1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Forums Upgraded

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Aug 31, 2013.

By Myke on Aug 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hey VFDC! I'm happy to announce that the forums have been upgraded, which sees a number of significant new features, both under the hood and for the you, the end-user, as well as bug fixes and performance improvements. Read on for details.

Major Features
    New Editor
    Say hello to a brand new editor! The previous editor had it's fair share of bugs. So apart from the look, here's a rundown at what's new:
    • Less bloated for faster loading times.
    • When pasting, most formatting is removed (though some is kept). However, if you're pasting from one XenForo editor to another (or within the same one), all formatting is maintained.
    • White space is maintained for code tags when pasting (finally!)
    • Pasting images: if you use Chrome or Firefox and have an image in your clipboard, you can simply paste it into the editor. It will automatically upload it as an attachment, if possible. If the upload is successful, this works exactly like uploading an image and then clicking on the "Full Image" button.
      • Note: in Chrome, the image data must be in your clipboard (such as from pressing print screen). In Firefox, you can either have image data, or you can copy a file that's an image and paste that.
    • Drag and drop uploading: provided your browser supports it, you can now drag files into the editor to upload them.
    • New Smilies palette: clicking on the smilie button now exposes all the smilies in the gutter of your editing area.
    • Saving Drafts: while you are typing a message, every 60 seconds (current setting), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. Drafts will be automatically pruned over time. Each draft is associated with a particular piece of content, such as a thread, forum, or conversation. A draft reply that you start working on in thread 1 will not be shown for thread 2, and so on.
      • In addition to saving automatically, you can save the draft manually any time by clicking on the save icon in the editor toolbar.
    • Message posted since you started your message: When you're writing a reply to a thread, a check will be made if any new messages have been posted since you started replying, and a note will be displayed if there are. You can then display those new posts without reloading the page.
    User Tagging
    You can tag users in posts with the the @Myke syntax. Tagged users will receive an alert, and you can control if you'd like to be alerted or not via your Alert Preferences.
    upload_2013-9-1_2-35-15.png

Conversation Management Improvements
    A number of improvements have been made to make managing your private messages easier, especially if you have a lot.

Firstly, when viewing your Conversations list, you'll notice a new tab along the bottom of the main menu. This shows some additional options for filtering: Starred Conversations, and Conversations You Started. Yes, you can now "star" a conversation. It's main use, just as in emails, is for filtering.

You can bulk manage your conversations (over multiple pages) using the inline moderation-style check box. You can star/unstar conversations, mark conversations as read/unread, or leave the conversation.

And it's probably worth reminding you that down the bottom of your Conversation list is an additional filter that let's you find messages either Received by, or Started by a particular user name! Handy for finding that message from such-and-such from a long time ago!

Responsive Layout
    Thanks to the new responsive design, the forums should now be more comfortable to read on mobile, tablet and other portable devices. You can even resize your browser window on your desktop to see it in action, but note that the size of the Ad only updates after a reload. Here are some screenshots taken from my mobile:

Screenshot_2013-09-01-12-58-07.png Screenshot_2013-09-01-12-59-57.png Screenshot_2013-09-01-16-55-24.png

There's a slight issue with the placement of the Ad in the header alongside the logo. I'm currently looking into a fix.

Other Minor Features
    • Thread titles are now editable by the user.
    • Post edit history is now enabled and viewable. You can also see a comparison between different versions of the post.
    • You can now watch a forum.
    • The Members page has been revamped. It no longer shows a full member list. It was largely useless, serves as a spam magnet, and can be a performance issue. Instead, the Members will be presented by:
      • Most messages
      • Most likes received
      • Most trophy points
      • Today's birthdays (if any)
      • Staff members

Problems? Bugs?
    If you experience any issues since the upgrade, please reply here and let me know.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Plague
      Plague
      Fantastic upgrades! Thank you for all the work you put in.
    2. Kino
      Kino
      Yea man this is nice work!
    3. IcKY99
      IcKY99
      Tagging will have some uses, nice!
    4. Ylyon
      Ylyon
      awesome! Thanks!
    5. WiZzYx
      WiZzYx
      Finally tagging.
    6. Mister
      Mister
      Thanks @Myke all the feature are really wellcome especially the draft one!
    7. Tricky
      Tricky
      MarlyJay likes this.
    8. oneida
    9. Lucky_GT
      Lucky_GT
      WTF @Tricky

Don't summon me if I'm not needed!
      Tricky likes this.
    10. Tricky
      Tricky
      It was a test
    11. Myke
      Myke
      In my lack of sleep at 4am in the morning excitement after completing the upgrade, I forgot to mention another cool feature: Responsive Layout!

Screenshot_2013-09-01-16-55-24.png

The original post has been updated with some more info.
    12. BlueLink
      BlueLink
      Awesome updates. Thanks!
    13. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      This seems like a really nice update. Thank you Myke!

Only one thing that bugs me, in the dojo, the bolded text of the subforum name that marks whether a forum has new posts is barely distinguishable from the normal text.. Maybe you could like add an extra icon or something to mark that a forum has new posts?
    14. Myke
      Myke
      That's on the to-do list; it bugs me too!
      Manjimaru likes this.
    15. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      @Myke the spoiler tags are gone now or will they work again?
    16. Myke
      Myke
      OK, a few more minor updates:
      • Sub-forum displays are back to the familiar grid format
      • Ads have been slightly relocated to better accommodate for the responsive layout, which has made way for...
      • A new header!
      Oh, as for the spoiler tag...

It's back! Also available as a button in the editor.

BTW, any graphic artists out there able to tell me how (in Photoshop) to get rid of the anti-aliasing on the VFDC letters of the logo? Hate them jaggies! :mad: Not perfect, but much improved.
      Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
      akai likes this.
    17. YOMI
      YOMI
      Site looks dope now, although I thought it was totally broken for a while since I couldn't access it until now, but the problem was with my bookmark; I've set it that it goes straight to the forums but before the upgrade the url into it was virtuafighter.com/forum, but now it's /forums, so how about a redirect...?

Although there still seems to be a minor bug or something regarding the shoutbox; Whenver you click it so it takes up the whole screen instead of being at the side of the main site like normally, it shows more members in it than there are online in the 'Members Online Now' box. I've always found it odd unless a lot of people just like to hide their online status or something.
    18. Sorwah
      Sorwah
      Finally upgraded to v1.2 eh @Myke :)
    19. Plague
      Plague
      You owe him $500. That's the base price of being connected.
      Tricky likes this.