1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive/Offensive moves frames input Breakdown

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Cnul, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

Since i fail often my defensive move and my offensive move i have decide to go in training mode to figure out what's going on ^^

Before starting talk about frame, i will describre the input display mode

Number on the left is only about the neutral input. That means when you decide to don't touch your pad. Input on the right is about when you choose to input something

[​IMG]

You read this up to down and left to right. This screenshot tell that i have input [8] during 4 frames after that (next line) i choose to stay neutral during 56 frames and after that i unputed [8] during 8 frames. After that i go neutral during 86 frames and inputed [2] during 8 frames etc.

Now during this topic only the last two lines are important. In fact my last two choices to be exact. Let's go ^^

To do an up evade you have to input up and go neutral. Normal. The evade is validate only after you go neutral.

Here is an exemple when i hold [8] during 4 frames and go neutral after that. When i take the screenshot it was 10 frames that i was in neutral just to show you Jean doing the move.
    [​IMG]

Here is an example when i hold [8] during 8 frames. I still got an evade
    [​IMG]

Now i hold [8] during 9 frames and Jean do nothing though i wait 10 frames in neutral before taking the screenshot
    [​IMG]

Conclusion : You can hold [8] from 1f~8f and go neutral after to get an evade. But if you hold [8] 9 frames or more you cannot do an evade

What about evade toward the screen ? [2] input

With this next example i do an evade toward the screen and i hold during 5 frames
    [​IMG]

Here i hold [2] 7frames and i still have an evade
    [​IMG]

Now i hold [2] during 8 frames and Jean start to crouch instead of doing an evade. Notice that i choose to take the screenshot only 2 frames after i get neutral just to show you the crouch position. After 10 frames of neutral Jean stay in place without doing an evade
    [​IMG]

Conclusion :

Now for the down evade it's different, you can hold [2] from 1f~7f and go neutral
    If you hold [2] until 8f and go neutral after your character will start to crouch and no evade for you. So evade toward the screen are more "harder" that toward the background. You have 1 more frame

Next post will be about an "exception" to this rule and also about offensive moves ^^

Infohigh likes this.
  2. Sashaz

Sashaz Well-Known Member

That must have taken quite a while to post with screen shots. Thanks

3. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Great thread and awesome post, Cnul [​IMG]
    I can't wait to see your findings on OM.

4. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Nice to see people using the training mode to work stuff out.

5. Zass

Zass Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Zass30
    Really great post! Thank you!

6. Cla

Cla Well-Known Member

Thanks for discovering and reporting this. Looking forward to seeing what you discover regarding Offensive Movement.

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Cnul, great work and thanks for sharing your findings with us! [​IMG]

How did you set up each evade scenario? Were you always evading from a neutral siutation?

And as for the conclusion, while it's interesting to know that the up or down input requirement for an evade differs by 1 frame, do you see any practical application of this knowledge? Is evading down really that much "harder" than evading up? [​IMG]

8. KarnF91

KarnF91 Active Member

Interesting findings here. Personally I find that my down evades fail more than my up evades.

9. Cnul

Cnul Well-Known Member

Hi sorry for the delay. I was a little busy + i was trying to learn more on the game too.

To answer you Myke, i do the evades only in neutral position. But since you point that it could be very/more interesting to test in normal situation so with the buffer after a move or during blockstun !

Now the down evade is more strict that the up evade. I will show why.

Randomly i did this [8] [7] [8] when i was trying to do an evade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the last screenshot i control Eileen (sorry)

What's going on on those screenshots ?
    I can hold any direction, start walking and still get an up evade if my last input is [8] (with the holding restrictions)

This information is important if you think you have to go neutral if you was walking before ( 8 way run). You don't need.

The last screenshot also "show" that you can buffer an evade more easily by holding [7] or [9] (during a recovery or blockstun) and just go to [8] and go neutral after.
    Notice that in doing this i manage to "score" a one frame holding. People who fear to mess up with the evade in holding too long can use this method. Of course in neutral play it's not very useful.

But when i tried to do this for a down evade, it's not working [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jean is crouching an do no evade after.

[​IMG]
    Here Eileen do nothing. Just before she was walking (8 way run)

So for down evade, you are forced to go neutral before attempting to do an evade. If you messup and get [2] [1] 2: or [1] [2] or [3] [2], you are not allowed to do an evade anymore.

Why it's important ? People who play on pad can messup with the input for example. If your thumb slide on [1] after you inputed [2] (just before you go neutral), it's over

But Stick players can have a problem too. It's about the holding stuff. If you input a direction and try to go "full up" or "full down", you risk to hold the direction 8 frames most of the time. So if you wait to hit/feel the square/octogonal gate of your stick, you are holding too much the direction and that's why you can fail the evade. Pad player don't have those sort of problem since they don't "feel the need" to wait too long to go neutral.

Doing an evade is like doing a hop jump in King Of Fighters. It's really not the same feeling that in Soul Calibur V

Now about Offensive moves.
    What we know is we have to do an evade and after that input P+K+G

Here it's working. I just need to go neutral during one frame
    [​IMG]

Of course it's the same for a down offensive move
    [​IMG]

Still working if i wait 7 frames after the neutral input
    [​IMG]

Still working if wait 11 frames after the neutral input
    [​IMG]

Finally not working after 12 frames. Notice i still get an evade of course.
    [​IMG]

Conclusion you can wait till 11 frames during a evade to validate the offensive move.
    I think and hope it's work the same with the down evade ^^;;

Now some examples of failed offensive move

Here my error is i input P+K+G but i still holding [8] at this moment so i get a jump attack. I released [8] too late. One frame too late ?
    [​IMG]

Now what happen if i release [8] one frame before ?
    Here i get an evade instead of an offensive move. I released [8] before hitting P+K+G but it's not enough, you really have to go "full" neutral before
    [​IMG]

Conclusion if you are too fast you can fail the offensive move

Hope those informations can help people who have trouble with those movements ^^

PS : I have the same type of information about crouch dash (frames/Screenshots). Crouch dash are not working like regular dash. They are more easy to do

Infohigh likes this.
  10. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmm, really didnt have a problem with evading to this extent.

unless we are talking about buffering evades after a block stun where it's difficult to tell exactly when you are recovered to netural.

or say like wall staggers, or stagger recoveries -

but good lab work to you sir, i must say