1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Giantbomb talks Virtua Fighter

Discussion in 'General' started by cobratron, Oct 20, 2014.

1. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

2. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    "i thought 3 sucked"
    unsubscribed

Birthua, ToyDingo, Valakrie and 6 others like this.
  3. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Thanks for saving me the time of watching it!

4. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    i got through about 2 minutes of that, lol

5. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    3 did suck.

6. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    why?

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    For one: no techroll had yet been invented, leading to knockdown being dangerous and combos being retarded at times. Specifically good combos being unevenly handed out to different characters with no notion of balance. Lions "beach ball" combos against Taka spring to mind (I named it so because Taka bounces like a beachball a long time after having fallen to the ground). Or Laus K+G (his current 6K+G) into 44P2PPP7K full refloat, while someone like Sarah had to do with combos like 3KK -> heavy down attack.

secondly: combos being retarded and uneven in general. I mean, Japanese had to do "soft bans" on some stuff like Akiras dragonlance, because it was too good and too easily applied at every launcher and did halfbar damage. "If you use this, youre noob". Many years after launch of vf3 on dreamcast I found out it was possible to do frametight crouchdashes into comboing Akiras doublepalm to a floating opponent. Result: the combo is nintendo hard and does HALF of Akiras standard DLC damage. DLC, which is braindead easy to do and can be applied after his damn near every launcher.

thirdly: uneven stages that put you in disadvantage from the start just because you happened to have received 2P side.

This for now since its 8 am and my brain is not yet working at full capacity yet.

Sure, the game did things that no fighting game had ever done yet, but there were some glaring holes in it, possibly because it was such a pioneer. Looking back I consider it to be the worst VF version.

ps. I did not watch the link yet

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Chefboy_OB and MarlyJay like this.
  8. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    it's old and busted so it sucks? what of vf2 then, especially now that Jeff and Kage and wolf have a win button whenever they have advantage? I would argue that at some point competitive balance has a limit as a metric of quality: when the competition dies off and we're on the next iteration, a sequel that had the balls to try lots of new things but is unbalanced does more to shape the franchise than one that adds a new layer of paint but is balanced.
    i think VF3 rules because it tried to stir up the pot so much, and for every instance that didn't work out another did. even if vf4 is a less broke game, it's hard for me to respect it as much as vf3 because it seems so "safe".

Birthua likes this.
  9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Kage? What is this win button for him? TBH that new tech is only effective up close and the VF2 backdash is sick.

10. oneida

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    my bad, thought kage had a low throw in 2.

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I guess the button is [P] since TFT was inputted [4][P] in Vf2 :rolleyes:

12. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Vf 3 worse than fs? Hell no manji!

13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

VF3 sucked?? LOOOOOOOOOOOLL

14. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Expand more please.

Kamais_Ookin likes this.
  15. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    People seriously belive VF3 is a good game? I thought it was somehing of a joke. Then again there are people who think Tekken 3 is a good game, the game with Ogres who have a 12 frame unblockable that leads to 60 damage.

16. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Some people seriously believe VF is a good series?

I thought this was just a Yuu Suzuki/Shemune circle-jerk website.

17. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hmm, I think this has to do a lot with the fact that most people in this website were not really active / around in the VF3 era. VF3 bombed here in the states cause it was HELLA expensive to play (back then) and all people saw from clips was how "stiff" and "mannequin" like it looked, and it had this stigma that because it wasnt popular (HERE), it "sucked" by most people's opinion. But the fact is VF3 in no way shape or form "sucked". The home release helped to get those stereotypes out the window, but it was too late, damage done, only those who kept playing knew what's up. This is like the first time I heard from fans saying VF3 sucked.

All i have to say is look at the history of the series. Also, this is the first time EVER that i heard of a soft ban for Akira's DLC (where the hell you heard that from!??)

ps. VF5 is known to be THE weakest link in the series (STILL a fuckign good game, defenetly not a sucky game)
    pss. the only thign sucky in VF3 is shun's stage.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    oneida likes this.
  18. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    vf3 aint bad. vf5 vanilla is the worst(of the best fighting game series)!

fs is 1 billion times better

19. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Yeah, we get it already. They hated white women when they made Vanilla.

Chefboy_OB and Kamais_Ookin like this.
  20. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    You're on mighty trees to say such things, please share next Sega cup!

IcKY99 likes this.