1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeffry: Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by Myke, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Jeffry
    Text - Kyasao

Is there an important changed element amongst his few altered moves?
    He does have new moves, but none that are really going to become key. Utilise his old fighting strategies and new change moves.

Basically, EVO style is OK

Amongst all the characters, Jeffry is the one with the fewest types of new moves or changes. Because of this, his strategies are basically the same as previously but perhaps by taking notice of the changes to his special moves you can causes a change in your win-ratio.

One of these moves is the ducking low ([2][K]+[G]). On large counter it now knocks down, and with a down combo follow up you can add damage. It can be used in a mixup with throw after having blocked the opponents attack, and is useful in use against an abare opponent.

The most exciting change is the Raging Clash (Threat stance [P]+[G]). Although the only moves that lead into thread stance are the straight knuckle~body blow ([P][P]) and the heavy back knuckle ([4][P]+[K]), it used to be that all attacks from the thread stance could be avoided towards the opponents front, so this is very important. Where you have guaranteed [P] counter, you can [P][P] and then mix up between the Threat [P]+[G] or counter side kick (threat stance [K]).

About the change moves

The A2 elbow stamp (VF4 version) will knock down on coutner, but it's initiation is 17 frames. Also, on guard it's mid-size punch counterable, so if you had to pick, A1 would be the recommendation.

About the B change moves, the B2 Hell Stab ([P]+[K]) is recommended. It's high until the third hit, but the first hit is 13 frames, and it's guaranteed until the 3rd hit, which knocks down.

Captions
    - There is one change to the body lift ([4][P]+[G]). After grabbing them, with [8] or [2] you can choose the direction you throw them in.
    - If the [P] connects you can go through to threat stance. Against an abare opponent the counter side kick will hit them, knocking them down with stomach crumple.
    - If you can verify the hit, the A1 elbow stamp is probably recommended.
    - If you guard an evade attack, up until the machine gun hell stab ([P]+[K][P][P]) is guaranteed. It also takes off 2 drink points.

Footnotes

What's the feeling on the air slam ([9][P]+[G])? After the knee attack ([6][K]), full swinging double hammer ([4][6][6][P]+[K]) etc. and moves that launch high, the air slam is guaranteed. It is a followup, but what about the damage? A small dash to elbow upper ([6][6][P][P]) is better, as the okizeme is easier to apply.

Source: Arcadia Issue 52
    Translated by: noodalls

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

"machine gun stamp" = [6][6][P]+[K]?

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Typo, that should have read "Machine Gun Hell Stab", the B2 Change move:

Hell Stab [P]+[K]
    Double Hell Stab [P]+[K][P]
    Machine Gun Hell Stab [P]+[K][P][P]

I've corrected the post.

4. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

many thanks to myke and noodalls for the translation /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif. two of my characters down just my main to go now (shun.....*wink, wink*).

observations and questions:
    i'm kind of surprised the arcadia issue didn't mention the [P]+[K],[P] at all. the increased execution speed is a huge change to jeffry's game imo (and should have a noticable change to his gameplay style compared to evo). the big increase in its usage that i've seen in all the jeffry vids seems to confirm that. although 1/60th still seem to have a lot of updating to their lists to do, i think they're right about the increase in execution speed (just a hunch after watching the jeff vids). with that said, its interesting to me that they're recommending that jeffry players actually pick the alternative to the standard evo [P]+[K] (the vf4 version). the comparison is a lot like shuns change move choice. either pick the 15 frame elbow style move that beefs up your offensive game or go with the 13 frame three hit guaranteed string that beefs up your ability to punish stuff. also interesting that i see jeff players mostly going with the 15 frame attack move and shun players sticking to the three hit guaranteed string in the vids. will be cool to see how players sticking to the other change moves perform.

[ QUOTE ]

One of these moves is the ducking low ([2][K]+[G]). On large counter it now knocks down, and with a down combo follow up you can add damage. It can be used in a mixup with throw after having blocked the opponents attack, and is useful in use against an abare opponent.

