1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Follow-ups to QCF P+K Counter?

Discussion in 'Jean' started by FYR_Mike, Aug 1, 2012.

1. FYR_Mike

FYR_Mike New Member

First post! Woo!

Anyway, I was wondering what some good follow-ups/mix-ups for Jean are once you successfully land the QCF P+K counter on a punch.

So far all I can pull off are 2K, K and 2K+G.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

3. seyu

seyu Well-Known Member

PSN:
    volX
    There are no guaranteed combos after this. Its "false advantage" just like [6][6][P].
    You get 20 frames, where your opponent cant do anything but block, however you also cant throw them.
    If your opponent doesnt block the attack hits as a counter hit. So [2][K],[K] will connect fully(it wont on normal); [2][K]+[G] will knock down and if youd connect a [6][K] it would launch higher etc.

There are two main mixups in this situation afaik:
    1. Low or Mid from a distance. Pretty simple, you can also hit a [2][K] and go in for a throw (its +4 on CH so that works fine).
    Or you can charge a [K] or something similar. If you do an OM after the [2][3][6][P]+[K] and then charge a [K] from the side, the followup [K],[K] for that move is umblockable.

2. Dash in Mid or Throw mixup.
    Even simpler, you dash and then decide it you wanna do [6][6][P] or [6][6][P]+[G]. Pretty simple, but effective.

on a scrubby note:

you can do [2][K]+[G] and if you score a knockdown and the dont tech immideately you can refloat them with [3][3][P][K] two times and then do a fully charged chop for 100 damage. No decent player will take that beating, but a lot of people online dont tech immedeately after a KD if they fear your mixup to much, so you can get easy damage from stuff like that.(doesnt work vs taka of course>_>)

4. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

The advice I got from Japanese Jean players was...don't use QCF P+K.

Sozos and Manjimaru like this.
  5. seyu

seyu Well-Known Member

PSN:
    volX
    why not?

6. Lucky_GT

Too risky. 4P+K+G leads to guaranteed damage and is safer.

While QCFP+K beats all throws Jean can TE during 4P+K+G and will only be NH during it. With QCFP+K you can be CH all the way through and it doesn't lead to guaranteed damage.

Also, with QCFP+K being 36 frames the opponent will likely be able to just guard the move after a throw whiff.

Sozos likes this.
  7. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

This is very good advice. Thank you.

8. seyu

seyu Well-Known Member

PSN:
    volX
    Indeed. Thanks GT.
    I didnt even know you could TE while doing the sabaki. What would the input be? hold down all thre buttons and then release kick for the throw escape?

I Relly gotta incorporate that sabaki better, but against people, most notably Akira players who go for 5P>elbow or 5P>throw, QCF P+K is just so easy to counter with:/

9. Hajin

Hajin Member

The sabaki AND qcfP+K seems to be active since frame 1 too. That's why it's so " easy " to use. Test in practice mode, put the CPU to block and counter attack with P and do 66P+K (which is -10 on block) then sabaki or qcfP+K. You'll get the counter every time, even on i11 punch even if the timing is a little bit harder.

Now qcfP+K is a " Sabaki 66P " I really don't see why you should use it. If the opponent do a kick they have literally two thousand frames to MC you. And it's -13 on block if they freeze. The only reward you get is a true mix up.

On the other hand, the 4P+K+G sabaki is a lot safer, you won't give them a Major Counter if they kick you and you got a small combo out of it. And by small I mean a good 68 damage. And you know now that they both sabaki at the same frame.

So like Lucky_GT said, and he's absolutely right, don't use qcfP+K [​IMG]

10. Lucky_GT

[4][P][+][K][+][G] > ([4],[6] or neutral) [P][+][G] > [P]. No button holding.

11. seyu

seyu Well-Known Member

PSN:
    volX
    Noted, thanks!

12. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

You can also do the parry and hold the throw escape. You still get (at least) a guaranteed [P][K] when you parry stuff doing this.

It was more useful in R though because you could do the parry and buffer several throw escapes. Just a sidenote.

13. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I was very interested to learn in what situations would you want to use [2][3][6] [P] [+] [K] over [4] [P][+][K][+][G] ?

I use [4][P][+][K][+][K] more because it's quicker to perform but sometimes forget to press the [P] afterwards to follow it up. So I was just wondering if there are any situations where [2][3][6][P][+][K] would actually be a better option?

Thanks,

Chi

14. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Nope. It would be almost decent if you could hit people who are trying to throw you but the move is so slow they can just guard it after whiffing their throw. Which takes away the only thing it has going against 4P+K+G. Things even punishable on block. Just don't use it, really.