1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

HOWTO: Mod VSHG single switch PS3 / X360

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by KoD, Nov 6, 2007.

1. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

In order to solder on the PBC, you have to remove the black coating from the contacts. Just scrape it off lightly with a cutter knife or something.

2. Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Active Member

I modded a HRAP3 a while ago for a friend of mine and from memory, there is a point on the opposite side of the board that you can use to solder a wire to, to use as a guide button. The point is very small and you have to scrape a little of the protective coating off, but it will allow you to use the button as normal.

To find the point, use a multimeter set to continuity and trace it from the actual button contacts (under rubber contact). There used to be a tutorial for it (what I used) but it doesn't exist anymore for some reason. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

3. newgen

newgen New Member

hey dreamcazman, could you take a picture of your pcb to show me exactly where to look? i'd really appreciate it.

4. Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Active Member

I don't have a HRAP3, it was a friend's and I don't have a picture, sorry. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

5. purbeast

purbeast New Member

I currently have a SF:AC joystick that was for Xbox, that I modded to work on Xbox360.

I just ordered a Cthulhu board and now wanted to wire up the PCB to the stick, so that it can work on the PS3 as well.

Iniitially I was going to just have 2 wires running out of it, but after reading it seems that it's possible to do it so they both work off the same USB with a switch.

I was wondering if anyone has any detailed instructions on this procedure if you were going to use an Xbox360 controller as the backbone of the joystick (using the xbox360 USB cable as the one to power and play the joystick).

Thanks.

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    The instructions are in the first post of this thread. I realize that the VSHG being discussed has a PS3 backbone. The concept is the same, though. Good luck.

7. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

there are instructions that come with the cthulhu kit to piggyback with a 360 pcb. just follow the instructions on the first post how to wire to a switch and make everything come off one usb cord.

not the greatest example but it ends up looking something like this http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/akuma001/IMG_0162.jpg

sorry but i don't know of any tutorials to do this but you get the idea with kod's tutorial with the vshg.

8. Seb

Seb New Member

Yop everyone
    I already made a dual VSHG thanks to KOD many months ago, and I want to make another dual one, but I do not remember if the RED V and Black Ground of the two USB pins have to be linked together like all the other signals?
    I made a crappy paint pic:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2e1b1o6.jpg

9. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Yes, the pad that's being hacked needs to get +5v and ground off of the usb thats plugged into the console.

10. Seb

Seb New Member

As always, big thanks KoD /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

11. dobiqwolf

dobiqwolf Member

Hi , I mod my VSHG bt i got a problem, when using it as PS3 the select and L2 stays active all the time, how can I fix it, i checked all the wiring but nothing, I am thinking of adding a switch for the +5v so only one pcb works at a time because it could be the problem.

12. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Isn't going to work unless both pcbs are powered, thats the general rule.

When you say you checked all the wiring, did you use a multimeter?

13. Rowgun

Rowgun New Member

Hi, I did this mod with a late model madcatz controller. Everything's wired up and the buttons are functional on my laptop and on the system, but something weird's going on- when it's plugged into the 360, my receiver freaks out and keeps trying to auto-detect the system's sound. Any idea what might be causing this?

14. dobiqwolf

dobiqwolf Member

hi, sorry for late reply but real life things took over for a while. Yes I checked but i may had do something wrong, can you explain what I should check please.

15. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Put a multimeter across the contact pad for the select button (one probe on one side, other probe on the other). If there's continuity, you have a short somewhere - look for solder on the contacts, disconnect the signal wire running to the select button, etc.

For L2, did you just glue the potentiometer in place, or are you trying to tie it down with resistors so you can use it as a button?

16. dobiqwolf

dobiqwolf Member

Thank you KOD for the reply, I will check again with multimeter, I am using madcatz arcade stick for the xbox pcb and I glued the potentiometer and I soldered 1 cable from the midle of the potentiometer (Left Trigger), it works fine when on xbox mode, I didnt use any resistors, do i need to?
    and I forgot to tell you that I dont have a ps3 at home so I checked on windows control panel, coul dit be a windows related problem?
    thank you for your time.

17. Organelle

Organelle Member

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how much would it cost to have this mod done to my VSHG? I am pretty terrible with mods that require rather technical hardware manipulation. So, help would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help! =D And ... I am located in the NYC area, so I don't know if that helps or hurts the endeavor.

18. Organelle

Organelle Member

Is it safe to assume no one is doing anymore modding?

19. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

The mods have been done... I'm repairing mostly now.

If you're looking for someone to do it for you, you might have more luck on shoryuken.com.

The people that do mods here have said so in various threads in this forum. Try sending them a PM to see if they'll help you out.

20. Organelle

Organelle Member

Thanks for the req Yupa, I will definitely give it a shot.