[/ QUOTE ] this sort of brings me to ice-9's question about MCing throws. what kind of CH do you get if you CH them? you hadn't specified in the counterhit thread so i thought i'd ask here. i'm guessing YC but if its red, using [2]+[K]+[G] to CH throws could become a very useful strat. i'm sure other situations will also be found to try and get RC's more with this move but i don't see that happening too often. this isn't the kind of move jeffry's usually try to CH with so i'm guessing the RC will come as more of surprise then anything and require reactive combos from the player.

the threat stance throw certainly does add a ton to his game. aside from okizeme i was thinking it might also be useful to force guessing games after staggers (like after [6]+[K]+[G] or the ground throw pickup stagger). btw is anything guaranteed after the throw conencts??

love the change to [4]+[P]+[G]. it should make jeff that much more effective near walls. he can now push opponents behind him and to his left and right now. btw what does he do if you don't press [8] or [2] after the lift. does he toss them straight forward or some other direction or is it just like evo?

5. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    this sort of brings me to ice-9's question about MCing throws. what kind of CH do you get if you CH them?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get mC against throwattempts normally as the opponent tries to throw you in his advantage (and you RN) so [2][K]+[G] isn't a RN option (use kenka hook instead).

/KiwE

6. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    KiwE said:

[ QUOTE ]
    this sort of brings me to ice-9's question about MCing throws. what kind of CH do you get if you CH them?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get mC against throwattempts normally as the opponent tries to throw you in his advantage (and you RN) so [2][K]+[G] isn't a RN option (use kenka hook instead).

/KiwE

[/ QUOTE ]

wicked thanks for the info /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's YC, so out of luck there. That said, I also think [2][K]+[G] is a good RN tool! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    DanniBoySmith said:

btw what does he do if you don't press [8] or [2] after the lift. does he toss them straight forward or some other direction or is it just like evo?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i wonder about this too. i am thinking that it will be the same as evo, but i am not sure about this.

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

It's the same. Think of it as the exact same throw, except with some options now. The default is of course what was in place for Evo.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

10. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

<font color="white"> Jeffry McWild </font>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="white">Overview</font>

With Jeffry's high damage uri, he is that character that can fight with alot of pressure to the opponent when played with some yomi. In Evo, Jeffry's smaller attacks still carries alot of risk with them, making them difficult to use. In Final Tuned, however, all of them have been improved. Even against lightweights, you can expect to be able to win the matchup. Of course, his style of hitting opponents with a big move remains just as strong as before. With his dodge attack and body lift changed, his offense have been improved dramatically. His is now a character with much less recovery in general.

<font color="white">Change moves</font>

A1 Elbow Stomp ~ Double Impact

[4][P] ~ [P]
    Different than the Evo version, the first hit does not knock down on any hit. For that reason, you should not do the second hit without hit checking the first hit. The first hit is throw guaranteed on guard, and the second is elbow class counterable.

A2 Elbow Stomp (ver. VF4)

[4][P]
    The motion from before makes this move long reaching and easy to hit. On hit it causes a down which you can follow with a big down attack. On guard, it is mid [P] counterable.

B1 Body Stab ~ Double Stab ~ Buzzsaw Kick

[P]+[K] ~ [P] ~ (On Counter Hit) [P]+[G]
    Upper class mid attack follow by hit attack. The second hit can be followed by a hit throw on counter hit. Since the move can be used effectively when the advantage differential is small, the attack potential for this move is rather large. Generally, the move should be stopped after the first hit, and the second hit used sparingly. When you choose to use the second hit, you should just input the hit throw as well.

B2 Hell Stab

[P]+[K] [P] [P]
    The first hit is a heavy [P] class attack, with all three hits being high. This full string can be hit on mC, which should be the main use for this move. Similar to Jeffry's [4][K][P], except this string will cause more damage. Since there are now even more moves that are elbow counterable in FT, there should be much more opportunities to use this move.

<font color="white">New Moves and Key Changes</font>

[3][3][P] - The recovery on guard has been increased, it is now mid [P] counterable. The damage and the float height has been increased, and the evasive property has been changed, you can use it in the same way as before.

[4][K][P] - The damage for both hits has been increased, but the recovery for the second hit is now throw counterable, so you need to assess the risk involved when using this move.

[1][K]+[G] - This is Jeffry's [1][K] from Evo. You can charge it like before, and the move is the same as before. Except with the command change, you can now execute it easier from both standing or crouching.

[6][6][P]+[K] (On Hit) [P]+[G] - The move is mostly the same except the hell claw is now a bit more damaging and the animation for the hit throw is changed.

[6][6][K] - The advantage Jeffry gets from having this move blocked has been increased, following this move by [4][P] can now beat a light [P] class attack. In open stance, [3][P][P] can avoid and hit an opponent's [2][P].

