1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Group effort to learn each character?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Hazzerone, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I guess that would work too but I would like to hear it from the man himself. So, whats the first character?

2. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I reckon we should go through it in order.

At any rate, my weekend is clear so I'll be up for it.

3. Hazzerone

Hazzerone Well-Known Member

Alright I have characters numbered between 1 and 17 I would like the next person to pick a number between 1 and 17 and that is the character we will use.

4. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    (Bet it's not Akira, Sarah or Jeffry)

5. Hazzerone

U gonna fucking pick a number or what? I asked some1 on msn to number the characters 1-17 all i did was write it up on notepad.

6. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
  7. Hazzerone

8. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I know, might get a character you play as [​IMG]

9. Hazzerone

Lei and Vane have been voted so far, good choices imo.

10. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Why oh why didn't I vote Sarah?! [​IMG]

Sorry Seidon if I spoiled your fun heheh

11. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

Aiiie not Sarah [​IMG]

12. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I voted blaze cause its one ofthe few characters I havent really tried myself at all. Im easy with majority vote though. Lets hope this goes thru

13. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Haha, Sarah is well in the lead now we're all gonna get to kick Hazz's ass with his favourite broken character [​IMG]

14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I should have internet next week. I'll be back hopefully with a better connection than ever. I wouldn't mind learning some Sarah. I wanna learn lei fei though.

15. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I want to learn Vanessa and Pai myself. Sarah would be worthwhile to me.

16. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Against Sarah.

The problem with dealing with her is that anti Sarah strategies are mostly character specific.

If you play Akira/Aoi/Brad/Eileen/ElBlaze/Goh/Jacky/Jeffry/Kage/Lau/LeiFei/Lion/Pai/Shun/Vanessa/Wolf :
    1. When she enters flamingo stance, press [P] and mix it up with [2][P].
    You can also try [6][P] if you feel like a badass.

If you play Sarah you can just cry because she doesn't have the tools to deal with such broken bullshit.

You're welcome!

17. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Sarah has a lot of moves that give her + going into FLA.

Not only that but she has a nine frame jab.

I certainly wouldn't want to try and attack her out of that stance right after she goes into it.

18. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I don't think it is feasible to pursue all this. Learning each character takes away a massive amount of your time that you could have spend on honing your skill with your main.

The thing is: you don't need to be able to play with all these other characters. The only thing you would want to know is how to play against them with your main.

The only effective way I see is to play your main character as often as possible against the strongest players of the chars you have the hardest time against. Perhaps, if you're nice, they will tell you how to counter the one or other move that you deemed unbeatable before.

What use is it to up your playing with a sub characters from 10% to maybe 60 or 70%? For becoming better with your main, to a competitive mind set, it would be much more important to have a desperate, insatiable craving for even the smallest incremental advancement with your main, say shifting from 80% to 81, or 82%.

Stop wasting your time.

19. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    For me it would be a case of learning what other people will ideally be going for.

Sometimes when I play Sarah, Vanessa, Pai, Shun or Lion I see things that I never even knew existed. I also don't know when people are at disadvantage. Some characters have things that you woiuld think leave them - but only really but them at like -2 or even + something.

I only really know the characters I play as and play against regularly. And with such a small pool of players playing a smaller pool of characters it's hard to really expand your knowledge of other characters without playing as them or at least studying them somewhat.

20. Hazzerone

Can't believe Sarah is being voted... fucking gutted.