1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Dead or Alive 5 Announced for 2012! PS3 and Xbox

Discussion in 'General' started by Brisal73, Jan 8, 2010.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Re: Dead or Alive 5 coming

[​IMG]

After finally getting my online pass for Ninja Gaiden 3 and useable download code for DOA5 I finally got a chance to play DOA.

DOA has one foot in the VF world and one foot in the Tekken world. The excitement that VF lacks appears to be present in DOA. The cleaness and clear headed fighting that Tekken lacks appears to be in DOA.

So my guess is DOA will keep its place, not as deep as VF, but deeper than Tekken, not as exciting as Tekken, but more exciting than VF :D, and depending on the online lobby, etc. that will say whether it is better than SC 5. So right now

VF5FS > SC5 >= DOA5 > Tekken6

With all of the above games providing very deep gameplay for advanced players. The above >, >= ranking refers to the completeness of the fighting system and is not meant to comment on popularity, sales, or the fun metric of the games.

2. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Po

If you can, can you write us a nice detailed post about the demo?

I have a few questions to start you off:

Stuns. I hate them. I read that DOA5 has less stuns, or that not as many attacks leave you in a deep stunned status. Can you confirm? What I dont like is this: Getting stunned by a blow (say a Mid P) and then having no other option but guess the following strike. I would prefere either to eat a combo or just flop on the ground, but not getting restunned over and over.

Can you struggle and guard out of stuns?

Is the game so fast that all you can do is hold?

Are the canned combos reasonable? I dont like mid to low to mid sequences that stuns you even when guarding.

Are there attacks that leave you positive frames on guard?

Are 4 frames throws too fast or it doesn not really matter?

3. Uncle_Kitchener

Uncle_Kitchener Well-Known Member

PSN:
    UncleKitchener

It's aaight, Po. I don't blame you for being bad at Tekken [​IMG]

Some people just can't juggle more than two balls.

4. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83

Played the demo just now had to come off to post up my thoughts:

Feels and plays very much like the older DOA games still fast but the power blows slow the pace down a little.

Easy to be destroyed by a small combo that leads into you falling off a cliff hitting a car smashing into something else etc.

Characters look amazing animations and smooth and fluid throughout

Overall I'm looking forward to it more now that I've got my hands on it.

5. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

Tengu I know,its hard to read my walls of text sometimes. But if you look at my post above, I say that tekken is very deep, once you learn enough to be intermediate to advanced [​IMG] Tekken is deep, its fun, its certainly more exciting than VF at the cosmetic level.

@Matteo Since I have only have the demo and no one at the moment play but the computer, I can't answer the stun question, certainly the computer has not been able to stun me. And the game play is not fast to me. It does feel very much like the old DOA except for the power punches, which kind of changes the pace a bit. Just like SC5's super punch has a special animation, DOA's animation is slowed down a little to emphasize the power punch. I don't think I can change the difficulty on the game, I"ll have to check to make sure, but I was able to mash, mash, mash, and destroy the computer. I use genfu. I know nothing about the movesets of Hiyata or Hyabusa, So I'was just mashing.

6. MAtteoJHDY

Po

I read that the more you play the demo the harder it gets. try not to select a new fighter and see if after a while they start reacting better!

7. SoulKatana

SoulKatana Well-Known Member

MORE Virtua Fighters in DOA5??
    I just found that unconfirmed list on gamefront.de.
    This Names are found in the Source Code from the DOA5 demo.

(UNCONFIRMED) Fighter Roster Dead or Alive 5?
    Pai (from Virtua Fighter)
    Sarah (from Virtua Fighter)
    Akira (from Virtua Fighter)
    Mila
    Rig
    Bayman
    Hitomi
    Christie
    Brad <--??
    Lisa
    Eliot
    Ayane
    Leifang
    Hayate
    Kokoro
    Bass
    Leon
    Helena
    Genfu
    Kasumi
    Hayabusa
    Jannlee
    Tina
    Zack
    Alpha152

gamefront.de (link)

gamefront.de (main page/german)

PLEASE let that be true...

8. def

def Well-Known Member

This was already posted as well as the stages.

