1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Concensus on hold d/f+p, f+p (knife hand, palm)

Discussion in 'Lau' started by ThePrince, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ThePrince

ThePrince Well-Known Member

I see that the palm is not even special high so what's the point in it. I know if it connects you get a slam and p,b+p,p connects, but it's not a mix up that can work when you consider his other options.

It should be special high since good players lp when they expect a hold d/f+p,p.

What are your thoughts?

2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    LOL.

It kicks ass as is.

3. ThePrince

I think it looks great, but how do you use it? Care to elaborate on "LOL. It kicks ass as is."?

4. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

It's guaranteed on minor counter.

5. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Which means it's pretty much only useful after evades, no? There aren't many -17 or worse moves in the game.

6. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I'm not a Lau expert (or an expert at anything VF for that matter) but the move is useful for me in at least this scenario:

After an opponent whiffs a throw or a high attack that leaves the opponent at something between -12 and -15 (unless you're really fast and can buffer 46P). If Lau is crouching and within range 2_3P6P will connect on a mC and will net you guaranteed damage.
    I'm not good at buffering this move on the stick but if I could pull this move off at least 8 out of 10 times, I would use it a lot more.

There's a lot of other things you could go for in that scenario but a throw can be escaped and with Knife Hand/Palm you can net guaranteed damage.
    But what do I know? *shrugs*

7. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Yeah, whiffed throws / big moves, similar situation to evading a move.

Basically just saying it doesn't seem useful on block unlike say 46P.

8. ThePrince

That's exactly the response I needed guys thanks for the feedback.

The most useful bit of information for me was that the palm is guaranteed if the knife hits on minor counter.I wonder how I'd be able to hit confirm a minor counter...

Of course it would be nice if it'd be guaranteed after a normal hit :p

The reason I wasn't sure about the usefulness of it was because I could only think about using it by doing the knife and delaying the palm to get a counter hit on the palm if opponent tried to interrupt (most probably a lp).

9. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

If your opponents are always going for low punch after upknife then go ahead and use the risky P+K follow-up to blast their arses to the orbit. Or pull of an immediate u+P or u+K+G or something. Teaches them not to stick their hand in the wrong place.

Minor counter is pretty easy to confirm by seeing the opponent whiff /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It's good if you CD under opponents high move from a medium distance,

evade something with a bit of recovery (more damage than b,f+P),

backdash something (you can just try a backdash from medium distance against over aggressive / careless opponents, most obvious example would be the start of a round)and CD in after whiff (very rare to succeed in this due to upknifes mediocre range, but it can be done some short range elbows for example) or
    if you just happen to crouch a high move for some reason (careless use of obvious strings like another Lau f+P,P or trying crouch block against Sarahs flamingo).

I don't use / get to use the move all that often, really, but it certainly has it's place when time arises.

10. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

Way Late, but...

Man, I haven't been here in a long time. It was special high back in VF 3. That was awesome. Now it's not that useful except against Sebo, who I have heard has never beaten a Lau player in his life.

Ok, it's not totally useless. It does still float on MC. It does go into p, 4p backturned options. I do not find the 6p follow up very useful. Yeah you can use it after dodge, but when you do you might actually hit them with an MC and then float them and it sucks to see your combo end with a midair 6p follow up. And the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif followup works on mc sometimes anyway (if you are on the person's side), so I don't think dodge--> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is a very good option...

You can delay the p+k followup and it will hit sometimes on some players, probably works great against Sebo.

The most annoying thing about /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is that you get it when you want /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. I do not know why that is. Jeff has the same commands (his uppercut and his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) and you never get one when you want the other. Weird.

11. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    Re: Way Late, but...

im not a lau player but, if it that move is guaranteed on CH u can hitcheck. Kamanari taught me this and how to hitcheck. When its a regular hit the character will flash white... If u get a CH it will turn yellow.. when it turns blue i think its MCm, or it indicates a back hit ( not sure about the blue). hit checking with looking at the colors is easier than listening to the sound, cus normal hit and CH attack makes a different noise.

12. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

I would not try and base too much of your game around this move for a number of reasons. The biggest one is that it sucks to dodge and do this move thinking it's mc when it's really MC and you waste a good float. And reallafter a dodge is when it's most likly to connect as mc, but only when someone whiffs a single slw recovering move.

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's used primarily in situations where the opponent goes for a canned follow-up in a string that hits high.

For example...against Lau's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif you usually duck after the first elbow in anticipation of getting the second hit to whiff. If the opposing Lau goes for it, that's when you then you use the knife for a guaranteed knockdown combo.

14. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

You can use it after his [4][2][P][+][G] throw for a few extra points of damage. Not as quick as the palm, but pretty guaranteed against people who aren't great at staggering. I guess that means that the [6][P] part is guaranteed if the first part hits a staggered opponent too.

15. Azusabo

Azusabo Well-Known Member

After [4][2][P][+][G], palm isn't guaranteed in VF5, but it was a guaranteed followup in VF4. In VF5 you can't land the 23p, 6p after [4][2][P][+][G] as it's not fast enough and can get guarded. After [4][2][P][+][G] you can use p,4p,p and the entire string is guaranteed if you land the p.

16. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

Well I did say it was for people who aren't good at staggering. I land it on people online all day. Not many players can stagger that throw on reaction fast enough to duck the 46p, let alone the extra 3 frames it takes to do 23p6p.

But thats a sweet tip about p4pp. I'll start using that against people who can duck the 46p. Thanks