1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with Shun?

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by White_Worm, Jan 29, 2009.

1. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

So I was playing JHow on XBL last night, and I was having a hell of a time. I wanted to get some opinions of other wolf players about how to beat Shun.

First of all, JHow used /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif on techroll a LOT. After about a million times, I began to realize that I can't really think of a good wolf reaction to this move. I mean, there's always RAW, but that would require a forward dash which makes it much more risky. Plus if he uses the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif version, RAW loses. Spinning elbow is out of range, as is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. Quick shoulder misses or gets crushed (somehow). Any ideas?

And what does a Wolf player do against a Shun who uses mostly half-spinning moves and plus-on-block moves? I don't know what to do about Shun pressure, especially when playing Wolf. Any ideas or comments are appreciated!

2. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

1)Cut the Machine OFF!!!!!

OR

MORE BRISAL!!!!!! That alls im going to tell you.

3. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Brisal against Shun's hoping, ducking, low & back turning attacks? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif Other characters' evade p+k might work, but <u>imho</u> not wolf's (or OS vanessa's or Lion's for that matter or Lau's cause it's frickin slow and the shun player is probably 2 moves ahead before lau's evade p+k goes into active frames).

4. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    Hi White Worm. Your Wolf is very good and to be honest I fear Wolf pretty bad with my Shun. Wolf's rushing move is very good against me. If you can anticipate when I might drink you can rush me all day long. Or you can get a free one if I use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif after the mule kick.

I admit I LOVE Shun's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif!! It actually completely ruins me when using other characters because no one else besides Lion has anything like it. It almost completely eliminates the guessing game when someone is staying close on wake up. Denkai is very good at destroying this. If you can anticipate my sway move, and regardless if I do his single or double punch or nothing, the delay time afterward is horrible so you can get a free throw or the rush move.

I can't be of anymore help because I don't have a clue about Wolf. I'm down for some player match sessions anytime!

=)

5. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Like playing against most characters you need to be aggressive. Stay on them and make them block. When you anticipate the block throw.

Here are some great tactics.
    Mid Kick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif: especially if the opponent crouches or evades on get up. Mix up fake mid kick for throw.
    Grizzly Lariat /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif : same reason as above, but hits low.
    High Circular Kick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to Circular Elbow or Side Throw: great move against evaders. I sometimes throw this out away from the opponent to make them think twice about evading.
    Back Kick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif into throw: if you notice the opponent crouches quite a bit
    DMPK Throw: Do it if you see the opponent do long mid or high moves and mashing P. After a few of these throws an opponent will be nervous attacking..which leads to more blocking... which leads to more throws /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

any other questions?

6. Fu_unji_kun

Fu_unji_kun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    None Other
    Well, I play Shun as main character, and I sometimes play Wolf too, so let me say something about Shun and Wolf.

I think Wolf's biggest power is strong nitaku(2 choises), which is strong throw and strong attack. So I'd say use 2P wisely, and get advantage, then use nitaku.

Wolf's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can dicrease 1 drink from Shun, so I suggest to use that move. Also Wolf's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif can make counter since Shun has alots of punch skills. So why don't you try to use these skills to Shun.

Oh! almost forgot to say.

If you have made K.O. with 3K. use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which can decrease 3 drinks from that old man. haha

Sorry about my poor English skill. I hope you guys can understand this. feel free to ask me anything, I will able to answer your questions if I have the answers.

7. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I just started with Shun recently, and I think I can tell something may be useful for anyone has trouble to deal with him.

Well, Shun and Lei are pretty similar because you can't judge their fellowing moves by your eyes!! Which means you need to understand what they intend to do when they changing their stances. More important both of them have some safe moves and good players always mix them up to confuse you. The best way to learn one character is to use him by yourself. I'm so frustrated when I against Shun before but right now I feel better even I still lose to him, but at least I know "why" I lose. Of course Shun is so interesting to play especially when you realize what he is capable of.

Go to dogo and pick Shun, go through his moves couple times and I think you can find out the solution soon~~

8. White_Worm

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I should have specified that I'm not a new wolf player, I've been using him since VF4.

JHow, I had thought of just rushing after tech and blocking the dodge/punch, but I guess thats a hard habit to get into for someone like me. So the recovery on those moves is pretty bad eh? I guess it would be the same as a wakeup mixup, but i have to dash forward and block, THEN do the mixup. Odd. Throw me on your friends list and we'll get in some player matches next time we're both on. I'm "CF White Worm".

Brisal. You've played my wolf before (at least I think I was using wolf). Interestingly, all the moves you've listed there whiff a shun who does 1p+k+g on tech (except for 3k, but it only hits if shun dodges the right way). My question, to be more specific, is how do you deal with a half-spinning rushdown? Like if your opponent already has advantage and is going to do everything they can to keep advantage, and sidestepping is too risky, what Wolf strats do you use then? Against most characters, RAW works great, but shun's standing kicks are just too scary (even for a heavy).

Bad_apple: I usually try for something like 43p, 9p+k, 9p+k at the end of the round. Looking at the command list though, if you could get Ogre Chop to neck cut (8k+g) that would be -4dp! From 2 moves! I wonder if it hits...

9. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

delay attack?

10. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    I think I understand what you mean. The recovery is bad but only if i JUST do the sway. If I use the P or PK during sway it's safe on block. Actually I wonder about PK sometimes, but no one ever tries throwing after blocking it.

One good tactic when you anticipate the sway is to crouch dash in. If I use P you will be safe underneath. If I choose PK you have time to see it coming.

I'll definitely add you to my friend's list and we'll get some games in!

11. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

If Shun hits you with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, you should be able to techroll and hit them with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif before they recover from the drink animation.

Also, if you have a standing Shun at the end of the round, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif does -4DP. Supposedly in R, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif works and does -5DP.

12. White_Worm

Looking at Shun's movelist, the dodge /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is -2 on block, and the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is -5. That's pretty safe! But they are both listed as high attacks, so I'm wondering if /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif might work. I'd have to dash in first, but the resulting foot crumple could be enough incentive for Shun not to use it after every tech. Might be worth a try!

I also bet that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif would crush both of those moves and track pretty well, but the timing to beat out the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif would have to be spot-on. Still, worth a try!

13. Dennis0201

JHow77,
    Can I play with you for couple matches when you have a chance?
    I always stick with player match and couldn't find you there~~

I hope I can learn some Shun's skill from you next time and hope you don't mind playing with my noob Shun~haha~~

14. Dennis0201

Wow, -4dp in the end!!! Thanks for the info~~

15. White_Worm

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is -3dp.

16. Dennis0201

I only know /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is -3dp~
    so it's the same as above~
    Thanks for the revising, I was happy too early /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

17. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    kill shun with a mid kick. then do 43p --> 8K+G that's the best way to end the round

18. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    this is only 2dps dennis /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

19. White_Worm

I tested it out in dojo, and I think the best option is 43p, 41236p+k, 9p+k. The jumping shoulder at the end barely hits, but it does hit (only because a KO'd opponent can't tech roll). The total is -4dp.

But to pull this off, its gotta be done ASAP for the jumping shoulder to hit in time.

20. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    I'm pretty sure Shun is safe after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif but not if he does it after the mule kick.