(During Evade) [P]+[K]+[G] - The motion for this move has been renewed, this move no longer knocks down on hit. The evasive property of this move has been improved, so it's easier to use this move compared to before. Since the move will knock the opponent back quite far, you can follow it up with [3][K]. The recovery for the move, however, is more than before. It is now upper class counterable on guard.

(Threat Stance) [P]+[G] - New throw added to threat stance. Use this in conjuction with the [K] option to force a nitaku game in threat stance. Note that like any other throw, this can be beat by any attack from the opponent.

[4][P]+[G] - While the opponent is lifted in the air, you can control the direction of the throw with respect to Jeffry's direction on screen. For example, pushing the lever [8] when Jeffry's facing right would throw the opponent into the screen, which in this case would be Jeffry's left. For this reason, it's now easier to get a wall hit with this throw. Like before, if the opponent perfect TR's the throw, they take no damage. Further more, it's now a bit harder to attack an opponent that successfully TR's the throw.

270[6][P]+[G] - Although the command is now made harder, but the throw no longer has a 1 frame delay due to the absence of the [6][6] command.

(On Crouching Opponent) [3][P]+[K]+[G] - Due to the motion renewal, the opponent now lays face down head towards afterwards, making it easier for okizeme. It's also now possible to use this move as a ring out device.

(Opponent in Air) [9][P]+[G] - New air throw that is possible if your opponent floats into the air. Since there is a height requirement, the height of the float and the distance to the opponent must be checked before the throw is executed. This move also sobers Shun by 2 dps.

(Opponent on ground) [3][P]+[G] - New ground throw that causes 30 damage, the animation is also different depending on the way the opponent is laying down.

Other notes: After a HC with [2][K]+[G], you can combo with [6][6][P][P] or a big down attack. The advantage on HC for [6][6][P][P] is also increased, a knee can now beat a light [P] class attack after HC hit.

<font color="white">Execution Frames for Key Moves</font>

[P] 13
    [P]+[K] (B2) 13
    [6][P] 14
    [4][K] 14
    [P]+[K] (B1) 15
    [3][P] 16
    [6][6][P] 16
    [6][4][P] (A2) 16
    [K] 16
    [3][K] 16
    [2][K]+[G] 16
    [6][K] 17
    [3][3][P] 20
    [4][6][P] 21
    [6][P]+[K] 21

<font color="white">Counter Table</font>

[P][K] -13 (Can only hit standing opponent)
    [4][K][P] -14
    [P]+[K][P][P] (B2) -14 (Can only hit standing opponent)
    [3][P][P] -16
    [K][K][P] -16 (Can only hit standing opponent)
    [6][K] -17
    [4][6][P] -21

Source: Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned Master Guide

11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Ok, so it looks like I'll be choosing A2 and B1. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the info Srider!

12. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

does anyone know any specifics of when the air throw can be applied to improve combos? I saw..

vs Lei fei , closed stance
    3pp, 33p (TR'able), 2p, 9p+g, which looks like about 70 damage.

Anyone know when else this is possible?

13. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Shucks...I remember seeing you ask about this a little while back but I didn't have the time to post. Believe it or not said combo has been discussed a little before...

Into the wayback machine, Sherman!

*I still don't believe you can't TR, btw.

14. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

thanks sanjuro - i wish it coudl ahve been translated... but I guess noodalls is translating them all, and I'm not gonna be the guy whos all "HAY GHURRY UP WITH THSI TOPCI!!'

15. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Actually, I've been thinking about doing Jeffrey's next. I was reading this thread just to see what is known about him, and was kind of surprised to see him jump from somewhere on page 2 to the front page, as I was browsing.

