1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

For Honor

Discussion in 'General' started by Myke, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Any VFers looking to try out Ubisoft's For Honor? Or has anyone already had some experience with it, and would like to share their thoughts? From what I've seen, it looks pretty interesting and the fighting game mechanic looks quite in-depth (enough) from both an offensive and defensive perspective.

There's an open beta commencing 9 - 12 February.

2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
  3. Blitzball Champ

Blitzball Champ Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Blitzball_Champ
    XBL:
    Blitzball Champ
    I plan to try it probably on PS4, but I also have an XB1 as well.

4. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

I plan on getting on that beta for ps4.

5. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'll get it on PS4, but it's cool to see that it'll be enabled for cross-platform play as well.

ShinyBrentford likes this.
  6. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    I have to admit it didn't cross my mind to try out the Beta version of For Honor at all, but I'm still very curious about this game. After reading impressions posted at various forums, For Honor reminds people of Bushido Blade, which is a game I really liked during its heyday.

At any rate, I plan to mess around with For Honor later this month a week or so after its release. If I do happen to get this game, it'll be the Xbox One version.

Kruza

7. ShinyBrentford

Its more like a 4 man squad based bushido blade with the way blocks work with a little bit of dark souls. Also throws are pretty OP.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Kruza and Myke like this.
  8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    LOL @ the No Honor video!

Have to admit, while still coming to grips with the controls, and until teching a guard break becomes second nature, it's hard not to feel a little salty at the ease at which someone can ring you out. The other thing that I struggled with was the different ways outside the GB > Throw in which someone could "push" you out. Some characters have shoulder charging moves, tackles, etc, which can push you out and, in some cases, pick you up and carry you long distances! I'm still not sure how to deal with these effectively!? When your instinct to GB tech at the sight of someone "grabbing/charging" you doesn't work, it feels disheartening! I really wish the training mode had a record/playback feature just to figure this shit out! :)

Anyway, I think it'd sit better (with me) if the stage designs didn't have insta-win by RO as an immediate option from the start position. I get that it creates high stakes from the get-go, but that's a pretty steep learning curve to climb on day zero.

Alternatively, if you inject some VF into this mechanic, you allow GB's to be untechable but the follow-ups (strike or throw) can be guardable/escapable provided you guess correctly. So you would escape the throw by guessing the direction (ala VF), maybe at the cost of stamina, but the wrong guess leaves you vulnerable to other, typically non GB-guaranteed attacks. Just a thought.

Having been on both the giving (see below) and receiving end of a RO victory, I'm not too bothered by it. Considering I've only played the game for a few hours over the Open Beta weekend, I think I need to allow myself more time to get better at the game before crying cheap over something I might struggle with.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game but that's mainly playing the 1v1 duel mode. Didn't really care about the other modes and meta games at all, seemed too chaotic for my tastes. I'll probably keep going with it once it's fully released, focusing on 1v1 and see how I go.

BTW, this video below is the last match I had during the Open Beta weekend, and it had to be against a rage quitter! :LOL:

Kruza, Ellis and ShinyBrentford like this.
  9. ShinyBrentford

Guardbreak bothered me at first also until I realize you could always mash or evade most of them left or right when you see the glow and then get a free counter.

10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm pretty sure you can't evade a GB!

11. ShinyBrentford

Trust me you can. Just ask @Tricky. If you see that glow dodge.

12. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ah, right, you're talking about those glowing charges/tackles? Yeah, they can be dodged.

But the traditional button-press Guard Break that everyone has? They can't.

Tricky likes this.
  13. ShinyBrentford

That's the throw mechanic of the game which can be broken with a well timed square or just start mashing like in FS. I enjoyed this game a lot and more then likely going to buy it.

Ytpme_Secaps likes this.
  14. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Yep, that's right, and that's the point I was making earlier in that there was no consistent way to deal with Guard Breaks > Throws and Unblockable Throws (the glowing shit).

15. ShinyBrentford

No. I've been calling the button push moves "throws" and the glowing moves "Guardbreaks". I know the game calls it a guardbreak, but LBH it's the throw machanic thats in all fighting games. So now that we can all be on the same page I will call it the push button "guardbreaks" and the glowing moves "Unblockables". Anyway you can break the the guardbreaks by hitting the same guardbreak button at the right time(it even flash) or mash/abare out. its has a strict timing that you have to hit on the flash, but it can be done.

Watch your video when you do it and look for the flash. The other players has to hit the guardbreak button as it happens or no broken guardbreak.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  16. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What are you saying "no" to, specifically? :) Aren't you agreeing with me?

It doesn't matter what you call them (the game calls them Guard Breaks, but you can call them throws, it doesn't matter), the point I was making ...
    To elaborate: there's no consistent way to deal something that visually look like it's grabbing you. Depending on what that thing is (GB > Throw, OR, Unblockable), a different defensive response is required:

1. Guard Break > Throw: can only be dealt with by teching the Guard Break (timing the button press, which you described). Once you're guard broken, you can't do anything about the throw. Also, if you see the Guard Break icon (red broken shield) you cannot evade, and I'm pretty sure it's too late to attack. Basically, once the red broken shield icon appears, you can't do anything but tech.

2. The Unblockables (glowing moves): the guard break button here is useless. Instead, you have to evade and, in some cases when they don't have armour, you can attack them.

So, you really have to train yourself to respond to the visual ques of flashing icons or glowing body parts/limbs, instead of the obvious and glorious animation occurring right before you.

Ytpme_Secaps and Ellis like this.
  17. ShinyBrentford

Yeah we are starting to be on the same page I would put the Guard Break moves(red broken shield) under Unblockables, cause they can be evaded. If you couldn't evade those moves then you will characters that will have a infinite that will not only deplete both players stamina, but will give you free hits during it.

Ellis likes this.
  18. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I was making people ragequit after our sets @ShinyBrentford. I had one dude just leave after the first loss and another leave mid match after I put them in the guardbreak, unblockable grinder with the spear chick. The only way to deal with it I see is to not be in guardbreak range or maybe to just not be guarding when it happens.

ShinyBrentford and Ellis like this.
  19. ShinyBrentford

I throw u in the fires of combat and now ur coming out on top. The fires of combat being that bonfire i kept throwing u into when u were trying to learn the game.

20. Ytpme_Secaps

Ytpme_Secaps Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Jami San
    Technically the first is a guard break then the follow up guard break button press is a throw. The special orange guard breaks like wardens charge or nobushi light,guard break kick CAN be evaded but regular GB can not be evaded but can be back dashed if distsnce is not close. Guard break" reversal" is key to throw spammers. At end of day ir seems very similar to the guessing game of VF, are u attacking when u have adv. Or are you guard breaking. Dash forward Gb or dash forward light to deal with backdash after u get adv.

I think it has quite alot of potential. Was fun to see community learning technique as we went.