perhaps an adapter might be released, but who knows how that would work?

I guess we'll find out if VF5 arrives in Spring 2007 or later.

4. Martial

Martial New Member

are the nubytech street fighter 15th anniversary, the mas sticks, or the hori fighting stick 2 good joysticks?

5. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hori fighting stick 2 is worth a go, but stay away from american bat style sticks for 3D games. (unless of course you're comfortable with them)

6. azmun

azmun Member

I don't know if you guys have seen the latest stick. Sega recently announced the virtua stick high grade for vf5 on ps3 (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060915/sega70.htm). Black box with pink combination just looks damn hot! I want one badly. Too bad there are compatibility issues with PS3 and PS2 controllers.

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Yes, it's in the other thread along with the other ps3 news.

8. Konicki

Konicki New Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever used an octogonal gate stick for VF. If so -- Thoughts?

9. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    azmun said:

I don't know if you guys have seen the latest stick. Sega recently announced the virtua stick high grade for vf5 on ps3 (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060915/sega70.htm). Black box with pink combination just looks damn hot! I want one badly. Too bad there are compatibility issues with PS3 and PS2 controllers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know...the pink color kinds of turn me off. and i dont like the design overall. it looks too heavy and uninspired.

10. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    The stick is too close to the buttons for my taste but I'm sure I'll manage just fine.

11. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    Unfortunately, I just read that Lik-Sang has gone out of business due to legal troubles with Sony. This is troubling to me, because I imagine that Play-Asia and other similar sites are on Sony's radar. For those of us who are not technically or mechanically inclined enough to custom make our own sticks, where are we going to be able to find a quality stick?

12. RandomHajile2

RandomHajile2 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Konicki said:

Just wondering if anyone has ever used an octogonal gate stick for VF. If so -- Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

the sammy/capcom vs snk chaos stick has that, and i thought it was crap for vf!

good for 360s tho

13. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

I have an octagonal gate on my sanwa stick, and it seems to help in 2D games quite a bit. For VF, I don't think it really affects much. A square gate might have a slightly shorter travel, but I'd bet after you get used to the octagonal shape it'd be pretty hard to notice the difference in performance.

14. azmun

azmun Member

I used to own an ASCII Stick FT for Dreamcast and this makes use of an octagonal restrictor gate. Never really got accustomed to it and much prefer the traditional square gate.

The pink buttons are almost standard in Japanese arcades. IMHO, this is much better design than the huge HRAP. That one is way to heavy and bulky.

Shag, I think the buttons are designed to be close to the stick intentionally. This aims to mimick the arcade control panels found in Japanese Virtua Fighter cabinets/machines.

15. EVM

EVM Well-Known Member

What type of stick is in a USA VF 1-4 cabinet? I think its a bat type stick but who makes it? Happ? I liked the bat type stick but I also never used the knob type. Anybody actually know the version of bat stick?

16. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

I currently own a Capcom Street Fighter 15th anniversary stick and a Tekken 5 Hori stick. Are either of these good for playing VF? I've been using the d-pad, but I feel that I should switch to an arcade stick to take my skills to the next level. I also could usee some tips\exercises to get used to using an arcade stick as I am not good at using them.

17. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I totally recommend you use your T5 stick for playing VF. I had a T5 stick and used it for 2+ years.

I tried playing VF on a SF15A stick and I had many problems getting moves out.

It will take quite some time to get used to going from pad to stick. I would say about 6-8 weeks of constant play but your input and movement should become better.

18. LDC

LDC Well-Known Member

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'll start practicing tonight.

19. satantoecheez

satantoecheez New Member

is the hori arcade pro or hori soul calliber stick any good for virtua fighter. ive been using a pad since the saturn days now and trying to go back to stick. any help on choice would be helpful

20. comoesa2

comoesa2 Well-Known Member

Arcade pro...but its expensive and hard to find.