1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh being pinned down by rapid attacks

Discussion in 'Goh' started by romeo_longsword, Jul 26, 2005.

1. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Cos [6][6]+[K]+[G] executes in 26 frames. Its so slow that people can visually react to it in time to crouch down and counter attack.

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

makes sense.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Thanks Akira_PH, I actually found your post helpful. What you listed may not be "combos" but they are a valid way of getting better damage than the "true max damage" combo.

4. romeo_longsword

romeo_longsword Active Member

Hi Elite,

Thanks for your advice. As I have said, due to all of you guys input, I really have improved a lot, although I still not able to perform ETE smoothly, but in terms of offence, my sucess rate is surely increased.

Shoulder ram is somthing I use quite a lot, due to that I am still using a pad, I usually only do a shoulder ram after the good old [2][P]. I do sometimes use dash, dash, but when using a pad I find it harder to dash around.

I was also told by EV2 that Goh is one of the weakest characters out there, and I was adviced by more than one person to leave Goh and move on to somone else. But I like the character design and his combat movements, I dont pick a character just because he/she is a powerful character.

Anyway, I think I am about to start getting into the right track, I find the community very supportive, thanks for all the advice.

I am looking for a stick online to buy /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Dude, if you want to use Goh, then by all means do so, however, he is recognised by alot of people as 'bottom tier', and has a lot of problems (such as what you are now experiencing). It seems to me like you would indeed prefer someone like Jacky, or maybe Lau, as you seem to want a character who is faster and has more strings and combos (though Lau rates quite high on the 'hard input scale').
    I recommend you do one of (or both of) two things:

1) keep playing as Goh untill you feel you have mastered him and can do all of his moves and flow-charts and are able to instantly react to any situation with one of the 'correct' repsonses for your character.

2) Play as a few other characrers, mess around with them in the arcades and training modes, to see if you find someone you also like. You could try Jacky, Sarah or Lau, or go for someone who is all about brut strength, and pick Jeff or Wolf.

It's always up to you man, do as you want. If everyone picked 'the best' characters according to tiers, then we would all only play 4 or 5 characters. The fact is, the game is so balanced that anyone can win with anyone, and each character has their own strengths and weaknesses which have to be applied correctly, you just have to find a character that suits your style.

I too had (and to some degree still do have) a problem with inputs, and if they are your biggest problem, then do as I did, as switch to Jacky. His inputs are stupidly easy, but he is still classed a 'top tier' character. The only thing with Jacky is that he requires you to watch stance to be able to get max damage out of his float moves, though I couldn't watch stance for a long time, and was still able to beat enough people.

Do as you will.....

6. romeo_longsword

I tried playing Kage for a bit, it was fun because the characters has some interesting moves, I love thowing you see, so I enjoy Kage's [9][P][G], and the back turning [P][G], but I dislike him as his [K] aims high, and I rather it aim med.

If I was to move on from Goh, it would be more likely be Kage, also, using his [3][K][G] is rather powerful.

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i use goh as my secondary character.

i'll show u sum bare tings /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

... but... everyone's [K] hits high except goh's.

Personally, I think if you've started off playing goh, you're game is going to soar. People who start off with lau and pai develop bad habits... but they're really aren't any bad habits you can develop with goh, since nearly all of his moves must be individually performed.

9. romeo_longsword

I played a few characters now, I do think Kage is a lot more offensive than Goh, and in terms of sucess rate in battle, I do do better somewhat. Because I am mainly using pad (looking for a stick ATM) I have not try AK, but I do think he is one of the most powerful one out there.

I will keep training in Goh though, just the character design, as well as some of the character movements.

10. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

You seem to be going down the same path as my brother. He started out with Goh, and the also switched to Kage.
    Kage has a much better set of strikes, and his throw game is arguably better as well. Many people think Kage has the best throw game in VF, and the set-ups he has are mean.
    He also has the Jumonji stance, which is very useful if use correctly, so you should find him interesting.
    If all else fails, he has got the TFT, so you can whore the shit out of that untill your opponent starts escaping it, then move onto others, forcing them to try for Triple throw escapes, which is hard(ish), and can sometimes result in an opponent spamming out a throw, meaning you can smack them with a counter hit.

For more info/strat/advice on Kage, ask either Andy (Elite) or Ryan (Tsuijin), as they are the best Kage players I have seen.......

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    vanity said:

... but... everyone's [K] hits high except goh's.

Personally, I think if you've started off playing goh, you're game is going to soar. People who start off with lau and pai develop bad habits... but they're really aren't any bad habits you can develop with goh, since nearly all of his moves must be individually performed.

[/ QUOTE ]

*brads K is also MID*

*sigh* goh is about flow charts, and he's is one of the best characters in the game who can pressure the opponent stiff with disadvantage. HE IS NOT THAT LOW TEIR ---- on normal hit, he gets alot of +2 situations. this means he can use an instant df+p / throw choice game JUST for screwing up a hit throw or crumble attempt.

df+p+k at disatvantage sabakis elbows and beats out a throw. -- when it hits you get +2. --- congratulations, you have just destroyed the opp's elbow / throw game at disadvantage.

b,f+k -- beats out rising mid kicks and gains +2, crumbles on MC, and gets a +2 if you fail to crumble. completely safe on block,

ff+p -- hit throw MC, +4 MC if you fail to hit throw, you continue with elbow / throw game.

b,f+p -- probably the best RN option in the game, if you are at small dis, you will beat most of the opp's advantage options and gain a free combo if they try to throw.

it is also a guarenteed combo vs -13 attacks (i.e places where wolf blocks an attack and gets a high punch guaranteed ).

----------

disadvantage breakers
    ------------
    shoulder ram -- can be used up to -4, low P blocked shlrm beats out the opp's low P, and in some cases an elbow.

attack whiffers
    ----------------------

b,P+k ---- has mad evasive proporties, and completely safe, backdash b+p+k works wonders against evaders and low P whores.

b,df+p --- one of the only safe true low attacks in the GAME. and gives you mad flow chart options. avoids low P at small dis.

---------------

misc.

b+p ----- long distance, completely safe, advantage on any hit to follow up -- and get s guarenteed low throw in MC, this automatically gives goh a 3 choice game!

------------

goh is also fast, and most of his mids are 16 frames or less.

12. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

You'd buy tekken, if your cheap ass could afford it! LOL.

13. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    HE IS NOT THAT LOW TEIR

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU!

14. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

You mean b,f+p in -14 situations and not -13 for a guaranteed combo.

15. romeo_longsword

Cheers EV, I find kage very fun, but I am sticking with Goh, just that I love grabing in combat, at least, the idea of it, cheers for the support though, I would like to hear stuff about kage also.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    danny13 said:

You mean b,f+p in -14 situations and not -13 for a guaranteed combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, u get the idea /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

atleast punch counterable is pretty common, so you'd get a free combo after:

goh, jacky, vanessa's, kage's pai's, sarah's, shun's well, almost everybody's evade k+g+p

jeff's f+p~b+p.

van's f+ppk

kage's b+kkk, or k+g,pp

brad's ducking k+g, or f+p,k

wolf's reverse hammer, (mabye SS? nah actually i think that's medium P counterable).

and you'd get the minor counter knock down for ducking high attacks like wolf's b+p for instance.

good stuff /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

--------------

EDIT: did i , mention b+p+k is completely safe? lololol, i mean who in the game gets a completely safe high launcher!? /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Goh is da man, lol

17. IronJUNKIE

IronJUNKIE Well-Known Member

2 much frame thinkin......2 textbook.... jus play the damn game for fun!....right smurfie?? Thas why i chose Goh instead of the other top tier... BUT u r right Goh is da man!

18. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Good and useful post, BK.

Damn, I really should use b, df+p more.

19. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    romeo_longsword said:

Cheers EV, I find kage very fun, but I am sticking with Goh, just that I love grabing in combat, at least, the idea of it, cheers for the support though, I would like to hear stuff about kage also.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM if you want some Kage advice, he's my main.

20. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the type up Bk, you've actually sparked my interest in learning another sub. ^_^