1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Combo not applicable?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Eternal, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Eternal

Eternal Member

In the combo legend there is

Hit Type

n
    Normal Hit
    c
    Counter Hit
    blank
    Combo not applicable

What does Combo not applicable mean?

Obviously it means not relevant or appropriate but why is some combo charts all blank with some combos..Example jacky's Beat Knuckle combos ver B are all blank in the char list, theres no Normal Hit or Counter Hit present..

2. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Never really noticed the Combo not applicable in the legend before, if it's a blank box on the combo list then you I guess you should assume that the combo doesn't work on that particular character.

Some off the combo lists are a bit messy though, I know Jacky's was last time I checked. I kept meaning to go through and check everything on there but never got round to doing it [​IMG]

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    To explain the blank (Combo not applicable), let me give a little history as to how the Combo Lists were first created.

The original Combos were based off the VF5 Black Book. The character applicability attributed to the combos found within the Black Book are prescriptive, and not exhaustive. What do I mean by that? Well, in broad terms, these are the best, recommended, optimum, and/or max damage combo for the applicable character.

To illustrate with an example, consider the following Brad combo:

[3][3][P] -> [P][6][P][K]
    Damage: 52 pts
    Characters: Wolf, Jeffry

For this combo, only Wolf and Jeffry are listed, however, this combo works for all characters.

When I first created the Combo List database and populated it with the Black Book combos, I simply transcribed everything in literally. I didn't have time to test every combo for every character to determine an exhaustive character applicability list -- this is where I relied on the community for help.

So, is this a problem that the above combo is only listed against Wolf and Jeffry? In my opinion, not really. Actually, I find this helpful because it serves as pretty effective visual aid when I'm browsing the list and only looking for combos against Heavy Weights.

But from a completeness point of view, I agree that it is lacking in that a blank cell could mean either the combo works (but is not recommended), or the combo doesn't work at all. Coming up with "blank = not applicable" was the best I could for the time until a better solution is found.

4. Eternal

Eternal Member

Ok thanks guys