1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Brad is hard to use?

Discussion in 'Brad' started by X_itz_raphael_X, Aug 11, 2005.

1. im just curious if alot of people find brad to have a tough learning curve..so yea .. he's my favorite character as of now also , besides brad not having to many low attacks what else is his weakness???

2. SamusAran

SamusAran Member

He is my new favorite too. And I don't know why people say he is so difficult. I practice with him a lot in Free Training, with the AI set to level 5 and with random recovery, rising attacks, blah blah blah. Believe me it helped. and other than the low attack thing I think he's quite well-rounded. not too powerful, but he can hit pretty hard and has some interesting options. Also he is hot. Nuff said.

3. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

After playing with him one thing I found a bit of a challenge for me was to keep up with the foot positions because his moves constantly keep changing his foot positions.

Other than that, I think he has great flow capabilities and has great combo abilities. Use the search and look up Brad for some documents for more info.

4. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SamusAran said:

I practice with him a lot in Free Training, with the AI set to level 5 and with random recovery, rising attacks, blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a flame.

Practice mode AI (even on level five and all the other stuff) is NOT very good and, as a result, being successful against practice mode AI is not a good indicator of one's skill.

4 Evo does have one of the best AIs of all fighting games, and they can be found on the latesr stages of Arcade mode as well as in the final Arcade in Quest mode.

And as AkiraPH said, there are some pretty good discussions about Brad on this site, check them out.

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

If you can see stance, Brad is easy to use, but difficult to win with.

6. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

Brad's stances don't change too many times... If you play with him constantly, you'll learn to watch his foot position automatically before long. His combos are pretty effective too, thinking of [6][6][K] /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. It can deal loads of damage even if you've heavier characters than lightweights against you. His weakness is truly his lack of low attacks. [2][P] is truly his only crouching low attack. Nonetheless, his slippings can be used in a very confusing way. You can throw before slipping or just slip again or just simply hit.

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Ryadus said:

Brad's stances don't change too many times... If you play with him constantly, you'll learn to watch his foot position automatically before long. His combos are pretty effective too, thinking of [6][6][K] /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. It can deal loads of damage even if you've heavier characters than lightweights against you. His weakness is truly his lack of low attacks. [2][P] is truly his only crouching low attack. Nonetheless, his slippings can be used in a very confusing way. You can throw before slipping or just slip again or just simply hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget:
    [1]+[K]
    [2][K]+[G]
    [2][K](when back turned against enemy)
    also

im having trouble doing moves that start with [3][3] not with BRad but iwth other characters... any tips?

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

... practice, it's an essential command.

Although, I can do the [3][3] motion with ease, but no so much the [1][1] (Just awkward for the thumb), but it doesn't matter, because you can buffer either way!

9. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    X_itz_raphael_X said:
    don't forget:
    [1]+[K]
    [2][K]+[G]

[/ QUOTE ]
    None of those lows crouch.

10. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [2][P] is truly his only crouching low attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

and it's special low...so only true, sorta.

11. [ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:

[ QUOTE ]
    X_itz_raphael_X said:
    don't forget:
    [1]+[K]
    [2][K]+[G]

[/ QUOTE ]
    None of those lows crouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yea huh.. my bad

12. SamusAran

SamusAran Member

Stone Cold: yeah, the AI in practice mode is pretty crappy, but it's just a place to mess around with new strategies and stuff like that. I use it for Aoi a lot to recognize moves for reversals. But I know you weren't flaming me, so I'm just telling you what I think. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I feel bad but I have been neglecting Brad for Aoi lately... :meh:

13. damn man, warriors and other higher ranked opponents are really giving me a hard time, they always seem to parry my atacks its just so annoying..

14. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

No i dont think brad is hard to use, he's like any other character it requires practice to become good with him.

15. YuuKun

YuuKun Well-Known Member

I played around with most characters and Brad is the only one I have to pay more attention to his "open' or close" footing, for combo sake and taking the advantages of slipping attacks.
    Best to judge his footing by yours and opponent's back, or fist facing in or out. Any other way to track open or close footing?

16. Ryadus

Ryadus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryadus said:

Brad's stances don't change too many times... If you play with him constantly, you'll learn to watch his foot position automatically before long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup yup, this still holds true. Just play with me all the time and you will learn to watch his foot position correctly without even thinking of it.

17. Allyourbase

Allyourbase Well-Known Member

It kind of helps to know and internalize which moves change foot position and which don't. I wish I could give you a list, but I don't know which does what all too well either.

18. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I find it strange, that Brad uses Thai kickboxing, but he lacks lots of low kick attacks.:confused:

19. JKTwice

JKTwice Well-Known Member

The only unique move you need to win with Brad is [6][P][K]. CH confirmable string and elbow isn't really that unsafe. If you employ good defense and solid use of [P] and [2][P] you will be fine

@beanboy [1][K][K] is Brad's only real low string (it's a low-high though) however on launch you get a combo which is ridiculous. Just gotta be careful since the first part is -14 and Brad is still standing. It's a real weakness of his that he doesn't really have many moves that end with him crouching, they only slip under highs during the attack itself (like [3][P][+][K][P] or [2_][3][P]). So if he makes a risky read and fails he's gonna get hit pretty hard.

Overall Brad isn't hard. Stances make him seem complicated but when you think of him as a stripped down Jacky you'll realize that his excellent combo starts will carry you far against 90% of players. The remaining 10% who will punish don't even play 4 anymore.

VanguardBronze likes this.