1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How many matches does it take to Master a character?

Discussion in 'General' started by Darrius_Cole, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I was reading a thread the other day and someone said that they had about 15,000 matches played in Quest Mode. I have about 1,000 matches logged in quest mode and had become frustrated at being unable to dominate in the last arcade. After reading that I have begun to think that maybe I haven't given my self ample chance.

I have since started a different approach. I have abandoned playing with my primary character (Pai Chan) for now and have begun to go through all the characters in order. I am asking for help from "old-heads" in determining how far I should take the other characters before I should return to my primary character. At first I thought that I should go until they were all 1st Dan. Now I think I may need to go until they are all Warriors.

So I have some questions.

1. How many matches have you played.
    2. How many matches had you played when you got your first Champion.
    3. About how many more matches have you played with your best character than with your worst character.

2. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

well over 1000 matches to master a character.

mastering a character means knowing all of your options vs every other character in every situation.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I think it will be hard to determine how far you should go against the CPU. I've heard it's only in the last two arcades that the CPU acts like a really advanced player.

I have about 6000 matches on my Akira (Quest and vs. people) and I'm still learning about things like backdash-shoulder, backdash-yoho, and back-dash anything.

I think learning other characters in training, challenge and quest modes can teach you how to fight against them with Pai. You learn things like "if I do this here with Pai - Sarah could counter with that." You'll be able to recognize situations previously unknown to you "I just blocked Akira's [6][6][6][P] so he's -6, now's a good time to counter with this."

It may be well worth your time.

*EDIT* I don't know the answers to your questions 1, 2, and 3.

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

remember that [6][6][6][P] is -8 in FT now

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

-10 in FT version B?

6. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    My current Pai character has at least few hundred matches and I never found anyone to fight against with my current Pai. Training really helps but in game play helps the most. I learned to perfect the techniques I use because I played the characters in Quest Mode which are harder then they are in Arcade mode or training mode, they put forth more of an effort to fight back this makes you learn to use it better. It took me about 500 matches on average to get enough skill in to master her to a level where I can get past the last arcade and contend in the final tournament. Spending 1000 games doing this is somewhat crazy and that was just the final arcade

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

remember that [6][6][6][P] is -8 in FT now

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember it when I play FT Quest mode . Unless, of course, I'm playing FT ver. B Quest mode.

8. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

5538928340 matches exactly

I did this a few times and finally figured it out.

9. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

well you gotta stop double jump kicking even after throw counterable moves first /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I dont need to play with a character to master them, I just look at them and say "I AM YOUR MASTER".
    I can also read my opponent's mind, even the CPU's.

11. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    And Darrius Cole learns that VF, a game which he already thougt was the deepest of all time, is even deeper than he thought.

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

I think it will be hard to determine how far you should go against the CPU. I've heard it's only in the last two arcades that the CPU acts like a really advanced player.

I have about 6000 matches on my Akira (Quest and vs. people) and I'm still learning about things like backdash-shoulder, backdash-yoho, and back-dash anything.

I think learning other characters in training, challenge and quest modes can teach you how to fight against them with Pai. You learn things like "if I do this here with Pai - Sarah could counter with that." You'll be able to recognize situations previously unknown to you "I just blocked Akira's [6][6][6][P] so he's -6, now's a good time to counter with this."

It may be well worth your time.

*EDIT* I don't know the answers to your questions 1, 2, and 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

6000 matches with one character and still learning things about that one character, this is the best game ever.

12. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    This is the best game ever. I find myself saying that to <font color="blue">GoatCheeseBlues</font> at least once a week when we're discussing VF stuff.

In regards to my match count, keep in mind that other people learn faster than I do - so 6000 matches is just what it's taken for me to get as far as I have.

13. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    tony: Playing so much with Dural will do that to you XD

Darrius_Cole:
    1. 4,000 to 6,000, there's really no way to tell for sure though
    2. I've never attained champion actually...
    3. 2,000? not sure. between memory card issues and playing in different places, or not saving all the time, it's pretty hard to come up with solid numbers.

If you play Quest mode until all of the other characters, more important than the rank you attain is how many arcades you go to, imo. As you go further, pay attention to Pai players in particular, watching the way they defend against your character, and also how they put pressure on you. This has helped me a lot with my secondary characters, but only occassionaly helps with my primary (probably because I've played him so long XD)

edit:
    as far as #3, I think 500 to 1,000 is more accurate. I don't know where my head was at <.< I still stand by the fact that it's impossible to know for sure (at least for me and the people I play with)

14. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Wow....

I'm at 900 matches on quest mode.... I've got a long way to go to catch up with you guys. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yeah, but I think learning how to play other characters makes you better at defending and playing against them. At least thats how it is for me in DoA. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience in this game and against alot of characters. I just went into practice mode this morning after playing against an Aoi player and figured out the stance I kept getting beasted by.... man I suck.

This game requires so much from you, and you can't run the same strategy all the time or else specific characters will run you over.

15. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    See all the people talk about 1000 plus matches really blow my mind. I beat the whole game with Pai when she only had about 500 matches logged in and she isn't close to a champion either. I might get 1000 matches in by the time I get to Champion and that will be about it. The fact I do it with Pai makes it even more amazing since she don't have the great move lists that Akira, Kage, or Jacky have. I see the game at the last 2 arcades as harder then a typical human player because they will respond better defensively then any human player when stunned or turned around but they are still dumb AI's that will fall for simple things it may just be hard for the average players to take advantage of it because they adapt to the moves used against them so well.

16. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Mastering a character is not all about numbers in the Quest mode. I've logged over 20,000 matches with Akira in the Quest mode, but I still feel way short on in terms of "mastering" Akira. However, here's what I try to move towards the goal, and I'd like to share it with other aspired players.

