1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

COMMUNITY PROJECT: Aoi Guide

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by Leonard_McCoy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Farpenoodle

Farpenoodle Well-Known Member

I usually do the same. One of the nice things about 66P is that on block it's the perfect distance to set up 44P+K. But naturally you don't want to abuse this since 44P+K is unsafe.

2. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

I think you missed it, Panther... we're talking about wall combos. The point is 4K+G can cause a wall stagger, but if your opponent's back is to a wall, there doesn't seem to be any reason to use it. It's slower, less damaging, and has less range than 66P. I think vs. lightweights, BT P+KP4PP might combo after a 4K+G stagger.. but even that isn't really good damage compared to the combos on the previous page.

3. CarolinaPanther

CarolinaPanther Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Nomas_Tomas
    My mistake Sorias. I didn't read the whole story and had just assumed it was open-space situation. Wall situations from my experience tend to be a little tricky. Guess it's the ol' Dojo for me then.

4. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Well, against low rising attack, it does whiff since /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is high lol but if it does, it still evades magically the low sweep /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif , and the second attack of the string will hit him. Or just cancel it and low throw him during his whiff recovery.

Mix this with dash /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cancel to end BT on his back.
    Just some ways to look flashy with Aoi /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
    anyway it's nice to share and discuss some Aoi stratz, this forom usually hasn't much activity lol
    Where are the others ??? DaBadseed ? mattcruea ? Subbers ???? WHERE ARE YOUUUUU ???? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

5. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

I think I finally found a good "noob killer" string, based on experimenting with some of the moves in this thread.

3_9P+KP > 66P > 66 > 64P+G > 2KP > 3P+G

The first hit evades linears from the opening of a match, and if someone opens with a backdash or evade, the followup P will often still catch them. That P knocks back out range and gives just enough frame advantage that 66P will counterhit any move 11 frames or slower, and people assume they're safe because they just got knocked back, so they rarely try to block it. The forward dash makes people think you're doing 66P again, so they block, allowing the throw to land. After the throw it's all pretty tacky, and not too hard to break, but as I said, it's mostly for use against noobs that miss quick recovery attempts.

Obviously there is no combo here at any point, and by far the most unsafe spot is being left at -12 on block if 3_9P+KP gets blocked. If your opponent doesn't punish that particular weakness, though, you can usually just slightly modify the attack sequence and keep using it in multiple rounds. Once someone blocks the first 66P, for example, just take it out and immediately dash forward into throw. Or if someone learns to quick recover after the throw, and you can delay the 2K and usually still hit, because people often quick rise into standing guard.

The whole thing does 146 damage (more with counter hits, which aren't uncommon)(if you use the strongest 3-part throw variant instead of 64P+G, it can do over 160), and seems to rip through the random kyu challengers I face online like some sort of chainsaw. And, unlike all of my other random "noob killer" non-guaranteed strings, I've actually successfully hit some fairly skilled opponents with this entire sequence, since the first three hits are all completely valid mind games.

Thoughts? Improvements? Anyone else have some alternate high damage strings that are easy to abuse, and don't completely fall apart as soon as a good player has seen the string once?

6. ThatDarnMoose

ThatDarnMoose Member

3_9P+KP? Is that a secret code for triple tapping 3? I could never throw that out from neutral if the opponent is playing agressively. Then again I've seen japanese players throw it out like free candy somehow, dextrous buggers.

7. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

3_9 is secret code for "3 or 9", so what I mean is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, it's the same move, just different evade direction.

Note: you'll also occasionally see _ used for hold... so /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can be abbreviated as 2_3P+K... but I think that's a different notation system, I'm honestly not really sure what the difference is.

8. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Wow I just test the PPP on a facing opponent who has his back to the wall.. and it really works, the whole /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif string is guaranteed if the third /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is a wall hit ( it doesn't even need to stagger ) . Long time ago I have seen Pai matches where she can get her whole /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif string free against a wall after her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throw, I didn't imagine Aoi could do the same thing. But IMO, it's very difficult to get the right distance, I have more success getting /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif wall stagger on a side turned opponent.

A simple /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can also causes a wall stagger on a side turned opponent.

Also, the first hit of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif staggers the ennemy if his back is sticked to the wall, so that the second kick sends him flying to the wall, and you get a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif wall combo + pounce.

As for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif what causes a "high wall splat", you can do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for max damage.

