1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fairly new to VF, trying to grasp Eileen...

Discussion in 'Eileen' started by ElricOfGrans, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ElricOfGrans

ElricOfGrans Member

I have played fighting games for many years, but not many 3D ones. I feel I am getting the basics of VF5 (Xbox) quickly enough, but am having more difficulty with characters. Eileen was the first I tried (her style looked interesting), but I stopped using her as I felt she lacked juice. Few interesting options. In my limited experience, it seemed most of her options were horridly unsafe, so I stopped using them. I tried several other characters, who I felt all had more options, but none of them were half as fun as Eileen. I have decided to come back and try to learn her better. I have been playing Quest mode with her and am currently sitting at 8 Dan, but the AI is beginning to beat be more often than not. As it does not seem to me that the AI is `cheating', this suggests there are glaring weaknesses in my game.

One of my issues with Eileen was that her cancels seem to be a major part of her mix-up game, but they all seem very unsafe (they did not seem to combo, as I could hit the initial string, then get hit out of the cancel). Are they a whole lot of useless, or am I just using them wrong? I am not too sure how useful the Warikomi moves are. I just never used them: should I? I have also found that some of her move strings seem to not be NC (eg PPP2K --- I have been punished on the 2K after landing the PPP). Again, are these bad options, or am I using them wrong?

Looking over Eileen's move list, she seems to have very few moves with any interesting properties. This again makes me think that her game should be in the cancel attacks, which are all that seem to make her unique. Since her style is so `honest' (no little tricks hidden away), what is her basic game plan? The way I have been playing is making use of her fast ARM (one of my favourite parts of her) to roam the ring looking for a chance to pop in with a poke (eg PPP). If blocked, I try to move back a little again; if not, I try to capitalise with some pressure (eg PP6P, 46P).

2. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The are very few if any, "Useless" moves in VF. Warikomi moves are more for mind games though and that's something you can't do against the CPU.

Eileen has plenty of juice and one of the biggest complaints against the character is that she does too much damage for a little monkey girl!!

Have a look at Eileens combo listing and have a read of the excellent Virtua fighter Wiki system guide.

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions but for general tips outside of stuff in the wiki;
    -Eileen gets good damage from counter hits. you'll have to learn good times to throw out [6][6][P] and [6][P]+[K]
    - PPP is nice, but the follow ups are easy to block and it leaves you at disadvantage. Most of the time [P][K] is better. [P][P][6][P] is also a great option.
    - Eileen's shoulder ram, [​IMG][3][P]+[K] is really evasive and gives guaranteed damage in open stance. It's worth lear

Read through the other threads in the Eileen forum. There is a lot of knowledge floating around. Good luck.

EvenPit likes this.
  3. ElricOfGrans

ElricOfGrans Member

Thank you. I have been through this forum and the wiki (along with a few other sites) to improve my game. It has changed dramatically since I did this. I am not yet able to work those combos into my game yet, largely as I am not yet reacting to CH/stagger/etc situations effectively (needs more practice).

Firstly, a super-basic question: where do I find the forum notation for the movement graphics (eg arrows rather than 6)?

I have been working on using her ARM to get CH opportunities, mostly using 66P or 46P to jump in on them. I have also been using 66K to punish wiffs at longer range, though my timing and spacing on that one is significantly less developed (read: I stuff up 9/10 times). This has recently become a major part of my game, though still needs a lot of work.

I have been trying to work 2_6P+K into my game, though I have been preferring 6P+K+G,P. I find this easier to input than 333P+K, and am trying to work on mostly using the P follow-up, but sometimes slipping in K for a mix-up. I think this could be useful when I play against humans. So far, my timing stinks on this move and I rarely get away with it (often hit out of it, sometime wiff). I clearly need a lot more practice. 6P+K is also something I recently brought into my game, often as a follow-up to a P confirm. I feel this is working particularly well. I cannot ever recall using PK (often use PP6P), so I shall have to give that a try.

Something I particularly want to know is how to use her cancels effectively. I stopped using them when I was often getting punished, but I really want to bring them back into my game. When should I/should I not use them? I also want to use her throws as mix-ups, but seem to be doing quite disastrously with this. If the opponent blocks my string, I try to throw and often get hit out of it. What is the correct way to mix throws in with pokes?

In videos, I often see top-level players (eg Gorgeous) using 46K+G. Beyond its huge style points, I am not sure what is so special about this move. I have tried to bring it in, but cannot work out when it is a good choice. What is the advantage to this move over other options?

There are a couple of points I have had particular issues with against the AI. Firstly, one of the AIs has a Brad that uses his side-steps a lot, which completely dominates my very linear game. What is the correct approach to take on this situation? Another consistent issue for me is, well, Lau. Almost any level of the AI, Lau is a nightmare. Aggressive, fast, powerful. I also have some issue with aggressive Pai AIs, but nowhere near as much as I do with Lau. What should I be doing in these situations where someone else is dictating the pace and flow of the match? Less of a problem, but Jacky's auto-parry is something I am still struggling with (oddly, I have far less trouble with Vanessa's). I have been leading in with a kick, then into my usual strings, but having mixed luck with this. Which are the better lead-in options against him?

4. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Marly will know more about this,

marly's eileen is evil in that he will throw you a lot and when hes not throwing you he's elbowing you.

eileen can do that 46K stagger or, maybe its 46 K+G, and then follow up with 66P and get a huge crumple combo.

what marly also does that is shocking, he will warikomi crouch right in your face and follow with a throw. its natural to want to defend when eileen goes into her warikomi stances because she could follow up with attacks, so throws are a surprise.

IMO P throwing is still a good option with eileen, since shes got a fast P and damaging throws that set you up for even more guessing (the one were she gets behind you).

thanks god she's linear, otherwise she would be a nightmare (more than she already is). there are only few good eileens online though, most are just PPP spammers (thats not to say they are easy to beat).

5. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    A lot of Eileens stuff is high, including her full and half circulars. To stop my opponent simply crouching everything, i try to throw out a lot of faster mids, mostly the elbow. Offline i use 6P+K a lot more.

I wouldn't recommend walking around a lot with Eileen, spacing is important but she's fairly weak at range compared to her threat up close imo. If you're punishing wiffs though, don't forget about 6K. It's a lot faster than 66K and gives you a knock down.

33P+K and 6P+K+G,P are the exact same move, the latter just has the monkey walk first. Learn to use 2_6P+K either by doing 33P+K or 323P+K(even better). In terms of use, the moves goes under pretty much any mid that doesn't 'scrape the floor'. By that i mean mids that wouldn't hit an opponent you've knocked down who didn't tech. It's most evasive at about frames 9/10. This means that if your opponent blocks 2P or your elbow and they elbow back, it will go clean under their elbow.

The cancels...Aren't great. pretty much everything you can do has been seen before by most people and will be blocked and punished. You'll get the most use out of cancelling into 236KKK in combos and cancelling into Zenk flip in certain situations. Avoid the 214K move. It will get you killed.

For throws it's the same as pretty much every character. Your opportunity to throw is when you're at advantage. The greater your frame advantage the safer your throw attempt is. If your trying to throw after a blocked string, you're attempting to throw from disadvantage which shouldn't work (but like everything, may do sometimes).

6. TheRook

TheRook Member

so is her offensive move attack any good? that and when going for her throws isnt damage the best option for her as in going for HCB,P+G?

7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Her OM P is pretty good at +1. If you OM to the opponents back you can get a CH if they 2P, 5P, basically most anything including throws and full circulars. If they delay just a frame then you're getting hit. I like using it after 6P+G2, PP6P, OMP towards their back. You can't abuse it as you'll need to mix up with your other options, but it is still strong.

8. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You know what? I need to properly test Eileen's OM P out. From blocked zenk K, I usually OM to HER back. OMing to her front seems to travel less distance and sometimes eat the 2P. I'll test this week if it hasn't already been done before by someone else.

9. TheRook

TheRook Member

thanks again guys~

10. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    So i tested this. It seems it’s pretty character dependant. In Open stance at +1 frames (blocked Zenk flip), OM P to your opponents or eileen’s back (same direction) will go around the 2P of and strike all characters in the cast except Lion and El Blaze. Lion is the only character where in Open stance you have to OM P to his FRONT. With Blaze, the 2P will hit Eileen regardless of what direction you go in open stance.

Actually, for : Akira, Goh, Kage, Sarah, Jacky, Eileen, Brad, Jeff, Vanessa (DS), Wolf and Dural, it actually doesn’t matter which direction you OM in, the 2P will whiff.

Closed stance is a little different. OM to the OPPONENTS BACK works against all characters except, Akira, Goh and Eileen. For those character you have to OM to the OPPONENTS FRONT.

In closed for Pai, Lei, Aoi, Shun and Lau if you OM to the front your Eileen will get hit. For all characters not mentioned, you can avoid 2P in either direction.

Bonus info:
    For those who didn’t know, When using Eileens 6P+G throw, regardless of the stance you were in when you used the throw, if you jump off the side towards the opponents back you’ll be left in OPEN stance. If you jump off to the front you’ll be left in CLOSED stance. I can’t remember off the top of my head what stance if you jump over their back. I’ll check when i get home.

Edit to say:
    Please feel free to check and double check this stuff guys. Also, i'm sure i remember Seidon doing something similar for Jacky. OM after Jacky's [6_] [K] [G] . It'd be good to see if the results are the same if i can find the thread. Had a look. They'd not the same. More testing required

11. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Marly, I done some testing with Wolf at +2 (blocked jab). The results were largely similar but with a couple of differences. I remember coming to the conclusion that it is all hitbox based. Which I suppose would help explain why Blaze can teleport through moves...you know, 'cause he's a midget.

12. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

MarlyJay great work in testing this stuff out. I'm always learning something new man. This is by far my favorite throw so I'm glad to know how to make my OMP tactic a little more safe.