16. noodalls

Jeffrey Combo Maniacs
    Text - H.L.
    Source - Orange Mook
    Translation - Noodalls

[4][6][6][P]+[K] or [3][3][P] or [6][K]
    1. [6_][P] [3][2][3][P] [6][6][P][P]
    2. [6_][P] [4][K] [6][6][P]
    3. [6_][P] [6_][K][K][P]
    4. [6_][P] [3][2][3][P] [6][K]
    5. [6_][P] [6_][P] [6][6][P][P]
    6. [6_][P] [2][P] [6][6][P][P]
    7. [6_][P] [6][6][P][P]
    8. [2][P] [6][6][P][P]
    9. [6][P][4][P]
    10. [6][6][P][P]

Of Jeffrey's three juggle starters, [4][6][6][P]+[K] on normal hit and [3][3][P] on counter hit float about the same height, and [3][3][P] normal hit and [6][K] counter hit float about the same height. Essentially, against light weights if [4][6][6][P]+[K] hits in closed stance go for 2 and in open stance go for 1. If you can determine hit status and stance after every hit, that's good. In closed stance, use 3,7 and 8, and in open stance use 5-8. One thing you want to be careful of, the [6][K] against heavy weights on normal hit. In this instance, where the starter is from closed stance 9 and open stance 10 are all that will connect. Further, you don't have to use combo 4, but when you do go for combo 2 and accidently input the [3][P] it is one option.

[1][K]+[G] maximum charge or [2][K]+[G] heavy counter
    11. [6][6][P][P]

[3][P][P]
    12. [3][3][P] [2][P] [9][P]+[G]
    13. [2][P] [6][6][P][P]
    14. [6][6][P][P]
    15. [6][K]
    16. [2][K]+[G]

Being able to check stances easily after [3][P][P] is one of its strong points. Combo 13 will connect against light weights, combo 14 will work on Brad and Goh in closed stance, otherwise go for 13 when in open stance. Against heavier characters than that, in closed stance use 15 and 16 appropriately, and 14 in open stance. For the characters that 14 won't connect on in closed stance, you can use [4][3][P][P]. Actually, you can tech roll before the first hit of the combo connects, but it requires them to just-ukemi, so you can think of it as a combo. From this starter the highest damage is combo 12, which works against Aoi and Lei Fei in clsoed stance. But, to connect this you need to input [3][3][P] without incurring the 1 frame penalty,. The [4][K] on counter hit gives a float slightly lower than [3][P][P]. Generally, you can only go for combo 16, but there are some hit situations that will allow you to go for 14, so aim for it when you have the chance.

[4][6][P]+[K] or [3][K]+[G]
    17. [6_][P] [6][6][P][P]
    18. [2][P] [6_][K][K]
    19. [6_][P][K][P]
    20. [2][P] [6][6][P][P]

His slam hit combos, when you are in clsoed stance after the hit go for 18, when in open stance 20. Go for a down attack against heavy weights. Also, 17 will work on light weights in open stance, and 19 will connect up to Lion in open stance.

[6][P]+[K] or Threat stance [K] counter hit
    21. [6][6][P][P]
    22. [3][3][P]

When [6][P]+[K] or Threat stance [K] cause stomach crumple, you can go for combo 21 as the basic combo. The damage for the combo part is 30, but that's not including the damage done by the [6][P]+[K] starting the combo. Depending on the condition of the bounce, and on the move that gave the stomach crumple, the damage changes a little, so remember that. Also, more than the [6][P]+[K], the threat stance [K] has quick recovery after it connects, so it's easier to connect combos. Combo 22 with the [3][3][P] drops the damage a little bit, but it is the combo to go for if you want to pressure between ukemizeme and down attacks. If you connect this the opponent will bounce high, and you can down attack them from close range giving a powerful attack after the combo.

Threat stance [P] guarded [P]+[G]
    23. [4][3][P]+[K] [6_][K][K][P]
    24. [6][K]+[G]

After threat stance [P] guarded [P]+[G] connects the most reliable option is 24. Against Brad, Lion, Sarah and Pai, [4][3][P]+[K] if input asap will refloat them, and as a result allow combo 23 to connect. On the other hand, after the first hit you can add [2][K]+[G] to give a foot crumple. It doesn't do as much damage as 23 or 24, but going for it when you are ahead on health is pretty amusing.

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No mistakes that I could pick.

Also, a further translation from the move list.

Air slam
    A move that grabs a falling opponent out of the air and slams them into the ground on the opposite side. You can use it in air combos, but it depends on being close to them, and the other air combos you can go for will give better damage, so it's really a show-off move. When you are pressed up against the ring edge, a mixup between [1][P]+[G] and [6][K] Air throw will let you swap positions with your opponent.

They do use the specific characters for slam (tataki) so I wonder if just-ukemi is possible? Doesn't really specify one way or another.

17. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

thanks noodals! Thats very interesting about his three floater moves! And thats really weird about that 2k+g after the threat stance P ~ P+G.

18. noodalls