1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How many matches does it take to Master a character?

Discussion in 'General' started by Darrius_Cole, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:

[ QUOTE ]
    shadowmaster said:
    I have other decently ranked people too but to get champion ranked in 300 to 500 matches is crazy. I am surprised this guy don't take part in the actual tournament played in Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are joking, right? This is Quest Mode. It has very little to do with actual versus play, maybe you could make yourself familiar with some mechanics, but that's pretty much it. Doing a 100% wins run to highest rank in Quest isn't even a feat. It's like completing your regular FPS game on normal difficulty.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need a bit of luck. You can easily blow by the arcades with the dan level competition you need to rank up. So then you have to back track and waste time getting the ranks you need.

2. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    [ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:

[ QUOTE ]
    shadowmaster said:
    I have other decently ranked people too but to get champion ranked in 300 to 500 matches is crazy. I am surprised this guy don't take part in the actual tournament played in Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are joking, right? This is Quest Mode. It has very little to do with actual versus play, maybe you could make yourself familiar with some mechanics, but that's pretty much it. Doing a 100% wins run to highest rank in Quest isn't even a feat. It's like completing your regular FPS game on normal difficulty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry that I don't feel like mastering a game like this.I play it to have fun not to dominate it. To win the game never losing a battle and getting champion ranked in a few hundred matches takes more then just raw skill and endless practice. There is the unknown factor and some luck as well. The best have both and even though I look at videos and see them do the same moves I do they will always do better then me no matter what. Plus there are times you face people that give a harder time then normal or you just face character you have a hard time against naturally regardless of how long you practice against them

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

You are missing my point. You said that you were suprised "this guy" didn't take part in "actual tournaments in Japan" - just because someone has the skill, practice and luck to breeze through Quest mode undefeated, they should take parts in tournaments? Believe me, I know people who have all characters at Champion with 100% wins, yet they suck immensely in versus play (they don't even use their 100% characters against people, so their record isn't "stained").

There's a difference between "mastering a character" and "mastering a character in vs CPU play". Of course you're free to use the game in any way you wish, but one needs to realize this is mainly a competitive, 1 on 1 versus game - and mastering it should be analyzed in those terms.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just to put this into further perspective, "this guy" (i.e. me) has tried his hand at tournaments in Japan, and didn't really do to well. I tried to qualify for ote4 and lost in the first round to a Goh player. During that same trip, a group of friends and I competed in a Beat Tribe tournament, and lost in the prelims in the first round. While it was team based, I lost my first and only game.

All this is to tell you that even if you have no problem going through Quest Mode and maintaining a high win rate, it means very little in the real world against real, talented players. If anything, I am grateful for Quest mode in that it allows me to practice my motor skills, hit checking, defensive techs and general textbook VF, but it'll never make you a master.

5. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    [ QUOTE ]
    GLC said:

You are missing my point. You said that you were suprised "this guy" didn't take part in "actual tournaments in Japan" - just because someone has the skill, practice and luck to breeze through Quest mode undefeated, they should take parts in tournaments? Believe me, I know people who have all characters at Champion with 100% wins, yet they suck immensely in versus play (they don't even use their 100% characters against people, so their record isn't "stained").

There's a difference between "mastering a character" and "mastering a character in vs CPU play". Of course you're free to use the game in any way you wish, but one needs to realize this is mainly a competitive, 1 on 1 versus game - and mastering it should be analyzed in those terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I seemed shock it was because of the number of total matches they had. I may fall under the same category as the people you are talking about since I don't play against anyone of any skill level close to my own. I might very well suck against a human player until I adjust to the moves used against me. The game had taught me the basics but in order to master them completely versus the CPU and human players that is something different I am fully aware of that. Thanks for clarifying things for me and I must apologize for saying such a stupid thing when I did thank you.

6. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Srider already posted the answer on page 1. All of this discussion is unneccesary.

7. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

I started playing VF in the summer for about two months, and i have a "hunter" ranked akira, with a record of i think 650s win and 380s lost. i can do all of akira's combos consistently except for the should ram follow by the double palms, and the knee combo. Im currently in the last arcade, but im somewhat struggled with the higher ranked CPU, namely Pai and kage (god damn i hate pai). i can say that im very comfortable with VF now. does that makes me an intermediate VF player or am i still just a beginner? /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    [ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:

I started playing VF in the summer for about two months, and i have a "hunter" ranked akira, with a record of i think 650s win and 380s lost. i can do all of akira's combos consistently except for the should ram follow by the double palms, and the knee combo. Im currently in the last arcade, but im somewhat struggled with the higher ranked CPU, namely Pai and kage (god damn i hate pai). i can say that im very comfortable with VF now. does that makes me an intermediate VF player or am i still just a beginner? /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't know until you played a human player that is of a high skill level. As it was mentioned in the thread you can master the CPU and go undefeated and lose to an average human player with decent skill that don't know their character as well as you do. Personally I feel my ability in VF is average and only that and I have beaten the game with the character you hate the most Pai. The few matches I had against other skilled players tell me I am no better then 6 out of 10 based to limited matches I played so far I won't know if I got any better since then unless I played people better then me I haven't since then and I don't have anyway to know for certain if I am better. Anyway that is the answer play human players better then you only then will you know how good you are.

9. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

im not comenting on how good i am, just simply ask for opinion on what skill level i would be on.

10. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

You're still a beginner.

11. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:
    i have a "hunter" ranked akira, with a record of i think 650s win and 380s lost. i can do all of akira's combos consistently except for the should ram follow by the double palms, and the knee combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to discourage you or anything, but when someone talks about their quest mode record followed by what moves he can and can't do in their question of asking whether or not he is a beginner or not is a simple sign of newbieness. =3

Just keep training, man.

12. IronFists

IronFists Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Oioron said:

You're still a beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]

no YOU'RE a beginner.

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    [ QUOTE ]
    IronFists said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Oioron said:

You're still a beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]

no YOU'RE a beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, thread bumpage! +1

At least you used the correct "you're."

On topic:

Depends on character, your hand dexterity (huhuhu), and human opponents.

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

ur avatar looks like Mario /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Is Borat.

16. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

DO U LIKEA ME?

17. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    My wife, she is dead.

She died in the field. She was working.

I have a new wife, she is very niiiiice. WAWAWEWA!

18. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:
    Not trying to discourage you or anything, but when someone talks about their quest mode record followed by what moves he can and can't do in their question of asking whether or not he is a beginner or not is a simple sign of newbieness. =3

Just keep training, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

/versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif , maddy, my akira idol. such condescending words from you.

19. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

condescending? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

condescending? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif