1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh vs. fast characters and Abare play...

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Gernburgs, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I have had some trouble fighting faster opponents, especially those that abare with jabs, while using Goh. However, I have found a couple useful moves for these situations and I'd like to hear some other ideas from the Goh players on VFDC.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif- I rarely used this move until recently playing an abare Aoi and it worked very well. It is a nice, quick, low poke that gives a nice +12frame advantage on a MC. From here you can low throw or use the advantage to try a big launcher. I found that throwing this out in anticipation of a high punch string works very well against these quicker, abare players.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif- Another nice move to set up an abare high string. If they are attacking a lot, this move will get some nice MC's into hit throw if you can time your button presses. I use it in similar situations to the
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif but more when they are coming forward from mid-range as opposed to up close. Because of the slow animation of this move, a little space to pull it off is beneficial.

If any other Goh players have some good strats against 10frame punchers or abare style players it would be much appreciated!

2. Gmoney

Gmoney Active Member

Hey what's up man (I like your signature by the way) But besides those moves sometimes I'll try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif charge move it'll duck high's and steps back a few feet and even if it's blocked it'll stun. also the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif sweep works ok. It's really hard and Very frustrating to fight these players with goh you've gotta really have your moves and timing down. But I have a problem with distance players like venessa or sarah who can pick me off and retreat forcing me to follow into a trap.

3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I don't play goh but I've fought some good ones and they delt with my 10frame punch by using goh's sabaki P+K > P+G game which made me really afraid to throw out punches. My 2 cents.

4. Gernburgs

I don't utilize this sabaki enough I think. Having Eileen scared to punch would be GREAT to say the least!

5. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Goh's sabakis are the key and mastering them means faster character like my pai have to second guess their attack first mentality for fear of the sabaki they know is coming if they do aggressive punches and kicks at the start of the match or whenever. Gentlemanthief showed me this first hand the last time I fought him the other day and I couldn't consistently get clean hits in because of his aggressive use of counter hits and sabakis that countered my pai's every fast punch or kick. Once you get them guessing the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif becomes a real option or his big 270 degree throw as well because the enemy expects a sabaki or counter hit not the big throw.

6. ZenTou

ZenTou Well-Known Member

db k+g twice then ground throw. use bf p + k pp, mix it with p+k, p,fp. The basura combo is an outcome breaker, and mix up your low throws with high throws and vice versa. use bf p+k to parry knees and fd p+k to parry mip punches. use the tsukami and mix up the throw direction everytime. GOH takes alot of timing. A lot of his strikes lead to gauranteed throws. That said he's an advanced character and the reason a jaded VF player like me got a resurgence of enthusiasm for the series. Two more things , ALWAYS follow up a ground throw with a ground punch, and f k can hit downed opponents.

7. Madone

Madone Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I think it is best to use stuff that does not depend on what the opponent does (such as sabakis or very slow attacks that ducks low and so on). If the opponent attacks a lot and mixes his striking attacks well, it will be difficult to connect with a sabaki...

Just guard the opponent's attacks and use whatever nitaku You get.

I also like to use Goh's elbow to set stuff up.

d/f + P [MC = +7] -> f + K

If the elbow connects on MC, the knee (startup 17 frames) will beat a P or d+P. This is of course very high risk, but if the opponent likes to attack in disadvantage (i.e. if he is abare), the go for i now and then.

So I usually guard a move, does the elbow which connects on MC and then I mix knee and throw basically.

Just use basic stuff like that. If You always know your advantage and do a move that is fast enough to beat a 10frames P, there will be no point in playing abare, your attacks will always win. Of course, You have to mix with throw to create a guessing game, but emphazise striking attacks if your opponent is keen on striking.

The d/b + K is nice as a variation, but it has a startup of 18 frames, and is -12 on block, the low throw can also be escaped. Go for something that is less risky, has less startup and gives a guarranteed combo on MC.

8. Gernburgs

I like d/b+K because it is a nice defensive move. It doesn't advance you forward and it's hard for the opponent to punish as it is rarely actually blocked (usually at least a normal hit.) The advantage it gives is enough to make your opponent honor the move. If you do link it into a low throw they don't have much time to register it and low-throw escape. I have had good results with 1K in matches so that's why I mentioned it. If I don't try to low throw I use the advantage to go for the Kirin (33P) which has worked pretty well also.

9. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I mainly use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to beat out Bokutai stance. (Lei,Pai)

10. Gmoney

Gmoney Active Member

Hey really when you fight fast character The truth is They USUALLY don't use much technique so their moves aren't that complicated they tend to develope some kind of repetitive pattern and use their speed to act aggressively and bully you out the ring or against the wall. But you should try using your evades, Sweeps, And just poke them to slow their strings. Try using your /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. It's a nice push kick that'll give you some distance. And like everyone else said Use some sabaki's to distract their punches. I don't really recommend the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to deflect the kicks it's kinda hard to guess which one's that move works on Oh yea and watch for their low sweeps that's usually attached to most their punch combo's if your block it you can low grab them; i.e PAI, AOI, LAU, LEI-FEI, Others have knee's at the end of their punch combo's that can be deflected using his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif i.e BRAD, EL BLAZE, SARAH, AND VANESSA, now for AKIRA you can sabaki and md-punch deflect him to death. As for JACKY, KAGE, and SHUN, to me they are very unprdictable. I haven't yet figured out all of thir movements but still practicing and you know that WOLF, GOH AND JEFFERY usually throws so i hope you can mix in a lil of this to your fights in case you have a as player on your hands

11. Stiff

Stiff Well-Known Member

Please stop giving advice. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

12. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

wtf???

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I think a spray bottle is needed.

14. Gernburgs

Dude I obviously don't need advice on fighting bad players, I can beat them. I'm talking about some one who is good and uses abare well on purpose with their fast character. You should learn more about the game before you try to give advice containing huge, sweeping and incorrect generalizations.

I wish I could have more characters in my sig so I could quote your retardedness again. After second thought, please continue to post, it's pretty entertaining. You should make a how to lose thread and give advice in that...

15. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Gmoney really?

16. Johoseph

Johoseph Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lau of America
    I honestly NEVER use [1][K]. It's slow, unsafe, and only gives advantage on CH. I'd use something more evasive and safe, like [4][3][P], which is only a tad slower, but completely safe. As for playing against someone who's crazy abare? I'd say learning frames is your best bet. Learn when to throw out something punishing based on their disadvantage, like a [6][K]. And if they're mixing you up with going abare or evading, based on range you could try a backdash to avoid their [2][P]/[P] and bait a failed evade at the same time.

I know a lot of this stuff is fuck all hard to do online with lag, but it's really all there is. You gotta poke those Abare players to death.

17. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

LMAO, that was hilarious

18. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

Watch out for those lei fei punch combos that end in low sweeps. And keep watching for them. And keep watching. And make urself comfy, u'll be watching for a while.

I would like to know what he does recommend to deflect kicks.
    I would like to know what he recommends using 46 k to deflect.

Gerns, i to "hope you can mix in a lil of this to your fights in case you have a as player on your hands". And if u can...please let me know wht the hell it means.

Hey ya tried gmoney. lol. Honestly though, it is good that u have a strategy and a plan to do deal with things. It's better to have the wrong clues than being clueless. If you can plan and execute plans, then u can improve. Don't let silly posts like mine get you down, and keep posting.

19. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Versus fast characters and abare play I often try to lure the opponent into counter-hits, for they are often attacking when I'm at a frame-wise advantage. With Goh's Knee (6K) that's a nice punishment for them. Often those players PK after rising feel free to launch the Knee beforehand too.

Most rushers also forget that their "fast" attacks often start high. Use that to your advantage and start attacking low, sabaki or try his low sweep into hit-throw 3P+K6P+G instead.

20. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

HeyreallywhenyoufightfastcharacterThetruthisThey USUALLYdon'tusemuchtechniquesotheirmovesaren'tthat complicatedtheytendtodevelopesomekindofrepetitive patternandusetheirspeedtoactaggressivelyandbullyyou outtheringoragainstthewall.Butyoushouldtryusingyour evades,Sweeps,Andjustpokethemtoslowtheirstrings.Try usingyour+.It'sanicepushkickthat'llgiveyousome distance.AndlikeeveryoneelsesaidUsesomesabaki'sto distracttheirpunches.I don'treallyrecommendthe+to deflectthekicksit'skindahardtoguesswhichone'sthat moveworksonOhyeaandwatchfortheirlowsweepsthat's usuallyattachedtomosttheirpunchcombo'sifyourblockt youcanlowgrabthem;i.ePAI,AOI,LAU,LEI-FEI,Othershave knee'sattheenoftheirpunchcombo'sthatanbedeflected usinghis+ i.eBRAD,ELBLAZE,SARAH,NDVANESSA,nowfor AKIRAyoucansabakiandmd-punchdeflecthimtodeath.Asfor JACKY,KAGE,and SHUN,tometheyareeryunprdictable.I haven'tyetfiguredoutallofthirmovementsbutstill practicingandyouknowthatWOLF,OHANDJEFFERYusually throwssoihopeyoucanmixinlilofthistoyourfightsincase youhaveaasplayernyourhands