1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

goh vs lei fei problems.

Discussion in 'Goh' started by ultralewis, Jun 13, 2009.

1. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    when i play as goh i find lei fei very tricky to deal with. my main problem is lei fei`s stances, i find that hardly any of my moves work against his low stance and the ones that do work dont do much damage. i thought his 3k+g > 4p+g would be good but its rather slow.

also when lei fei finishes certain attacks it leaves his back turned and if i attack i get countered [​IMG]

any suggestions on how to deal with these situations will be much appreciated. also any other general advice would be nice to [​IMG]

2. Lucky_GT

Lucky_GT Well-Known Member

If you block a move that leaves him backturned shoulder ram beats every move except [K] depending on the frames (I think there is only 1 move where [K] will beat your shoulder ram on block). Shoulder ram will also whiff if he changes stances. If the Lei player likes to use [K] while in his back turned stance [4] [6] [K] into back throw takes off 50% life. Pretty much either shoulder ram or wait for the stance change. On hit your probably best off back dash evading away.

Dealing with his low stances just use moves that scrape the ground like [K], [6] [K] and [4] [K]. You should be using these moves more against lei anyway because of his sabakis. These moves are kinda slow and will lose to lei's faster high moves out of his stances which is where [3] [K] [+] [G] and [1] [K] [+] [G] come in.

The matchup overall is pretty crappy for Goh.

3. Flyingguillotine

Flyingguillotine Well-Known Member

You need to face the basic truth that if you go head up against Lei Fei on a 2D plane, he will anihilate you. If he turns his back to you throw him , never throw a punch or kick. A back throw does more damage anyway. The only time you should punch or kick Lei in the back is when you OM to his back .

Lei's inherent weakness is most of his moves are linear . The best , quickest way to dispatch a Lei Fei player is evade, punch combo , side throw or ppk combo whenever he launches a linear attack or gets into a stance and attacks, and when he starts to read what your doing and consciously launches circulars , block counter or if youre feeling abare, counter his circulars with a linear. Preferably Goh's 46 p, as it backflops and you can get a ground throw and a down punch in.

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I wish I could give answers that work without exceptions, but there arent such in this case.

Gohs shoulder [3][3][6][P]+[K] is a good move that he cant sabaki. Its not absolutely safe to use when Lei is backturned however. From Koko shiki (Lei is backturned with hands outstrectched) he can do an evade and switch into Hai shiki (the low squat stance) making you whiff.

Lei cannot sabaki [K]+[G] either when he is backturned. Im not sure if it will whiff due to Lei being squatting however.

Against Hai shiki (the low stance) best bet would be fast low attack, but Goh doesnt have any. Maybe [4][3][P] but I dont guarantee it will work. One option would be to backdash and [6][6][K] maybe.

Overall important thing is not to run into Lei headfirst. Make him whiff things and punish. Play with timing your hits differently and interrupt him with delayed low punches up close. He doesnt have many attacks that are actually fast, so he is in trouble if you do that.

5. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Just dmpk lol. the lag will save most of the time until the lei fei starts throwing you. then just p 360 grab.

6. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

lol, this reads like a blueprint of how you kill me. The only edit i would make is above [​IMG] Also, definitely bait lei for whiffs on wake-up game and punish with 33p. I think due to lei's aggressive style (usually/most players) it encourages the player to use rising attacks when they shouldn't. I seem to throw out a lot more poorly timed rising attacks with lei than i do when i use other characters [​IMG]

7. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    DM cancel into OM K back crumple when LEI fei is bt is nice too against his linear moves

8. Mackfactor

Mackfactor Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Vf5sega
    evade to his stomach as he only has like 4 moves u have to evade to his back also. his offense also starts mostly with punch strings, so keep that in mind. i started studying lei fei and this is what i came up with and dm into oM K works wonders if u wanna be risky. sometimes its best to back up sometimes and spam lows, i like using df K+G, on non CH low sabaki is nice to, a setup used by top gohs out their, gauche and akape. 1 K+G is good too. once he is in the stance, he should commit, since he loses alot of frames to cancel stance. tho once he gets in the rhythem its hard.. because his flowcharts are insane, so its best to keep him away and look for recovery time and rush in and punish. Also knowing when lei is postive is good to know, ultralewis, learn lei fei for one week.. screw around with him and ull see he has some weakness. Lei fei is a beast for ppl who dont know the character. u barely find defensive lei's out there, a poke and throw type, so CH knee will be good against alot of lei's.

9. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    in koko stance if im not sure what my opponents are going to attack with 2/8p+k+g, 44, or guard to cancel stance reset the situation(ahem jacky dont need to worry 46k+g), i seen the majority of the time when im in this stance many players mixup with backdash or use delayed attacks and if lei whiff p sabaki dash in and throw.

10. social_ruin

Solid advice. THe one thing i want to warn though is to be careful with throwing out low sweeps and hoping lei moves into them. With goh, this strategy is something i do quite often. Backdash and 1 or 3 KG. But when using lei, i love it when my opponent is out of my range and misses a sweep and i can go 8pkg to doko stance (standing on 1 leg) and then 2k and get a low stagger by hitting my opponents extended foot/position on the missed sweep. I would just add that if ur opponent is doing this, then stop working the anticipated lows.

But if u struggle with lei, definitely jump in dojo, grab the wiki here, and learn every move that leaves lei with an advantage even when u block him. And GL. Cause even know lei inside out, if it comes down to round 5, i know ppp might kill me.

11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I would suspect OM P would work pretty well just on its own as Lei is rarely in actual advantage.

12. V_MIRZA

V_MIRZA Member

Im more of a hands on goh player, so if any of yall play lei as well, could give me some pointer

13. social_ruin

V_MIRZA,
    if u have time and a mic, hit let me know when ur available. Just give me a time and, we can get xbl and i'll show u a few setups to look out for and good time to go for the sabaki to limit lei's options to less potent one [​IMG]

14. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Are you going to copy and paste my one move a day I sent you ruin. lol.

It would help him.