9. HamalSharatan

HamalSharatan Active Member

Greetings. I a new Aoi player and thought this super guide would be a great idea. When can we expect to see it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

10. Subbers

Subbers Active Member

Hey, about Aoi and the wall: if I land /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif I'm going to go straight into /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. This can be staggered out of, but you've got to be very fast about it. In Dojo it lands on normal stagger recovery and doesn't land on Fastest. From there, refloat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (right when they hit their knees) into /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. This gets them nice and high up on the wall: you don't have enough time for another attack, but as far as I can tell the ground throw attempt is guaranteed. If you land that, the string is 104 damage.

11. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

I tried what Subbers posted
    Yet for some reason the ground throw can be tech rolled on counter hit but not on normal hit.

An alternative: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif hit on wall, enemy staggered. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. 79 damage on normal hit, 91 on CH
    Will connect on normal stagger recovery, can be guarded against (I think, can't get the A.I to do it) on fastest recovery.

12. half_lotus

half_lotus Member

Some great info in this thread. 7th Dan Aoi here - plan to get a Hori stick soon to step up my game.

Lately I've been punishing high strings with:

Evade, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (stagger), /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

Seems like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is a 'long' stagger? Is this correct? I was killing 7th and 8th Dans with it, but an Enforcer wiggled out once before the hit. A great stagger for throw mixups.

My new show-off dance is:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif (BT), /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (tenchi), /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif(BT again), /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

There are stronger BT options for Aoi, but this one looks really nice. =] The ending /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can be mixed up with throws nicely.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif doesn't get enough credit imo; its a great move. Only -4 on block, half-circular, evades linears, and quite long range. First and second (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) hits are /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cancel-able. And second hit (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) is Mid.

13. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

"Aoi Umenokouji for Dummies" anyone? How are you going to publish it exactly? Website? Book?

14. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

@Half lotus /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is a decent deep stagger. if you put the cpu at normal stagger recovery you can still connect /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif & /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif If you buffer the follow up fast enough. if you see your opponents suck at stagger recovery though go for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (only go for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif if you hit the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif at long range) followed by /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif 74 dmg, 82 on ch and will carry the enemy far
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif = 62dmg & 70 on ch
    Special high and only -4 on block, got to love that move.

15. kingo

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    My problem with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is that is high, and the move isn't as evasive as Shun's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for example, or Lion's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif . It seems to evades a few specific moves, during specific situation, etc, I think I prefer OM lol

When we are at this topic, anyone know that type of attack is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif ? I have play a random Aoi who spammed this move, and I found out that it can't be parryied, and Shun's "magical-sabaki -everything" can't deflect it too! It would be a good anti-clash move is it was a little safer...

About BT option, I only use BT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and the BT evade

16. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I think that it's more than time for an Aoi blog or community page where all information about Aoi come together.

17. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

it's a - class according to the command li... erh what?
    So i'm playing around with it now, ying yang stance can't reverse it... which is... Odd.
    but now after putting my mother on the player 2 controls (lol) I have figured out it is infact a double limbed kick. Yeah... wierd but true. Aoi can reverse everything for damage 'cept for double limbed kicks, then she will just side step.

18. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Ooh, interesting find about 4K+G.

I agree about 3P+K... amazing move. Kingo is right that the evade property lacks slighty, but it's definitely good as long as you know when to use it. Using it against mid rising kicks, is especially awesome, and it often looks like it shouldn't work, but it does.

Personally, out of BT, I really, really like the P+KPP and P+KP4PP strings. They get used so rarely that most people don't know how to respond them. One trick I've found that works great. Go into tenchi right as someone hits the ground... cancel tenchi into BT, which will move you just outside of rising kick range, and then use BT P+KPP. The final P launches on counter hit, and the range and speed of the whole string is just right to whiff the first two attacks during your opponent's rising kick recovery, and you get back into range to land the final hit, right as their rising attack recovery ends... free combo against anyone stupid enough to try and attack to punish your whiffs. Plus, it's +3 on guard.

19. half_lotus

half_lotus Member

I plan on pulling together a VFDC collection of Aoi info in the next couple weeks, so keep the tips coming. I'll combine stuff in this thread with the other good ones (top 15 aoi moves, aoi strats, etc.) It will likely be a lengthy multi-section guide. My Aoi love runs deep.

Love your vids Kingo! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    If one of you would kindly volunteer, then I'll give you access to the Wiki to maintain Aoi's content?