1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help switching from pad to stick

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by Freakohollik, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Freakohollik

Freakohollik New Member

I've been playing VF for a while and I recently got a Hori FS3. So far playing with the stick has actually made me worse. I love being able to hit the diagonals, but I've found myself a lot less mobile. I mostly play Akira, and trying to do stuff like back dash into double fist strike or super dashing elbow has just not been possible for me on the stick.

Is if there is some sort of stick holding form that I'm not picking up? When I play I put my palm down onto the ball of the stick. When I need to hit rapid rights I take my hand off the stick and hold it on the left side of the stick, then tap the stick with my fingers. Like hitting the left flipper on a pinball machine. But then I still don't have a good way to do rapid lefts. Feels like I'm missing something. Advice?

Thanks.

By the way, I'm new here.

2. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Practice, practice, practice. Keep playing online or Quest Mode over and over until you get the hang of it.

I'd also recommend getting a different stick, like a SFIV Madcatz TE stick or a HRAP-EX-SE. A stick with all Sanwa or Seimitsu parts is the best.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
  4. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat as you with SF4, it takes awhile to feel good with stick after spending so much time with a pad. Lucky 4 me when I came back to VF5, I was use to the stick. No better way to play a fighter. Def ln getying a SF4 TE stick, its pre amazing

5. Freakohollik

Freakohollik New Member

I am curious, why is the SF4 TE stick so much better than the Hori FS3?

Also the link to other thread was fairly helpful. Thanks.

6. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    It has so much better parts (buttons,stick). Its also bigger and more comfortable to hold on your lap, compared to the small and 'plastic-like' fighting stick.

7. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

The buttons of your hori will start going out within 2 months if you play daily.

8. Manjoume

Manjoume Well-Known Member

I'm still transitioning myself to stick in certain games (Marvel, soon to be Skullgirls, Virtua Fighter, and a few others). I don't think I'm there yet, but I can pull off stuff I thought I'd never be able to do when I was starting. Just goes to show that its possible if you stick at it, even when you start off sooooo bad.

9. Genesis

Genesis Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Genesis Malakh
    If only the sticks weren't so terribly expensive.