1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Close up Defense and offence

Discussion in 'Lei' started by dcyuen, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dcyuen

dcyuen New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help! I have trouble fighting up close against faster ones like Kage, Jacky, Aoi.

-How to interrupt their close up offense?
    -Any tips when fighting against them? (Their combo are faster)

Thanks!

2. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm not a Lei user, but i'd recommend looking at the Lei Command List. From there you can check the execution time for your moves and see which are the fastest.

Looking myself i don't think Kage, Jacky or Aoi (with the exception of [4] [3] [P]) are really any faster than Lei-Fei though. You can check their command lists as well and decide for yourself.

3. dcyuen

dcyuen New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I been trying to throw in some short mid range 3PP or 6PP, then string with 33PP combo or 9KG combo.

Once in awhile do some Offensive attack, to switch to side direction to distract them.

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

4. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

I once upon a time thought the same thing when using lei, but...

Lei is a beast at any range.

As u get more familiar with the game he will feel faster and faster.

There are many tactics u can use to wreak havoc in close range. Some really powerful options are as follows:

If at slight disadvantage then 3/9pk is ridiculous and borderline unbalanced. This setup pwns. 3pk p, (leaves u in backturned) 9pkg 9pkg (this puts u in doko stance) and then 2k (staggering low k), k 2pkg ppkk. It's very easy after a little practice and very strong.

Another option is 3pk (most opponents assume that u will do the follow-up p) and then throw.

3/9 pk has evasive properties and will be many mids, jabs, and 2p. Very very strong move in close

Next, also an evasive move. Get so that u can whip out 9pkg 2kg super quick and use it as an evasive sweep. Meaning, do it quick enough that u can't see the stance change. After this move u are at disadv on normal hit so ur opponent will usually attack so feed them 3/9 pk (and use one of the above options for a follow-up).

Another good choice is to simply 3k. 13 frame mid k. Sweet! If it is blocked u need to be ready with a quick 33G to fuzzy away the disadvantage.

Another good option is to drop to 2pkg hai stance. This stance itself will often cause a p or mid p to miss. But i like to switch to this and instantly bokutai by pressing down. If they are attacking u can likely get the float pk on them. If they are blocking i use p then delay and p (usually this nets a CH on the delayed 2nd p of bokutai pp), and i dash forward and throw.

Another lei fei special is of course 236 pk sabaki. This is a nasty sabaki. I follow it with 6pp and then quick dash forward cancelled by 2pkg to go to hai, and then pk if the tech roll to get back stagger. But for now just focus on getting the timing of sabaki and follow up. The backstagger is not a garauntee.

Another excellent move is 46pk. This will quickly duck most high, and sometimes shift out of the hitbox of some mids, and then net u a head collapse. If u get the head collapse use 1 pk and then then ppp (easiest), or some other bound combo. If u understand backstaggering a head down face towards tech rolling oppoenent, the play around with finishes that allow u to backstagger with hai pk (this is a good back stagger because it tracks and u don't have to guess which direction ur opponent will tech roll).

Another option is if u anticipate a punch/elbow just jump to doko (9pkg) and take the auto p counter and stomp or use a solid wake up pressure game to press ur advantage.

2p is always an option to slow ur opponents high attacks or throws. Try mixing 2p and throw. 2p folled by k is a pet move of mine. I like it because u can press 2 on hit or gaurd from ur kick and go to bokutai and use the pk or p delayed punch mix ups.

Oh almost forget. The lei fei special. AKA lei fei online super spectial. 2p_6p. Just in case u dont understand the notation. This is u press and down and p, and on block (or preferably hit) then slide to forward p. If they are attacking u will usually get a stomach crumple. I prefer to follow with 33pp, then a crouch forward dash into 2pkg as quick as i can, and if they are tech rolling this puts u in perfect timing to quickly pk arrow punch for back stagger. (note: on back stagger i prefer to just 66k KG 66k, last 66k if they are just recovering).

If they are right outside p range, but still within k range i like to do 1pkg to create space, and the go at them with pk or 2k (massive adv on block/hit/CH). Just mix it up and use what is working.

And of course. Block is always an option [​IMG] [​IMG]
    More specifically, quick 2g and release down and hold gaurd is a good skill (fuzzy gaurd). I personally like 8 (or 2) and the quickly 33G. If it is a successful evade u will evade, and if it's a failed evade u will quickly pull gaurd and catch many mids or highs with ur gaurd leaving u at adv.