In order to be proficient with a character in the game, you need to get down the common basics first.

Those include things like movelists, techrolling and other wake up options, movements and spacing, and defensive techs such as fuzzy guarding or TEs.

A lot of new players practice combos or a difficult move like DLC, SPOD, or Knee when they pick up a character, but this is not the right move.

Being strong on basics enables you to pick up many different characters as your sub as all you need to learn to play them will be their moves and combos. That's why a lot of strong Japanese players can play multiple characters well.

Secondly, practice combos. The combos in VF require much more attention due to their complexity. You need to watch the stance as well as hit kind and a character's weight class.

A pretty nice incentive on mastering combos is not only the max damage from your launchers but also the respect you will get from other players watching you play.

Third: Learn how to play against other characters. This part is the most difficult and time consuming part, and quite frankly, the biggest disadv we have compared to Japanese players.

How would you learn how to play against a character? If you have a brother who plays VF with you, you will learn to play against the character that your brother uses, right? Wrong. Unless your brother is one of the best players in the world with that character, learning how to deal with what he does would never be enough. You will find yourself getting crushed by a better player using the same player at a gathering. In this case, you'd at least have a bit of exp due to your exp against your brother against that specific character. Here's the worst thing. The worst thing that can happen to you at a gathering is you getting dominated by a player who's skillwise far worse than you but uses a character that you have no clue how to fight against. Some people even get really mad fighting against someone he has no clue about. It happens more frequently with the none standard characters in the game such as Leifei, Van, or Shun. It definately is not the player who plays one those characters and beat you down. The truth of the matter is you can blame nobody but yourself for not have studied about the character.

The best way to learn how to play against other characters is by studying VF. You need to study other characters' unique moves and setups. You have to know what kind of properties some of unique moves have.

Although It differs with characters, most situations in VF follows the rule of frames. In order to learn your best options in a given situation, you need to know frames in that particular situation.

An easier way to learn your best options is studying good players matches. It is very important that you won't be watching who wins that match or what kind of flash things happen in that match. These things won't improve your game a bit.

What you really want to take notes on is what each player does in any given situation, and what'd be the players' thinking behind it. In order to understand their logics and mind games, you need to have the information regarding frames and special properties. The movelist on VFDC has all the frames you need. You don't need to try to memorize it from A to Z. Go look it up when you run into a situation you don't know. Add one by one to your knowledge. Sooner or later, you will know more than you don't, and you will be that much stronger.

I really hope this helped somebody.

Jake_Valenti likes this.
  17. Darrius_Cole

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    Thanks that helped a lot. In fact, I am going to print it out.

20,000 matches with one character and still short of mastering that one charcter.....This is the best game ever.

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while, but I wanted to first check what my stats were on my ps2. Having not had the time to do that recently, I will post something for now which I think is important.

Asking for how many matches it takes to master a character is like asking how many posts does it take to become a respected member on vfdc! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As you could probably tell by now, everyone learns at different rates. What might take someone hundreds of games to learn might take someone else thousands.

For me personally, when I dabbled in side characters I would do a speed run through quest mode -- getting them to the highest rank as quickly as possible, and not doing any quest orders unless needed for tournament qualification. This would satisfy me that I had a pretty good understanding of the character, but by no means a master. Off the top of my head, I got Goh to Haoh (champion) in around 300 matches.

My understanding consisted of knowing the guaranteed counters, max damage and character specific combos, and all the other things maddy mentions. And I would be satisfied once I could dominate in the last arcade and maintain a win rate of around 80%.

I'm not suggesting this is the way to go for everyone. For someone like me who has played VF since the beginning, I think I have an easier time picking up new characters than say someone who just started playing Evo a couple of years ago. But getting to the highest rank relatively quickly (~500 matches) and being able to maintain a high win rate in the last arcade is probably a good first step on the way to mastering a character -- assuming you have no human competition! In other words, without any real human competition, one can never truly hope to master their character. To reach a certain level of proficieny, yes, but to master, definitely no.

If you do have human competition, then I would add to the above that to be able to remain competitive amongst your peers is equally, and maybe even moreso, important.

Quest mode is good for mechanical and textbook training.
    Live competition is good for mind games.

Having the mechanical skills and textbook knowledge, coupled with a strong mind game, is what you should strive for ultimately.

To summarise:

1. Do all the training and tutorials for your character
    2. Attain the highest rank in quest mode and maintain a high win rate in the last arcade
    3. If you have human competition, remain competitive with them

If you satisfy all three, then consider yourself standing at the foot of the mountain looking up at it's peak.

Ready? GO!

19. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    To think a person got a player to champion in 300 matches when my character has over 300 wins all by herself is just mind blowing. I have a good idea of the other players but I have to refine my usage of them so I can get a better feel for them. The one weakness I really have is that i don't have anybody to fight against that isn't the CPU and it is killing me that I don't get a chance to see the how I might do against a really good human player. The quest mode forced me to focus on the basics especially with my Pai character being as limited as she is because of the perfect defense they play against her. I have other decently ranked people too but to get champion ranked in 300 to 500 matches is crazy. I am surprised this guy don't take part in the actual tournament played in Japan.

20. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    shadowmaster said:
    I have other decently ranked people too but to get champion ranked in 300 to 500 matches is crazy. I am surprised this guy don't take part in the actual tournament played in Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are joking, right? This is Quest Mode. It has very little to do with actual versus play, maybe you could make yourself familiar with some mechanics, but that's pretty much it. Doing a 100% wins run to highest rank in Quest isn't even a feat. It's like completing your regular FPS game on normal difficulty.