1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fuzzy Guarding

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by JaLoHa21, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JaLoHa21

JaLoHa21 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JaLoHa21
    I realized that there was no straight up forum on Fuzzy Guarding, which is a crime itself considering it plays a big part of the game. I'm probably not the best person to ask about Fuzzy guarding considering I'm not all that good at it myself, but if anyone has questions I can TRY to answer them or someone else can probably correcting me on how I was wrong XP

2. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Let's add a forum for each technique in VF! Why haven't we thought of this earlier?! Damn us!

3. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Leonard - If you fail to comprehend what the new starter forum section is for...let me remind you - it is not a place to post yours or anyone else' unnecessary sarcasm.

As for fuzzy guarding - information is available in the many tutorial videos, but I'm quite sure people will still have questions about fuzzy guarding.

4. JaLoHa21

PSN:
    JaLoHa21
    I know that there is tutorial videos on it, but there never seems to be enough info on how to do it or clarification. I didn't understand it at first, but this is a website to expand and help each other at this very complicated game. So I took the initiative and made this. Same goes with you Leonard...

5. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

I did the tutorial in the game on fuzzy guarding (33,G), but I have no idea whether I did it correctly, or the AI just happened to use a mid attack and I just happened to block it.

6. JaLoHa21

PSN:
    JaLoHa21
    Well set it to he either grabs you or he does a mid attack. If you continuously seem to not get hit by anything then you did it right. It's a lot harder to find out when to do it though. That's what I haven't figured out yet myself.

7. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Fuzzy at -2, CD Fuzzy at -5. I'm still struggling to see the importance of fuzzy in FS though, doesn't seem that useful when you have the lazy TE system and tools like [8][3][3][G].

8. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

What's Fuzzy if it's not "CD Fuzzy"? @___@

9. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Fuzzy Guard is usually done when you are -1 to -3 disadvantage. You tap down for a brief second so you bob up and down. You stay in place.

CD Fuzzy you do when you are at -4 to -6 disadvantage.

10. JaLoHa21

PSN:
    JaLoHa21
    [​IMG] IS THAT A CHOBITS GIF?

11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Fuzzy Guarding protects you against all throw attempts.

Guard Throw Escape (GTE) only protects you against one throw attempt. Evade CD protects you against no throws unless you build a GTE into it -- and even then it's just protection against one throw.

Still don't see the importance of fuzzy guard?

BlackGeneral and Lord_Hollow like this.
  12. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

People have the wrong idea about fuzzy guarding. It doesn't need to involve throws, or even crouching. One such example of fuzzy guarding can be illustrated by drawing a scenario from Pai's Bokutai. Say that I think that Pai will either use her sweep or her knee. I'd want to time my crouch input to be some time shortly after the execution of the knee. This is because the knee is faster that the sweep. As long as my timing is good, I can guard against both the knee (mid) and sweep (low) without needing to react to the animations. If the knee is guarded, then I won't crouch, even though I've entered the input for a crouch. This is because you cannot switch between standing and crouching during guard stun.

Fuzzy guarding is simply a means by which to avoid damage in a nitaku situation. There may be a better definition than this, though.

13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I was training fuzzy guarding against mid/throw mixups and found that you can option select an attack to hard punish throw attempts for a minor counter hit. I don't know if this is news to anybody but me, but it's awesome stuff.

You do the fuzzy motion and just a little bit after hitting the G to stand up and block a move you do an attack that's 16 frames or less. If you blocked the mid the attack won't come out, if they throw whiff or do nothing you get your attack.

14. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

15. Tricky

16. Dennis0201

You can block opponent's 14f~17f mid. But the video also points out that you will get hit by p > elbow, and delay attacks.

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    As Dennis points out, it has it's weaknesses. BTW, this technique has been around since vanilla and I recall KoD actually posting about it -- will try to dig it up and post a link.

18. Tricky

I do recall something along these lines being mentioned a long time ago but it might've just been too far over my head at the time to understand. It's still a very nice tool even with it's weaknesses.

19. Dennis0201

Any move less than 15f(need to be confirmed) is able to punish throw whiff, and AK 46P is the best example.

20. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Lord_Hollow likes this.