1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to do Akira's KNEE

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Plague, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I use a pad for Virtua fighter pretty exclusively now.

I can't move fast enough on a stick and am able to perform all of Akira's "Jedi input" moves at maximum speed on a controller not to mention my method for performing the knee is pretty much perfect without having to re-map any of the buttons.

My EX2 stick is lying about unused unless I'm playing streetfighter.

Joypad Akira = Instabeast

2. Judah

Judah Well-Known Member

For the knee, just maybe. I feel like Akira is made of a bigass lump of dog crap and metal shavings when I try him on a pad.

3. verdisQUO

verdisQUO Member

I was never able to preform the need with a pad. Just bought a stick today, and I was able to pull it off, but not as consistent as I would like. So now, I'm practicing on getting it down.

4. Ayi

Ayi Member

I'm a Kage Player but I use akira too... I can perform Akira's knee whem i'm playing... I got use to it when I play VF2 on my computer... If you perform akira's knee on vf2, its sure that you can perform it on VF5 easier... That's what happen to me... HEHEHE...

5. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to VFDC. Enjoy your stay but stay the fuck away from posting in ancient threads for no reason [​IMG]

Nice to meet you.

6. Manjoume

Manjoume Well-Known Member

I've been playing Akira (in general) on stick and have been able to pull off the knee after some work. I haven't tried it on pad.

Is Akira really easier on pad, or is it just the knee? I typically think that fighting games are more fitting on a stick than pad (with the except of MK9 but even that is also more than playable on stick).

7. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    I use a pad and I've been playing around with Akira.

He is very easy to use since you can map button combinations to the triggers and it helps a lot for his more complicated attacks, but the knee is extremely hard to pull off.

It can be done, but not in a reliable manner to be worth using.

8. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I struggle with KNEE on pad though i'm sure there's an easy way to do it, if you're good with the pad and play VF with the pad a lot i'm sure you can use Akira fine.

That said, I bet there's a few things that could be carpal tunnel inducing. Buffering SDE consistently without losing any frames for example.

9. Feck

10. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

If you can do Yoshimitsu's j/f Manji Fist, then you can do Akira's knee... It requires the exact input (except Yoshimitsu's move requires a 2+aB, if that makes any sense)...

If you're messing with it on pad, it should be easier if you change the face button layout. Make the Y button G, and the B button K. From there, just slide your thumb down (or side swap) quick enough so that you're only hold G for 1 frame...

I'm not a pad player, but I can be when I have to. I used this trick on 4EVO when I didn't have my stick around, and pad was the only thing available. But back then, I played Akira more consistently, so the only thing hindered was really box stepping...

11. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I'd argue that Yoshi's iMCF is harder than knee.

Knee you need to push K+G together then release K after 1F.

iMCF you need to push A then release after 1F, and push B on that same frame where you released.

12. jinxhand

Well, for me it's about the same. By numbers it's not the same, but imo the actual motion feels the exact same...

You have to release G after 1f, not K.

13. Feck

What noodalls said was the right way around, the input for G has to be shorter than the input for K. Though it seems like you don't really have to hold K for longer than 1f, tapping both buttons quickly for KNEE works fine as long as the G input is marginally shorter, you can get a successful KNEE with both inputs showing up as 1 frame.

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I've never seen that work. I don't think there is an input shorter than one frame. G is held down for only one frame and K must be two or more. If I hold K for only one frame, the input is registered either as K, G or K+G.

KNEE = Press K+G for one frame and release G for the very next frame whilst still holding K.

15. jinxhand

Yeah that's pretty much it...

16. Feck

I presume if I hold K for long than one frame then the game would round that up and display 2f, since the game doesn't display less than 1f i'm sure that what I posted is why I can do KNEE and get both inputs to show as 1f.

Would a vid help explain what I mean?

Just checked in dojo quick and the inputs I mostly get for each successful KNEE are like this.

1 [K]+[G]
    1 [K]

Sometimes i'll get this.

1 [K]+[G]
    2 [K]

Maybe i'm misunderstanding the information on display here but those numbers are only stating how long the button is held for right? If that's the case then i'm only "holding" [K] for 1 frame, if I tap K on it's own but in the same way I tap it when i'm doing KNEE then it shows as 1f.

The way I input it I pretty much tap both buttons identically.

17. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Yep, sorry typo.

18. jinxhand

Real talk, get Myke or someone with a dope recording setup and make a tut for this, and other j/f moves that people have trouble with...

It would definitely help those who are interested in learning the game...

Plus, this has been long going since waaaaaay back in the day... Matter o' fact, isn't this like the 314159265th thread pertaining to this single move???

19. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Knee is actually impossible with crappy buttons. My tip is buy some sanwa or seimitsu and whatever you have, make sure it's clean. If you have sticky buttons they may be unable to register the [G] for just a frame.

20. Feck

There's enough advice in this thread and elsewhere on the forums for people that want to learn the move to get the jist of it. There is too much conflicting advice about this one move though so a nicely done tutorial could help people who struggle with the move.

I've been trying to tell people that you can just tap both buttons for years and everytime it gets straight up debunked, I look at the command list where it clearly says "release [G] within 1 frame" then I check out how I do it in the game and I can't tell if i'm easily confused or straight up mad.

Even though I personally don't understand where holding [K] or holding any of the buttons comes into it, I can appreciate Plagues post as he explained how he inputs it pretty well.