1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jacky Bryant: General Discussion and Q & A

Discussion in 'Jacky' started by Chibiaya, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    watch my stream tomorrow. i will be doing a jacky q & a live

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    You essentially cannot repeat a move in wallcombo to a good effect. Best not try to, unless its a refloat like a P.

Id imagine its a question of damage what move wallsplats and what doesn't.. [6][6][K] is often your best bet since its 15 frames ie. pretty fast.

Try this next time:
    wallsplat -> [4][K] -> [4][K]+[G] -> [3][P][P][P]+[K] (wallslump) -> [2][P] -> [7][K]
    Not sure what weights this works on, but should work on most. You can omit the [4][K] from the beginning if it makes the combo more consistent..

PurpGuy likes this.
  3. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. I was actually working on something similar, though yours gets a few more points of damage.

However, your combo runs into the same problem mine does - it's stance-specific, which I forgot to mention I can't do either (lots of things I can't do).

In open-stance, [2][P] -> [7][K] works, but in closed-stance, I have to omit the [2][P] and go straight to the flipkick, else the flipkick will whiff. I was having the same problem with what I was using, which is basically the same as yours, except I was using [4][P][P] instead of [3][P][P][P][+][K] (your version is better). Annoyingly, I can't omit the [2][P] in open-stance, because the flipkick whiffs there without it.

I've tried dashing in or evading after the wall-slump, but it still requires the user to know which stance they're in. Jacky needs to be on the side of the front leg, since that seems to be what he's hitting with the flipkick. It does work if you're in the 'wrong stance' but you've walked slightly to the 'correct' side before you start the combo, but that doesn't seem practical in actual play.

I did find something that works in both stances, though it's about 10 points less damage. It's the same as your combo, except, after the [P][P][P][+][K], I just do [4][6][K][+][G]. I tried [1][P][+][K] and [6][P] combinations, as well as [6][6][K][+][G] and [1][P][K], but they all come up a point or two short compared to [4][6][K][+][G].

PurpGuy likes this.
  4. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Alright, courtesy of my brother (Elite/Koenraku), the best I have now is:

Wallsplat > [4][K][+][G] > [1][P][+][K][P][P] > [7][K].

The heeldrop will bound, the combination will cause a slump, and then the flipkick will finish off. Tested on Jean, Jacky, and Wolf, so I'm assuming it works on all.

Also, I've found that if the wallsplat is [6][6][K], you can get in a [6][K] before the [4][K][+][G]. The [6][K] will cause a second wallsplat, so it's basically a free hit.

PurpGuy likes this.
  5. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    I still dont know why you refuse to learn the iai combos. They just do more damage. But to each his own playstyle. Iai is so important to jacky's overall game.

PurpGuy likes this.
  6. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

You do know, because I've told you - I can't do Iaigeri consistently enough for it to work in my favour. I have practised for multiple hours, and even in training mode, I can only get about 65%-70% success rate, and that's when I only have to watch for it. In practical play, when I try it (which I usually do in Ranked against weak players), I have less than 50% success rate.

It just isn't worth it to me to have all the dropped combos happen just so that every once in a while I can squeeze out an extra 10-20 points of damage. It's not that I refuse to learn them - I just can't execute them.

PurpGuy likes this.
  7. Chibiaya

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    Practice makes perfect, But it is good that you are still playing jacky. Honestly i think you should just play tons of games and grind out using that move until you can. Thats how i learned it :)

PurpGuy likes this.
  8. Jacky22

Jacky22 Active Member

I have to agree, if you play Jacky, you need Iageri, otherwise, use someone else, it sounds cruel, but thats the truth.:(

Training mode is fine, however, you will only learn the timing and the "feeling" if you use the Iageri in real battles.

I first made the same mistake, practice in Trainingmode, but too scared of a failed Iageri and thus not using it in real battles, however thats simply wrong: it doesn't matter if you launch your opponent, you only have 5% life left, and a succesfull combo ends the round, use that damn Kick, even if you lose because of a dropped combo, you will only learn it that way, they payoff this Kick delivers is simply so good, totally worth the trouble.

