1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Designing a mobile/micro console fighter game.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sargon, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Sargon

Sargon Member

I made a game called Concussion Boxing for mobile and micro consoles but it was really lacking gameplay wise.
    The issue was that it was really slow and there wern't many combos that made sense.

I am trying to make a new fighter game for mobile and micro consoles.

I have a few questions about the game design.
    First of all, I am thinking of making it more street fighter like.
    The fighters' attacks would be really quick and probably long range or sending them flying in the air.
    The controls I thought about are: left, right, crouch, punch, kick, jump.
    Walking back would be your defense like in street fighter.
    Does this sound right controls wise?
    Remember this is going to be on mobile with touch controls.

Another issue I am having is that the nature of the game will have characters from all sort of styles.
    So you might have a regular boxer, and then a more cartoony like character that might be almost half as tall.
    How do you make a fighter game with characters that are of varying heights?

I didn't mention but this game is going to be 3D although the gameplay might be 2D although there will be movement in the ring, maybe similar to Virtua Fighter.
    Should I make the collision detection 2D or should it be 3D?
    For most part 2D would be enough, no?
    Just align the 2D collision checks to the axis between the two fighters.

Currently I am thinking the game will have 4 characters and 4 locations.

Do you have any other tips I need to think of before making this kind of fighter game and before I commission for art assets?

Edit: By the way, good article I have read:
    http://www.flarkminator.com/2011/05...n-combat-design-an-interactive-visualization/

I think that Virtua Fighter(1) have a few Cancel moves. Like a chain of punches and round kick.
    But this article suggests the as a rule of thumb link moves are better for fighter games?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    3d fighter on 2d plane? vf2 sort of played this way, but you can roll forward or back into Y axis on knock down. Vf2 would be a good source of inspiration, it's simple yet has underlying depth.

3 button control scheme would be perfect for mobile devices, 3 buttons on a touch screen much better than 4-6

Ellis likes this.
  3. Sargon

Sargon Member

Thanks yea, I got VF2 on my XBOX 360 so I play it every time I want to learn how they did it there.

4. Sargon

Sargon Member

Progress, here is a video with a character. It walks, crouch and sort of jump.
    I mostly tested the camera movement.
    I am not sure how to make the camera, I tried to add delayed tracking but then what would happen is when you walk the camera angle is lagging and it would rotate every time you start and end walking. It looks nice but also too distracting.
    So here I have the basic camera, just moving to the target position with linear veolocity.

How do you suggest I should implement the camera or does this look fine?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014