1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fastest Character?

Discussion in 'Eileen' started by CiscoRey, Nov 13, 2007.

1. CiscoRey

CiscoRey Well-Known Member

According to many people I've played online, Eileen is supposedly the fastest character in the game. However, I'm not really too sure of which attributes of hers contribute to this. I mean, so far the only move of hers that I've noticed to be especially quick is her standard /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

With my experience of playing people, I've noticed other characters to have some moves just as fast as hers (if not faster). Perhaps there is something I'm overlooking? If you guys are aware of these fast moves that make her so powerful, I'd like to know them as well. Might help my game out a little. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

she has the fastest ARM, I'm also guessing her avg speed is faster than everyone else. Meaning her avg attack speed is faster? Her cancels make her pretty fast aswell. She has some slow startup frames though. She needs momentum I find.

her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is also fast along with her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

3. CiscoRey

Oh, ok. I guess that makes sense. I would have thought Akira to be the fastest in the game--based on move speed.

4. Tricky

he has slow ARM and has no real safe fast pokes. He has fast moves though but they're mostly dangerous if blocked. I haven't actually gone to look at his frame data before posting this but from what I've herd other people say that seems to be the case.

5. CiscoRey

It would be tough for me to know, as people only seem to use his safest moves online. Couple that with random throws and constant low jabs and you've got yourself a handfull.

6. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Certain characters, Akira is one of them definitely, need to rely heavily on good old /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif... That move seems like the great equalizer of VF5 because everyone's is is the same speed (12 frames.) But for guys like Akira that have a lot of slower but deadly single moves and almost no canned strings, low punch seems like one of the only ways to set anyone up for anything with Akira because the rest of his moves (obviously save a few) are slower and take a while to start up. When you're fighting one of the "fast" characters with him, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif seems integral to being able to interupt endless canned strings (Lei Fei!!!) and turn the tide of the fight.

7. CiscoRey

I guess the same can be said of Goh too.

8. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I play Goh it often seems like we both do most of our damage by low punching eachother, it's a pretty lame sight LOL! What else are they gonna do against canned string characters though. Doesn't leave you many options when Lei Fei is flying around mashing buttons and doing 100 hit strings, spinning around, going stance to stance... It gets kinda ridiculous after a while agaist that character, seems like the only answer to that style of play though...

9. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Note that canned strings don't track evades if you don't do anything after the evade, so you wait for the string to finish and then punish. Low P isn't the greatest for shutting down a lot of strings because strings are designed to beat the next attack you throw out after blocking the first.

10. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Uh Akiras dashing elbow is like the ultimate poke in the game now..

The thing that Eileen has, is her standard punch is fastest in the game along with Pai and Sarah, 10 frames. She is also very safe on block.

Other than that she doesnt have really that much faster stuff than others. Fastest moves in the game are Vanessas (DS) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and Sarahs (FL)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif both 9 frames. Fastest mid attack in the game is Akiras Double palm at 12 frames from crouch. (Note, he also has bodycheck, a mid attack at 13 frames)

Mostly this "fastest" stuff comes down to personal preference. Apart from the three girls with their basic punch, I dont think theres much to say about speed.

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Movement wise I believe Eileen and Jacky are tied for fastest ARM with Vanessa and Sarah in tow behind.

Akira is very very fast I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Usually when Akira gets on a roll he can end a match in record breaking time.

Also, the ultimate poke in the game is Jacky Iaigeri, too good! lol

12. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    What a great thread....

*loooong whistle

-----

What are we trying to get at with this discussion? Appearance of speed? Attack speed?

None of this even matters if you counter whatever they're doing.

(i.e. Dashing and throwing your opponent that holds /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b_.gif or stepping/blocking Akira's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif)
    <span style='font-size: 8pt'>
    Dawkins FTW</span>

13. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Good question... I dont know...

14. JF_

JF_ Well-Known Member

I don't think Eileen is the fastest charactr at all. I would think that she appears but she can be handled by just about any other character. Overall, I think she can be outprioritized/sabakied by most other fast characters at the hands of a half decent player (Pai, Sarah, Jacky, Shun, etc).

Honestly, I don't think Eileen is a beginner's character. She really needs momentum in a match to show off her speed. It's her mixups that really show her speed, I think. Try cancelling her poke strings into low stagger moves, etc. A lot of good players can't react fast enough against them.

15. CiscoRey

Yeah, I guess i was just curious about this whole "Eileen is the fastest" thing. I've heard it from numerous people but it never really became apparent to me. I mean, all I could really make of real use (speed-wise) is her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Other than that, I find her most effective attacks to have fairly large execute times. Couple this with the fact that Eileen literally has to set her opponent up to use many of these attacks and you start to get an idea of how unpractical she can be in a lot of situations.

I don't know. Overall I find Akira to have the best damage to speed ratio. Granted Akira isn't the best when it comes to ARM speed, considering how effective he is in close range combat I think of him to be the quickest. And that's not mentioning that some of his best moves are not only quick but fairly safe as well.

16. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants

17. MysticBoudha

MysticBoudha Well-Known Member

While Akira seems really fast i think that a lot has to do with the explosive look of his moves and the fact that is elbows can cover a lot of range. h'es not that fast and he is really vulnerable to evades. ( Has a lot of straight foward moves) if you learn to ETEG against Akira you will have a lot less difficulty fighting him.

But until the player has reached a certain level of play, Akira seems like a pain in the ass to fight. Same for Lei Fei. For Lei fei i think that the best option is to play him yourself. That way you will know his strings, know which moves are safe and which are not.
    In fact, learning all the characters is a major plus especially in vf.

18. JF_

JF_ Well-Known Member

Learning all characters is a plus in every fighting game.

On the Akira note, I agree that he has the best damage:speed ratio. Thing is, he is safe so much of the time because many moves put you in stagger, and that puts him in control until you find a moment to outprioritize him. He really is hard to fight against as a beginner, but at high level play he falls out of competition surprisingly fast. Too many Kage-Marus out there.... >_<

19. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Akira definitely doesn't fall out of competition a high level....

20. Tricky

a high lvl playing akira will know his char's weaknesses and learn to mix it up. I've seen a ton of very intimidating high lvl playing akira vid's.