Hell, not using Iageri is like using Kazuya in Tekken and refusing to learn Electricity WindGodFist, and instead using the inferior WindGodfist:rolleyes:

I'm playing this game now for over 2 Months, over 4000 Battles fought, and I can do this kick around 8/10 times, I only met a handful of Jacky players on psn that actually used the Iageri, and I am now one of them too, that makes me really proud.:cool:

I got many many hatemails complaining about "Lag" and " your sh!t only hits because of lag" when using Iageri->Ellbow or Iageri->Beat Knuckle etc. on Oki:p

JackymusPrime and PurpGuy like this.
  9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

"I have to agree, if you play Jacky, you need Iageri, otherwise, use someone else, it sounds cruel, but thats the truth."

That's not 'the truth' at all - it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it as much as I'm entitled to mine. Would I be better if I could use Iaigeri consistently? Yes. Do I believe I have the skill level to reach such a place? No. It's that simple for me. As I've said, I do practice the Iaigeri in fights when possible, but I don't use it in hard fights where a failed combo would result in losing 50 points of damage just to gain the chance to get an extra 15 points more.

Also, the way I play, I don't find myself using many abilities that allow for Iaigeri combos. With the exception of the heel drop (which I do use frequently), I don't usually launch/bounce opponents, so it's really not that big of a problem for me. I do well enough, and the fights I lose are very very rarely due to my combos being a bit weaker - it's usually because I get out-skilled, make the wrong call in forced choice situations etc.

PurpGuy and Elite like this.
  10. trap15

trap15 Member

XBL:
    trap0xF
    Just did a bit of messing around in Dojo while talking with a friend about combos, and Iaigeri requires cancel on 15th or 16th frames only after the forward kick. It does get a bit easier when you figure out a rhythm (the fact that it's on a nice 1/4 division of a second makes the rhythm that much easier to figure out), but it definitely does take practice. I'm still pretty awful at it.

PurpGuy likes this.
  11. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Alright, you Jacky players. One quick question. how would you compare Sarudera to Anaguma?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  12. Zekiel

Zekiel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zekiel-_
    Anaguma is more solid and he gets better dmg of of combos. Sarudera uses unecessary moves like 4kkk. Anaguma also has better okizeme set up and takes more risks.

PurpGuy likes this.
  13. DK

Yeah, i was watching a game between the two. From what I remember, it was close but Anaguma won. Thanks Zekiel. :)

PurpGuy likes this.
  14. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I do not believe such a thing exists as an "unnecessary move". Not in this context anyway. Jackys 4K is possibly his best way to change stance with an attack.

That said, I have not seen abovementioned players play much so I do not comment on the matter.

PurpGuy likes this.
  15. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

So why comment? #IJS

16. DK

Ok, so I've been playing Jacky a little, see of I like him. I do, however, I was wondering that is it necessary to be able to perform the flash kick [6_][K]:[G] and if so, what is a normal success rate for people who main Jacky?

17. BlondieVF5

BlondieVF5 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BLONDIE_hydra
    I have mained jacky for a long time. If your in North America, you should shelve jacky. Online is not sufficient comp to get past snap kick lag problems. Offline jacky is a beast, but in a competitive setting his gimmick shuffles and strings can get you in a world of hurt from someone with good fuzzy.

PurpGuy likes this.
  18. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    The way I see it, Iaigeri is like Jacky's EWGF; If you can't EWGF with a Mishima, you're gimping your game because it's an essential part of the character's gameplay. Although you can get away with it with Heihachi a bit less severely, you can similarly play around it with Jacky by using his other tools -- online you can easily win with pretty much just 1P+K string, flipkick and throws -- but you're still limiting yourself and the character which won't be in it's full glory without it.

19. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Bullshit... I spent a full year practicing the Iageri till it became second nature... I can do it online and offline with a solid 2 and 3 bar. Jacky is a beast period. Im in north America and im not shelving anything. Gimmicks are just that.. You need solid fundamentals to use Jacky.. you dont have that then you shelf him.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  20. Jacky22

Jacky22 Active Member

Thats true, but you cant deny, lag is bad for Jacky, and good for Shun/Lei/Pai etc.

PurpGuy likes this.