1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

EVO2K3 Fighting Game Championship

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 2, 2003.

By Myke on May 2, 2003 at 1:24 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    VFDC EVO2003 Mirror
    <font color="yellow">Going to EVO2003?</font> Let us know!

<font color="orange">ANNOUNCEMENT:</font> VF Japanese Players confirmed so far<font color="white">
    <ul type="square">[*]Chibita
    [*]OhNuki
    [*]Ohsu Akira
    [*]Neo Tower
    [*]Kofu Megane[/list]</font>

The biggest fighting game competition in the US, is back and bigger than ever in 2003. This year Shoryuken.com tripled the number of games in the tournament. With competitions for all of today's most popular fighters, Evolution is the one tournament that you can't miss!

<font color="orange">Date and Location</font>
    August 8-10, 2003
    California Polytechnic State University
    3801 W. Temple Avenue
    Pomona, California

<font color="orange">Nine Tournament Games:</font>
    <ul type="square">[*]Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
    [*]Capcom Vs. SNK 2
    [*]Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
    [*]Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo[/list]
    All presented by Shoryuken.com

And the finally the newcomers...

<ul type="square">[*]<font color="yellow">Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution</font> - presented by VirtuaFighter.com
    [*]Soul Calibur II - presented by GuardImpact.com
    [*]Tekken 4 - presented by Tekken Zaibatsu
    [*]Tekken Tag - presented by Tekken Zaibatsu
    [*]Guilty Gear XX - presented by GameCombos.com[/list]

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution tournament information will be available soon. Visit Shoryuken.com for additional information, and download the hot trailer too!

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 2, 2003.

1. PhoenixDth
      PhoenixDth
      I just find it weird thats its being hosted at my school /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess i can bunk a couple people at my house. I only live 5 minutes from the tournament site, I could walk there if i tried -_-;;

hmm couple of things to mention, wont this collide with EC5?
    2. martialfanatic
      martialfanatic
      /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
    3. supergolden
      supergolden
      this is huge

i'm there
    4. Namflow
      Namflow
      Re: this is huge

Myke, no fair, I looked under Jamboree for the tournament, didn't see anything and posted, but it was here under news! /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Haha anyways yea, I'm sooo there. I remember reading about the B4s and B5s back in the day, and to go and represent VF4 on the national stage, the biggest fighting game tournament in North America, wil be awesome.
    5. YuuKun
      YuuKun
      this is one thing i would love to live in US or JPN, tournaments!!! i'm in UK (london) and we hardly get tournaments. we used to have KOF series, SF2, tekken, and VF tourney, but now it's dead, not many people plays in arcade anymore, it's a shame.
    6. Plague
      Plague
      I'll be in Reno, Nevada till early Sunday morning (like 1 or 2 am). Not so great unless VF portion happens on Sunday.
    7. martialfanatic
      martialfanatic
      Dang man, sorry. Looks like you'll miss it. All games run simultaneously on Friday and Saturday. The final 8 for each game play on Sunday.

Myke, I read through the rules. No mention of stick type. Is it going to be Japanese style sticks or U.S style?
    8. Robyrt
      Robyrt
      Last year (evo2k2) there were US sticks used, but it didn't present much of a problem for most people (they're good sticks).

It's good to see Evo2k3 under the auspices of the Cannon brothers, who certainly know what they're doing, and have wisely decided not to handle everything themselves. (They've had problems enough just adding 3rd Strike on.)
    9. Hayai_JiJi
      Hayai_JiJi
      Tragic informed me it would be a bring your own stick type of deal.
    10. martialfanatic
      martialfanatic
      Is he certain? The rules mentioned specific rules for dealing with broken sticks, etc. Plus that would mean that it would be the PS2 version of Evo instead of the arcade version /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif.
    11. Oni-Kage
      Oni-Kage
      [ QUOTE ]
      Lonelyfighter said:

Tragic informed me it would be a bring your own stick type of deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet... that means Namflow and I can bring out d-pad Shuns to the event! Yahoo!
    12. replicant
      replicant
      Namflow will already be in Japan by the time Evo2k3 happens.
    13. stompoutloud
      stompoutloud
      if namflow is in japan, cosmic, I'll bring out my d-pad shun against you!
    14. Namflow
      Namflow
      Actually I'm not sure if I'm going to be in Japan by then or not, I don't have the exact dates from JET yet. So hopefully everything works out and I get to go to Evo2K3. Pad Power! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    15. tragic
      tragic
      The rules up there right now are basicaly cut-pasted from last years tournament (which didn't include console games). This year, since console games are in, it's pretty safe to say that you will be able to use your own controller. Console tournaments in the past have allowed people to use their own controller of choice and this one is no different. The only immediate stipulation right now is that there are no custom configurations for special buttons... such as P+K+G button, or P+K button etc.

ben
    16. replicant
      replicant
      Sorry Nam, I thought SuperG told me you would leave near the end of July. If you can go to Evo2k3 before you head, then rock on. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    17. ONISTOMPA
      ONISTOMPA
      [ QUOTE ]
      tragic said:
      The only immediate stipulation right now is that there are no custom configurations for special buttons... such as P+K+G button, or P+K button etc.
      ben

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks ! Might as well just use a stick. They've got to change that rule.
    18. replicant
      replicant
      Using custom configuration buttons (P+K, P+G,P+K+G, etc.) is lame. The game is 3 buttons and you should be allowed to set them up as you feel comfortable with, but no complex buttons.
    19. ONISTOMPA
      ONISTOMPA
      [ QUOTE ]
      replicant said:

Using custom configuration buttons (P+K, P+G,P+K+G, etc.) is lame.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Why is it lame ? It won't magically make the person who uses them a better player or give them an advantage since both players can customize however they see fit.