I don't really like 3pp unless u are at a decent adv. I'd say around +3 or better (this way is will beat most other mids [​IMG] ) But if u are doing this i would almost always delay the 2nd p on this, that way u can fish some counter hits for gut collapse and then use ur strongest collapse combo or fish for a tech roll back stagger. Also, i would use a steady mix up of 3p delay p and 3p thorw (as they block to wait for the delay).

I bit riskier is 466pk in close range, but it does duck highs. U have to consider 33G fuzzy if u pushed them against a wall, otherwise the push back should allow u to be safe.

Also, i like 2p backdash and then if they just whiffed or are whiffing i use 4pk,p. Sometimes i do 4pk then throw if they like to block standing after 4pk. U can actually get some throws this way after blocked 4pk even though ur at -6.

I hope this helps. If there is sometime when u are online and u want me to go over these with u via the mic i will. Just be willing so listen, lol. [​IMG]

Also, if anyone wants to critique these ideas, i am interested to hear ur opinions. I know i'm not the strongest player out there, and if i can improve on these ideas thru others input, i'm all for it.

5. dcyuen

dcyuen New Member

Thanks bro, I'm gonna try it out shortly and write back!

Yeah I agree 3PP is not a guarantee and difficult to string with 33PP afterward. If opponent block both then I usually in trouble cuz of the frame.

What is 3/9PK? Meaning 3 or 9 + PK

6. social_ruin

yeah bro. 3 or 9 p+k. I'm telling, it's almost overpowered. Gotta use it. Like i said, if ur down i can give ya some ideas to work on. Give me a holler sometime. We could play a set so u could decide whether u think i know what i'm talking about [​IMG] , then i could tell what i look for in the fight, and some of the ways to force advantage with lei that are hard to handle.

Gamertag: social ruin

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Except its 15 frames not 13.

We have the direction icons, its best to use them too. 3K = [3][K].

Just in case, this is the number notation, numbers mean directions as per the PC keyboards numpad.
    7 8 9
    4 5 6
    1 2 3

With [3][3][P][P] its best to learn to hitcheck it, meaning do the first part, then react whether or not it hit or was blocked. If it was blocked, stop there, if it hit, do the followup [P].

8. social_ruin

hahahahaha Son of a bitch. A good lei fei player from this site (whom i will not name) told me it was 13F and i've been playing as if it were for a loooooong time now. At 15F the -6 on block no longer seems like an good trade off. Man. lol. Oh well, that' what i get.

Oh yeah. I also forgot to mention that 43P is deceptively good for at close range as well as round starts. It almost feels like it has special properties, although i don't know what they would be, other than it works better than it seems like it should on paper.

9. Azusabo

Azusabo Well-Known Member

Just a tip, Lei is not best played in a mid-long distance, but a short-mid distance. At a distance it is simple to catch even a strong lei among stance changes if a player has familiarity with Lei. For the OP, nothing fancy is required to break an offense, before you learn how to sabaki/use stance to counter etc. You can stick to basics. Learn how to break an offense with DM, 2p, p, and select one quick mid. You will find once you learn how to dodge and when to interrupt that you can learn to take better damage from Lei's great offense.

10. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    3 or 9 p+k is very good it can stagger opponents while crouching ,has builtin properties to dodge attacks, very good against evaders. downfall is the move on guard its unsafe and its followup P is even more unsafe.
    I use 3pp quite often during a crouching back dash or during combos. 3p on guard is safe while its followup p on guard is unsafe but causes stomach crumple on CH. U can input a slight delay during 3pp to catch ur opponents for a CH

Against punch happy ppl use guard gain the advantage then use 8p+k+g. Many ppl will 2p when they sense trouble. Other moves depending on what u guard will beat out their fastest abare counterattack options. K, 66p, 43P+K, 43p, P,2p. these moves wont work if they decide to evade instead.

11. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    This reminds me , [4] [3] [P] [+] [K] is useful against characters who rely on unconventional moves for defense (i know it frustrates the hell out of my sabaki-happy vane, that's for sure).

12. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    a very underrated move with lei is 46p i find it especially useful against jacky and vanessa players waiting to grab lei p strings.

13. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    This move is pretty useful. If people haven't noticed, its only 14 frames and as such also can be used for punishing. Its punch-counterable but I would still use it.