1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Aoi playable with only reversals and grapples?

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by VF2011, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    VF2011 raises interesting discussions. Sticky.

2. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

Tai Boku Taoshi doesn't do more damage than Kirie Otoshi since Kirie Otoshi has a guaranteed follow up (down attack). The guaranteed down attack raises the total damage to 67. Its damage exceeds Tai Boku Taoshi. Waki Garami can be escaped mid way just like Chou Garami. Breaking one over the other is in reference to FS. I explained every direction to show the efficiency of each one and why he shouldn't rely on grabs alone so it's up to him how to use it against others.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The down attack isn't guaranteed in FS as far as I can see. Which is why I said what I did [​IMG]

4. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    I'm pretty sure it's still guaranteed. I even saw some successful ground throws attempts. In short, it seems that it's still like in vanilla.

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm pretty sure it isn't, so we'll see who is correct in the summer. [​IMG]

6. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Reversals are best utilized when they're effectively played off pokes and other quick strikes. As an Aoi player, if I don't sell the threat to my opponent of using pokes to engage in quick-strike exchanges before attempting any reversals, then I expect to set myself up to either get floated immediately with a launcher move or get thrown and tossed around like a rag doll. Regardless of outcome, both scenarios present big-time lose-lose situations for Aoi that would indeed render her unplayable in that fashion.

I agree with others stating the most damaging kind of attacks from Aoi comes from combos... most of which has already been brought up by Tiripsem.

With that said, I'm a grapple/throw oriented Aoi player as I find myself more comfortable playing that style. However, I also understand I have to use pokes and other crafty tactics in order to keep my opponent off-balance with any attack strategy I want to employ.

Kruza

7. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    New (and maybe some more experienced) Aoi players should note that you have to delay the down attack after her 270 back throw a little bit. If you don't do this, the down attack is NOT guaranteed. The easiest way to do this consistently is to input 443p instead of just 3p, that's all it takes for it to become guaranteed.

I think this has to do with her being off-axis after the throw. I know Lau has this after his back-to-wall 4 throw, where his down attack will just whiff if you don't do a little dash first.

8. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    It may be what Krye said about the 44 required to make the down attack guaranteed. The Aoi player may have screwed the input. Or the victim had some really good struggling ability.
    I have seen a lot of FS Aoi videos, and I would have noticed if a down attack wasn't free anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8vbJb4MsBw
    5th round
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIICM9AVSwM
    2nd round
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnTYAo3Gh8g
    4th round
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj6NbvCNa88
    2nd round

You didn't see really far..

Anyway, we're talking about VF5, not FS, and down attack free after 2684P+G.

9. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

Interesting. I always input [3][3][P] to ensure the down attack. Aoi is off axis after the throw like you said. Inputting [4][4][3][P] or [3][3][P] will ensure the down attack.

10. SilentNephilim

SilentNephilim Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SilentNephilim
    XBL:
    SilentNephilim
    Reversals are best used mainly if your opponent is being predictable. Even then she has other things like her Tenchi stance and sabakis. I mainly play my Aoi as an aggressive mix up character

11. SilentNephilim

SilentNephilim Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SilentNephilim
    XBL:
    SilentNephilim
    Making use of her cancels comes in handy :3