1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Frames required for precise execution of DP?

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Desidiosus2142, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough but I can't seem to find the frames required to input the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif to properly buffer a DP. The fastest I have been able to pull it off using an XBOX360 controller (unfortunately, that is all I have ATM) is within 12 frames, averaging around 13-15. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    What do you mean by "properly" ? Go to dojo mode, turn on frame display, set cpu to block and lowpunch. Do jab ~ doublepalm. Look at the frame display for when you succeed in beating the lowpunch vs attempts in which you fail.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    To buffer properly, you need to do your command input during the recovery of the previous move. You have about (or exactly) ten frames. I've seen people do it on a PS2 pad.

Here's the explanation. Read the recovery buffer explanation, too.

Also, when you post, use white arrows to indicate tap directions and black arrows to indicate hold directions.

Welcome to VFDC and good luck.

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    There are no 'frames' required as such, because you can do 'from crouch'-moves from the first frame of crouch dash onwards, and timing has little meaning since the character will end up in crouch as a result of crouch dash anyway(unless you cancel crouchdash by accident).

What is more likely to matter is the cleanliness of the inputs.

And of course in case of combos you need to buffer the crouch dash within the recovery of previous move etc, and actual double palm motion fast enough.

ps. Welcome to VFDC

5. Sorry, I don't think I stated my question properly, though 10 frames sounds about right. What I should have asked is how many frames do I have to input it after a hi-punch, one of the fastest attacks. Just to make sure I have this right I have to buffer in the command /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif during the execution frames? Or do I have to enter it during both execution and active frames or is it only the active frames. I can pull off /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif about fifty percent of the time but the window to enter the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gifis so damn tricky, not to mention I am using an XBOX360 controller. (I could do it everytime on a PS2 controller after some practice)

Oh well, I think I'm starting to get it down now. I can consistently pull off the DP after my knee in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif because it seems like the buffering window is a few frames longer for the knee than a hi-punch (durrh!) so I don't think there is anything other than practice (and/or a Hori stick) that is going to solve my problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

To buffer a double palm so it comes out straight after a standing punch you need to start buffering the double palm straight after you've inputted the punch.

I input it all in one go as fast as I can, like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the buffering window... The buffering window is 10 frames in VF5 methinks. So standing punch is 11 frames, that means you can start entering the double palm one frame after you input the punch... practically instantly, haha.

Reason you notice a difference buffering double palm after KNEE is cause KNEE takes longer to execute... it's a total of 17 frames, so you start inputting the buffered dblplm around 7 frames after you input knee.

I could be wrong but I hope this makes more sense to you now.

7. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

Just something I do to help with timing: In any combos that require modifying double palms try just buffering in the crouch dash input. When you see Akira crouch it means that's the time when Akira will double palm (you were in the buffer window).

8. Feck

This is good advice, if i'm struggling with when I should start inputting the double palm I always do this.

9. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    This is the right general idea, but the wrong number. It's the total frames that matter, not the execution frames. Knee is 50 frames total, so to buffer a doublepalm correctly after a knee, you should complete the inputs between the 40th and 50th frame after you start the knee. Big difference from a jab (26 frames total, so between 16th and 26th frame).

10. Feck

Thanks for clearing that up KoD, I must have been looking at the execution frames instead of the total frames like you said.

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yes, I was about the post that the difference is not in the length of the buffer window, but that it starts later after the start of knee compared to the start of P in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - DbPm.

Idea is to do it all in one motion, dont stop to wait and see if the punch hit (at least at first). Just do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif~/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif without thinking. (guard isnt obligatory but I have found it helps me somehow) I noticed long ago that players who have just started to do the combos, tended to have a long wait between moves, and no matter how much I told them to just do it in one fluid motion it seemed unbelievably hard for them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

12. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

As surprising as it seems, you really just need patience (at least for me) I was always trying to execute the DP too fast. It was just a mental thing. I used to get worked up on trying to get the DP to hit that I always messed up so I just slowed things down and concentrated on the inputs which is what I should have done in the first place.

13. Judah

Judah Well-Known Member

Correct and accurate inputs are most definitely key in playing a decent Akira.

I'm interested in something though:
    What is everyone's preferred technique in executing the m-dplm?
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif?
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif?

I ask this because just recently I started really getting into the 50 pt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif combo and the second way listed really feels more reliable than the traditional former method, or at least in combos.

Anyone else feel the same way?

14. Sidna7

Sidna7 Well-Known Member

I also go for the second; for some reason I tend to get less single palm mistakes this way

15. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I do 3346P and land it maybe 90% of the time.

And I play on a controller.

/boast

16. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Neither method can be called 'preferred', use the method that works best for you personally.

17. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
  18. Unoriginal_Sinn

Unoriginal_Sinn New Member

First of all, if you are using a hori, since it is arranged in a square, the crouch dash is basically just the same thing as a dash, just one click lower. but this also helped me with the ps2 pad back in EVO.

the thing that i do that helps me with the input reliability (especially buffering in after long executing moves like the knee, yoho, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, whatever. if the instant youve input the commands for it, hold /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db_.gif until the instant you can start imputing the commands for the DP then you only need to roll to the down position and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif.

so i guess my method is usually (at least in combos)

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif

while this certainly isn't as effective in buffering after a standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, it effectively eliminates one of the commands on longer executing moves but it also helps with the general motion.

19. TSF

TSF Active Member

I do:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from the left side and
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from the right side(not quite what the command input says i do in both cases, but that's what i go for anyway).