9. SoulKatana

SoulKatana Well-Known Member

argh.. sorry guys...
    it was posted 2day at my fav. german game news page...

10. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

Read Where? could you include link?

I don't want to have that ("its brand new bias")
    often ppl think they like something better, only because its newer.

I admit it looks FN gorgeous and exciting. If it has a nice spectator mode, and online features, replay mode, etc. Its probably gonna kick VF's ass...

11. Dragonps

Dragonps Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ENGDragon83
    XBL:
    ENGDragon83

Posted some demo match's on my youtube www.youtube.com/dragonps sorry I didn't post individual links in a rush hope thats ok [​IMG]

12. MAtteoJHDY

Found this turnament level vid, I think the game plays more or less as we all expected, its DOA alright, but it could lead to interesting gameplay in the final version. I like it already, but as usual DOA is great to watch and not so great to play. If they can really sort out the system it will be awesome...it would be good to have FS and this to play.

13. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

I did find where you could turn off the special hit effects under options. And you can turn off the danger zones.

The danger zones kind of remind me of the environment in DEF Jam Icon, that could also inflict damage on the fighter. Doa 5
    will apparently let you turn that off.

The more I play it, the more I like it. Its definitely going to move Tekken off my system perhaps for good. It can't replace SC5 because of the whole weapons thing. But it does a much better job at tekken than tekken does LOL.

14. MAtteoJHDY

15. Genesis

Genesis Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Genesis Malakh

I think the stage destruction is a bit excessive, but then, it is DoA...

16. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

The DOA graphic is awesome! And it's interesting to watch I have to say. I don't understand DOA at all and it looks like a 3D MK without fireball stuffs.

Looking forward to see more VF characters to jump in. As long as newbie would give it a shout, then DOA wins.

17. MAtteoJHDY

I have been reading the boards over at freestepdodge and they have a demo feedback thread set up,

Needless to say, there is a war going on about what to change to make the game competitive while retaining the doa feeling. Many players felt betrayed by tecmo for DOA4's lack of a solid system.

I must say, I do sincerely hope they remove the stupid stuns and rework the holds. But even if they dont, maybe there is a chance the game will still be good.

Sega, hurry up with FS, I just cant wait.

18. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

You can turn off the danger zones in DOA. So It looks like the stage destruction is optional.

@Dennis0201

No my friend is not a MK without fireball stuffs, is more like a Virtua Fighter with an edge. Its the closest Fighting game to VF. It doesn't offer as many offensive choices and defensive choices as VF which means the fighting system for VF is simply bigger. But does have a cool factor that VF simply doesn't have. It feels more exciting to play DOA, because the stages are more seductive and have a more risky and dangerous feel to them. DOA has more excitement in the character's costumes. Our beloved VF is a little on the boring side, the stages are harmless, our characters all look like good guys, although Goh and Lau look a little suspect, but they all look like they're on the same team. DOA is another story, you can tell DOA has criminals, assholes, and good guys in the lineup. That's what makes it more exciting than VF. That's why Tekken wins in the minds of so many players because it clearly has good guys, ass holes and bad guys, and you can choose.

VF although a big deep fighting system, has beautiful, but boring stages, awesome fighting styles but harmless characters.

There are really no naughty characters in VF. Vanessa is almost a bad girl, Goh is more just misunderstood than actually criminal, Jeffrey's bark is really more harmless than his bite, yep VF's roster are basically good guys with attitudes [​IMG]

19. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I for one really have liked VF's stages and like the minimalist artistic approach. This is not to say the more varied and intricate backgrounds found in Tekken and DoA aren't good, it's just not what I want all the time. I feel like in a VF game such a background would not fit for the series. That said I'm really interested in seeing how Pai, Sarah, and Akira are going to look and what the alternate costume options they'll have. This is a really exciting time to be a VF player.

20. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Awww, look at poor Po. He's so upset that none of us took the bait when he was calling VF players elitists in the SC5 thread when everyone in there was playing and enjoying it, now he's had to resort to calling VF boring compared to DoA fifteen times in one post!

I kid Po, it would be nice if you could elaborate on this a little more though?

Apart from the controls I don't see much of a resemblance at all, I can think of other games that feel closer to VF than DoA does.