1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How to register and watch at Nico nico douga.

Discussion in 'Help' started by Adio, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Ok, with the VF5R location test in full swing people (myself included) are chomping at the bit for any new clips they can find. To that effect we’re searching harder and farther to find more info which has led some of us to “Nico nico douga”; a Japanese site in the same vein as the familiar Youtube.

Unfortunately, unlike Youtube, Nico nico douga doesn’t just let anyone use their site, you have to register. Add to this setback a language barrier and you have a lot of people who’ll just cut their losses and look for clips elsewhere. The problem is though is that many of the clips that appear on Nico nico douga don’t appear elsewhere and are superior in quality to Youtube (on the whole, plus it has a repeat feature!) so people who pass on it are missing out…

But fear not comrades; just follow these simple steps and you too can expand your capacity for VF5R coverage. Let’s begin:

1. Follow this link: https://secure.nicovideo.jp/secure/register

2. The first box prompts for your email address. NOTE: You must use a real address otherwise your registration will not work.

3. The second box asks for your username.

4. The third section is where you can select an avatar; feel free to ignore this if you wish.

5. Your gender: “Male” or “Female” respectively.

6. Date of birth: This is in year, month and day format.

7. State/Location: While I guess you can select any of the options given I chose the very last one (overseas).

8. Your password: Input it in both boxes and ensure that they’re identical.

9. “Secret answer question”: This is the step you’ll have to take in the future if you forget your password, so make sure you come up with something that you’ll recognise. The first box is your question while the second is your answer to the above question.

10. Your account package: The top one is the premium one while the bottom one is the free account. However, if you’re using this guide then chances are that you aren’t fluent in Japanese, nor do you intend to make the most of Nico nico douga’s features beyond watching exclusive VF clips… So choose the bottom one.

11. Click on the big black “Register” button.

12. The next page will confirm your information and ask you to type in a word code at the bottom of the page. The button next to this prompt merely resets the code so ignore it unless you can’t understand the first code.

13. Click on the big black “Register” button directly underneath the text code. Right, almost done…

14. You’ll receive a confirmation email in the account you specified (so make sure it’s a real one!), simply click on the link to activate your account and that’s that; you’ve registered to Nico nico douga!

15. When you login the first box will be for your email address while the second will be your password. Easy.

You can’t miss the search function on the main page as it says “keyword search” at the top. Typing "vf5r" is enough to find what you want.

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Awesome information. Thanks for that.

3. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to do all that.

4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Thanks!

5. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Thank you very much.

6. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
  7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Nice find, KoD!

For convenience, I've hacked together some quick links that you can add to your bookmarks, which will use the niconico smXXXXXXX code and automatically load it up at the d.hatena.ne.jp site.

It works in one of two ways:

1. select the bookmark, and then enter the XXXXXXX id (without the sm) into the prompt, hit enter.

2. highlight the XXXXXXX id on the page you're currently browsing, then select the bookmark and you'll be automatically taken to the page (i.e. no prompting).

All you need to do is create a new bookmark with the address specified below according to your browser. I've only done this for IE, Firefox and Opera so sorry if it doesn't work for other browsers.

Firefox and Opera:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" style="height: 34px;"><pre>javascript:q=document.getSelection();if(!q){void(q=prompt('Enter niconico id smXXXXXXX (without the sm)',''))};if(q)location.href='http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm'+escape(q)]Opera</pre></div></div>

Internet Explorer:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" style="height: 34px;"><pre>javascript:q=(document.frames.length?'':document.selection.createRange().text);for(i=0;i<document.frames.length;i++){q=document.frames.document.selection.createRange().text;if(q!='')break;}if(q=='')void(q=prompt('Enter niconico id smXXXXXXX (without the sm)',''));if(q)location.href='http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm'+escape(q)</pre></div></div>

8. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

I'm having the weirdest problem with the site. I can register, and it works. But if I try to log in ever it doesn't. I tried it numerous times and I find it very strange.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Or, if I may implore, could I just use someone else's log in and password? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Regards.

9. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

The site requires you to input your email address and then your password to login. One of my earlier mistakes was to type in my username and password.

If that doesn't work then you can still watch nico douga clips when they're posted via the link that KoD provided:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/smXXXXXXX

Just replace the "smXXXXXXX" part with the clips actual code in the address bar and you're good to go. Hope that helps.

10. Isoulle

Isoulle Member

*Blinks*

Wow, I thought you used Username. Well, that changes everything.

It works perfectly now. Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

11. RORY

RORY Well-Known Member

XBL:
    RORORORORORO
    I dont know if this has been posted before but heres a way to search and watch videos from nicovideo without signing up

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html

you can either type VF5/VF5R into the search or copy and paste a
    nicovideo url.

12. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Nice find that spares us the hassle to reg at Nico.

13. Fu_unji_kun

Fu_unji_kun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    None Other
    if you need help with japanese, send me pm.
    i could able to help you out.